overall
Brewed by Mahrs Bräu
Style: Dunkel/Tmavý
Bamberg, Germany

RATINGS: 121   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
robertjm (737) - Albany, California, USA - FEB 17, 2008
Pours a very thick foamy tannish colored head. Beer itself is dark brown. Aroma not very prevalent. Perhaps that of slightly wet newspaper. Fairly high in carbonation with brown malts on in the flavor. Flavors open up slightly after bottle has been open and beer has a chance to warm up a little. Typical thin body of a germanic brew. It was on the close-out rack at Bevmo for $2/btl. Kind makes me wish I’d bought more.

BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - APR 8, 2005
Today is my 6 month ratebeer anniversary.!!........500ml Swingtop. Saw this appear on the shelf out of magic at the local shop. Same place I picked up 2 other obscuro brands brewed a few years ago. Rare finds indeed. This poured a dark dark amber brown with a coca coloured head. Taste well balanced of roasted malts, chocolates and some nuts. Overall coffee feel with a nice smooth intro into the alchohol, add a lite fizz. YUM!. The lable says it best with a picture of some barmaid sorting me out with several large mugs of this. Yea thats happened before :-P

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Jmichael (640) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - NOV 29, 2007
pours a dark caramel, light malty aroma, milky spritz palate, tingly finish, dry aftertaste

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - DEC 1, 2004
Another style that I believe is underappreciated on this site. This is not a "BIG" beer but a well made milder style. I could see myself drinking this well balance brew and eying well endowed German barmaids.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - APR 5, 2005
UPDATED: APR 7, 2005 500ml swing top bottle...I’m assuming this is from 2004 bottling. Explosive POP...but no gushing...Dark brown color with a rocky tan head. Aroma is mild...nutty and chocolatey maybe. Leaves some nice lace as I drink. Drinks with a nice velvet body and leans on a bit of sweetness at the end...chocolate and roastiness...a sort of dichotomy beer...it seems rich while it maintains its lightness. Malty for sure, and the darker malts show up just enough to add interest without taking over the beer. I’m trying to stop myself from just guzzling this down...I could really see myself sitting with these and drinking one after another all night...and I’m a guy that craves variety....big mugs of this would be awesome.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
McGarnigle (535) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 2, 2008
500 ml, undated but probably not as fresh as I’d like. I got a good pop when opening this one. Translucent very dark brown with beige head. Not a lot of aroma: smells lager-ish with some cocoa. Body is a bit too thin with assertive fine bubbles. Taste is balanced between malt and hops. It’s not really as roasty as I would have thought. Slightly bitter with a dry finish. Very drinkable, but for the imported price.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kreepindeth (404) - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - APR 11, 2006
A very enjoyable beer, not much nose, but smells faintly of malted barley. Body is a bit thin, like a watery bock. Taste is similar to a bock but not quite as rich.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
joohefner (380) - Isla Vista, California, USA - JUN 24, 2008
Dark chocolate color with a thin, creamy tan head. Molasses, rosted malts, and smoked wood aromas. Medium sticky body. Smokey and sweet flavor. Tastes mostly of roasted malts: caramel, toffee, molasses, with a little chocolate coming through. It has a bittersweet, dusty earth finish. Nice example.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - JAN 14, 2007
Pours a very dark brown, that borders on black, with red highlights. The one inch head is a light mocha color that fades slowly to a thin swirling cap, leaving behind a nice webbing of lace. This has to be the darkest marzen that I’ve ever seen. Smell; very pleasant roasted malts, with toffee, and a lot of dark fruits. There’s also a touch of chocolate in the nose, with a bit of bread dough. Taste; the dark fruits, most noticaby plums, come out on the initial sips, followed by the toffee and chocolate. The finish is all roasted malts, that gives this a bit of a dry finish to go along with a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is on the thin side, but this only aids in the drinkability, as it would be easy to knock back a few of these. This is probably the most "out of the norm" marzen/octoberfest that I’ve had so far. That being said, I enjoyed this, and would definitely have it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DeadGuyFrank (347) - http://westchesterbeer.com, USA - SEP 30, 2007
Definite sweet malt aroma and pours porter-like black. Dry, but not easy drinking as other Oktoberfests...I can see why some Oktoberfest fans would not rank this very high....Overall, solid beer.