RATINGS: 766   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Hi.P.A. is a medium-bodied groove with a fresh and fruitful nose of tympanic temptation. It begins and ends with a big hop bite that is itself forever balanced on the brink by a steady rhythm of malt. Dry-hopped for extra quenching in the face of heat and beat, itís an ideal accompaniment to chilling out, turning inward or sailing onward through the music of the night toward the dawn of the mind. Itís the liquid way to say be here now lest you never come this way again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
dsm (109) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - APR 13, 2008
Draft at Bedrock in Baltimore. I liked the citrus and grapefruit tastes in this one, but it was much less hoppy than I thought it would be. I would definitely have it again though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
FridgRaider (108) - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 13, 2006
Reddish brown color, with white head. good balance hops and malts. not much after taste. kinda watered down i think.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
snowtiger (106) - Brighton, Colorado, USA - MAY 22, 2005
Tasting it a little after its prime (probably). Aroma is pleasant, but not very hoppy with some subdued malt. Most of the Columbus character is gone. It pours a beautiful clear dark golden color. The taste is ok, with some hops and malt, and it finishes pleasant and dry. I wish I had tried this beer much earlier.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SwillNoMore (105) - USA - MAR 9, 2007
Bottle, from Duvel tulip, at cellar temp. Best through Jun í07. Clear golden amber color, nice white head leaves a light ring. This one was a shocker. As I poured it, I thought I detected a skunkiness. But this didnít make sense for an IPA. I didnít put two and two together when I read the name "HiPA." ("High," get it? Huh-huh.) I just thought it was Magic Hat being quirky again. After sticking my nose in the glass, the name suddenly made sense: this stuff smells like marijuana! This isnít necessarily shocking, since humulus (hops) and cannabis are related, but that relationship is immediately apparent in this beer, in a way Iíve never experienced. Having been an herbal aficionado in my past, this beer sent memories flooding back (itís been many years since Iíve partaken). I canít help but give this aroma the highest rating. Sadly, the mouthfeel shows only a hint of the oiliness I love so much in hoppy beers. Considering the aroma, Iíd have liked a much more "resinous" palate. Itís fairly light bodied and thin, but the carbonation is just right, and keeps the palate from being dull. Flavor shows a slight sweetness in the foundation, but bitter is the order of the day here. Finishes dry; almost astringent. This would be a new favorite for the aroma alone; luckily, itís a damn good drinker as well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
daniellunsford (105) - - NOV 12, 2012
Pineapple and citrus on the nose. Pours a golden orange with little head. Fresh light pine on the palate with a touch of bitter hops on the finish. I nice light ipa, very sessionable even at 6%abv.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bboven (103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - MAY 24, 2007
I really like this ipa; i just wish I could get more than the three in the joeís sampler pack. One of my top three IPAs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
RIXbeer (102) - USA - AUG 22, 2005
Huge citrus hops. Great mouth feel. Iíve had 5...should I have another? Pouring into glass.....huge head....orangish color (as I hold on eye closed) Another hit from magic hat! a pretty good IPA from South Burlingotn once again!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
michaeltrego (101) - Amherst, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 12, 2004
Very very bitter IPA that is thrown out of balance because of it. Good for about a 6-8 oz try, but hard to go for more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BrewIPA (93) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 19, 2011
Pours a hazy gold with pleasant aroma, hints of citrus. Medium bitter, very well balanced. A wonderful IPA that I plan to buy again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
surf1284 (91) - USA - FEB 10, 2007
Pours a golden orange, with a nice laced head. Citrusy and piny aroma. Flavor was of your typical ipa bitterness. There was just something about this beer that was lacking, cant quite put my finger on it.