Magic Hat Humble Patience

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 245   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.41   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 138   ABV: 4.6%
Red Irish rising, sweet loam of the moor, Slowly, so slowly we watch the art of the pour. Born of the gas whose molecules dance. Born of the flow of a dense liquid trance Feeding the head, feeding the heart Humble Patience is the place we start How long is the ride? How traveled the road? What do we bring to lighten the load? Humble Patience is the thing The ripe revelation that waiting will bring, Humble Patience... How long does it take for soon to be now? OUR IRISH-STYLE ALE POURS SLOWLY, ITS DARK GARNET-RED COLOR CASCADING INTO A RICH, THICK, CREAMY HEAD THAT WILL MAKE YOU WEEP WITH JOY.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
notalush (4763) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 2, 2002
One of my favorite magic hats. Interesting mix of flavors with a nice, chocolate finish. It does have a very strange mouthfeel, but itís one that grows on you. It is really like no other beer out there. However, every once and a while the I get a bottle with an unusual level of bitterness, which makes me lower the rating a little.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 30, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 26, 2003 Cocoa undertones, beautiful dark amber color, mediocore head, slightly bitter aftertaste. Really nice flavor, though, and this is certainly one of my favorite beers. Jan. 26, 2003: OK. I've changed my mind. This is NOT one of my favorite beers anymore. It's been months since I've last had this, and I'm not really sure what I saw in it. It has a great, dry finish, and some pleasant cocoa/nuttiness in the flavor, but it is a little thin. For an Irish ale it is pretty decent: malty and woody and smokey, but it is not inventive or particularly striking.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
mribm (457) - Ocala, Florida, USA - AUG 16, 2002
Looks like Coca Cola, but tastes like chocolate and hops. I would have liked more malt and less hops, however it was still a fine combination. Also, the mouthfeel was a bit strange as others here have said.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
GregL40 (97) - Massachusetts, USA - AUG 15, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2003 Smooth down the hatch. New flavor appears with each sip. Beautiful appearance. Leaves a grin from ear to ear. Re Rate: Donít know what I was thinking last time. I donít even like Irish Red Ales.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 12, 2002
I largely agree with arjan, it has an odd mouthfeel that i dont overly care for. The aroma is quite nice with a mix of malt and spice. The taste is malty, which in general I love, but not so much in this beer. Not very smooth, its not bad, but I cant recomend it.

Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 31, 2002
Dry hopped to hell and back. Nice complex malts make this a treat.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUL 30, 2002
Sept 01: Did I have a different brew than the rest of you? Yes, itís drinkable and Iíll agree on the ícreamy mouthfeelí, but the smoothness isnít accompanied by anything special in the flavor or palate. What IS special is the wonderful apple/spice/citrus nose and the beautiful color and head. Not bad, just not great overall. Aug 02: same overall impression, but Iíve gotten more picky! So new scores reflect that. Recommended with reservations.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopscotch (8776) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JUL 19, 2002
This beer rocks. Although the brewer classifies this as an Irish Red Ale, I believe that it is one of the very best(and very malty)brown ales out there. If it looks like a nut brown, tastes like a nut brown and smells like a nut brown...itís a freakiní nut brown. Go buy a case if you can still find one. I hear they might be more or less replacing this beer with their Humble Patience. A shame.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - JUL 18, 2002
great red ale!! very tasty indeed, somewhat malty,canít wait to have some more!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
stephen (308) - California, USA - JUL 4, 2002
Part of a 9 pack sampler of 3 beers. Drank 2 months before the recommended by date. Good color and aroma is very inviting, however the flavor and aftertaste were a little bitter and astringent for my tastes. It grew on me slightly as I drank the second bottle of three.