Magic Hat Odd Notion - American Sour Ale (Winter 09)

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 112   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.5/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
This American Sour Ale is brewed with 4 different malts and oak chips. The chips give it hints of vanilla, the malts a puckering sourness. This is the temptation of tart. Drink it down and let it steal your facebuds.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
zach8270 (4003) - Henrietta, New York, USA - JAN 24, 2010
(bottle - 12 oz) Murky copper pour with a very thin layer of white foam. Almost no lacing or carbonation. Aroma isn’t a sour ale. Aroma is dirty and muddy smelling. No Brett or sour funk at all. No sourness at all in the taste. Some cocoa, cherries, and something else that I just can’t identify. Quinine? Very bitter and lingering although the flavor goes away and just leaves a dry bitter taste. Awful.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Nuffield (3940) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 17, 2010
This is just bad. To confuse this with proper sour ales, if it meant that you gave up on the style, would be a serious mistake. This takes like a brown ale or something fairly standard that had a terrible infection and went bad, with a vinegar sourness and unappealing mash of malt notes. Sweet/sour, but mostly just "gone off" sour.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
HonkeyBra (3899) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - DEC 4, 2009
Watery amber pour with little head, lots of visible carbonation. Very grainy aroma. Flavor has the slightest hint of sourness. Very watery with husk notes. Watery palate. I dunno, seems to be one of the lamest sours you’ll ever try.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
thegreenrooster (3722) - St.louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 19, 2009
Pour is a brown with a average white head. Aroma is a bit earthy with some sourness. Flavor is a bit of chocolate with some cherry and a minor sour aftertaste. Nothing really sour and it seems the brewer was trying to gimick this up. Can you make an artifical sourness? If so that’s what i think happened and it did not work.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
WeeHeavySD (3362) - Portland, Oregon, USA - NOV 27, 2009
Thanks to Andrew BMan for alerting this to me via a trade offer, I found a 12 pack box today in Dallas at Central Market with 3 of these in there enough for me to have one and a new sour tick which is cool. Honestly this wasn’t great but it was far from shite. Pours brown with a tan ring. Nose is tart. Taste is sweet, slight funky interesting, not horrid and drinkable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Elwood (3336) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - DEC 24, 2009
Serving: 12 oz. bottle. Pours brown with a decent off-white head. Faint nose with slight sour notes. The taste just strikes me as odd. Light on the tongue with strange sour notes. Finishes relatively clean though. In terms of sours, this isn’t a good one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
johnnnniee (3289) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 27, 2011
11/27/2009 I picked up the 12 pack so I could try this one. Pours a slightly hazy reddish brown with a thinnish beige head that dissipates quickly. Smells of prunes, cherries, brown sugar, sweet malts. Really doesn’t smell like anything sour or wild. The taste is sweet with dark fruits, cherries and apricots come to mind. There is a tart character to the beer, but its more like tart fruits than anything wild. This almost reminds me of #9 but darker and more apricots. Tart citrus flavors start to come out as it warms. Medium body and carbonation. Yup another mediocre brew from Magic Hat. Drinkable, but really nothing special.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
alobar (3286) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 14, 2010
Brown color with a white head. Aroma of lemon, fruit, and vanilla. Flavor is largely sour with some sweet vanilla undertones. Different for sure. Not a true sour ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beerdedone (3112) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 6, 2010
Bottle. Pours a dark amber with a small off-white head. Aroma was slightly sweet/sour with caramel, light fruit and some stale spices. Flavor was sour and slightly acidic with light caramel, tart cherries/apples and was lightly carbonation with a sour and dry finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
NachlamSie (3107) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 28, 2009
bottle. Phil. I told you. Magic Hat and I are through. I don’t want any more of their products. Why did you give this to me? I warned you in a previous beermail that I do not want to consume any more Magic Hat beer. I was straightforward and clear about that. I gave you good beer. rare beer. Nonetheless, you placed Magic Hat Odd Notion "sour ale" in my possession. You guilted me into drinking it. Boy, the joke is on me. What the hell is this? It smells remarkably like Budweiser, just times two. I actually didn’t realize just how sour BMC smells and tastes until its character was amplified in this ramped up "sour ale." I mean, I like good sour ales. I drank some pretty good sour ale with you at Union Jack’s. The Bam Noire. Remember that? That was pretty good! It had some distinct bretty funk, some fruity complexity. . .this. . .this Odd Notion. . it sure is odd. One dimensional. . .sour corn dimension. God. I do not want to drink this. I am never paying money for Magic Hat again. Yes, this was free. I felt obligated to try it. Man. Dammit. Phil, please, next time I tell you not to give me Magic Hat, just do me a favor and spare me.