overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 209   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.91   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
Sťance is a dark, complexly concocted Saison, rich with earthy hues and flavors. A mild tartness begins the journey, and an underlying hop bitterness sweeps the senses through a newly opened door of the mind, where you will soon find subtle hints of ripe fruit, bringing you to a place few dare to roam.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
LilMissAle (9) - Texas, USA - AUG 15, 2013 does not count
This girl poured with moderate lacing, and a decent head but faded quickly, bottle pour into a Duvel glass....really strong notes of coffee, chocolate and dirt from the aroma. Beautiful pour, deep and warm reminds me of the warm fuzzy feeling you get pouring a whiskey lowball in cold weather...My first taste is both unexpected and awesome! I pick up dark plums and cherry, almost like a jones black cherry soda. This is something I can really sink my teeth into, rich and a little creamy. A far cry from a true siason, but something to try for sure!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
VatMasterson (52) - Texas, USA - AUG 25, 2013
The best thing here is this beers head, froth and foamy, lacing and head lasts throughout. Dark brown color. My mind thinks I am about to get a Porter then my Brain says this is hoppy and interesting. Well balanced. Not sweet nor bitter. Give the flowers whatever names you like but they are there. This is good with seafood.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TempeCoyote (63) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - OCT 31, 2013
Pours deep brown with full two fingers of tan head out of 12oz bottle. Toast and roasted malts on the aroma but an earthy flavor that reminds me of sleeping on wet ground. Plenty of funky yeasty notes after that, maybe even a hint of sauteed mushrooms. Grassy hops balance it out. Drinks much lighter than the color and aroma would imply. I like this one a lot. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beakerh20 (37) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 5, 2013
Dark almost porter like appearance. It has some mild creamy notes. It is a little malty with a very mild hoppy flavor. There are also some mild spices to finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Chad9976 (1226) - Albany, New York, USA - SEP 25, 2013
I poured a 12oz bottle into a goblet. It appears to have been bottled on 8/2/13. It came in a mix pack that cost $14.97 ($1.25 per bottle, or $0.10 per ounce).

Appearance: Dark brown hue, opaque. Forms a large, tan, frothy head which retains and laces extremely well.

Smell: Prominent smokiness with significant coffee notes. Has classic saison yeast esters as well.

Taste: I havenít been a big fan of Magic Hat in recent years. In fact, I canít even remember the last time I gave one of their beers a formal review. I picked up their fall seasonal mix pack while at the supermarket, just on a whim. I was definitely looking forward to seeing their take on a saison (though I didnít have high hopes for it). And while I think this beer is probably better classified as a brown ale, I have to admit that itís surprisingly good. This is definitely an unusual, but interesting take on the saison style.

Much like a brown ale, it begins with sweet malty notes. Hints of toffee, caramel and chocolate are noticeable right away, though I wouldnít consider it a particularly sweet brew. The beer is brewed with flaked oats and white wheat, giving it a fairly light body. "Cherry Wood Smoke" is also listed as one of the ingredients and it definitely shows. Itís a perfect amount of smoke character as it imparts bitterness and spiciness, but is still tame enough so as not to upstage the base palette. Thereís sweet iced coffee and milk chocolate flavors on the finish, with the classic saison spiciness in the aftertaste. Iím surprised by how much I enjoyed this.

Drinkability: When I saw that the beer was only 4.4% ABV, I assumed I was going to be in for a light-colored, light-bodied liquid refresher. Once I actually tasted it, I was (and still am) amazed that so much flavor was able to be produced from such a relatively light body. The mouthfeel isnít thin, itís quite standard with the right amount of carbonation and a rather smooth texture. While itís not refreshing, itís remarkably easy to drink, but strong enough to pair with a meal, and considering the light weight itís quite sessionable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Frozer (131) - Illinois, USA - OCT 5, 2013
Drank right from the bottle. The first smell of coffee was a shocker. Surprised they dub this a saison. Very earthy flavor with dark malts. Mouthfeel is dry with low to medium carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
zacgillbanks (2463) - Tyne & Wear, ENGLAND - AUG 13, 2013
Bottle from Publix Supermarket, Kissimmee, Florida. A very dark brown hazy beer with an initial slight sour red fruity flavour, chocolate notes followed by roasted coffee and a spicy finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
Patrickctenchi (3969) - Coxís Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - AUG 29, 2013
Purple-black with a huge, light tan head. Dark fruit....smoke aroma. Molasses, tobacco, herbal hop bitter flavor. Creamy and light... Coffee, roast. A very different breed of Saison..... Quite good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
pottygok (486) - Ohio, USA - SEP 1, 2013
Aroma: Bready malt aromas, with hints of earth yeast. Appearance: Dark brown with rich tan head. Taste: Light sweetness with hints of sourness at the edges. Palate: Medium body, slick texture, average carbonation, long malty finish. Overall: A bit too sweet for me, but itís still a drinkable beer. Iím not blown away, but Iím not disappointed, either.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
eManu (457) - Kuala Lumpur & Brussels, BELGIUM - NOV 1, 2013
From a 33cl bottle, pours a dark brown with a beige head. Aroma of roasted malts and dark fruits. Taste of roasted malts, caramel, hints of chocolate, herbs, licorice and spices. Light in bitterness and sweetness. nice rich balance of flavors, earthy feeling. Fry red fruit finish.