Magic Hat Heart of Darkness Stout (-2006)

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 235   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 38   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Our inky-black, oatmeal stout has a smooth, round palate with a dreamlike undercurrent of bittersweet chocolate. This dense liquid-silk summons hope from hibernation and balances winterís endless white snows with a rich swirl of creamy black rapture. Available in the Winter, reintroduced in Winter 2012 after a hiatus.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
IFearNoBeer (15) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - JUN 5, 2002
I love this stuff, itís very similar to my other favorite stout, Dogfish Head Chicory Stout. Donít know which I like better. The Magic Hat is very rich and roasted-tasting, burnt, and a definite bitter chocolate/coffee bite.. a manís beer. If it had slightly less carbonation, itíd be perfect. But thatís just me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 7, 2002
Sour, bitter and smoky. Not my bag, baby.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
21iceman40 (1732) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 2, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2003 How can i not rate this high, its almost as if the eye is looking at me while im writing this. The brew can hold its own though, even without that crazy eye.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Davhgbrew (947) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 19, 2002
Chocolate aroma, kind of a watery initial sip that finishes with a great stout dryness. I like it, but not one of my favortie stouts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
HighlanderOne (1062) - Bergen County, New Jersey, USA - APR 15, 2002
Interesting and unique. This is scary looking stuff. Itís quite dark, has an ugly head, and a strong coffee aroma. But I enjoyed itís flavor, which is like one of those speciality coffees, as well as itís mouthfeel and finish. Definitely one Iíll buy again

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
michael-pollack (4960) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 13, 2002

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
michaelm18 (118) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - APR 13, 2002
Magic Hat continues to surprise me with great brews and Heart of Darkness is no exception. A little thin for a stout but who cares, this beer rocks!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kenned99 (3) - USA - APR 8, 2002 does not count
a great dark stout. bitter yet suprisingly easy to drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SudsMaster (68) - Denville, New Jersey, USA - MAR 23, 2002
A thick dark stout with a hint of sweetness underneath is malty exterior. Liked it more than Sam Smithís Oatmeal Stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Aubrey (3482) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - MAR 12, 2002
Dark as all hell... with a suntanned head. Really nice roasty-toasty-coffee flavors. Body and mouthfeel didnít have as much íheartí as its darkness though; seemed just a little thin. I thought that it needed a little more malt íbackboneí to balance out itís severe robustness. And it seemed to be pretty light on the hops, which isnít necessarily expected in a stout, but itís just something I like. I kind of had a love/hate thing going with this beer. Maybe the mysterious ways of Magic Hat are getting to me?