Main Street Beer Dergys Amber Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Main Street Beer Co.
Style: Amber Ale
Richmond, Virginia USA

RATINGS: 18   MEAN: 2.99/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Crystal malt, wheat and three kinds of hop create a copper colored beer of medium body. Brewed in the Classic English Style, golden copper hue is accented by the creamy white head; dry up front with a hoppy finish.

SNIAT's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
SNIAT (120) - Passaic, New Jersey, USA - APR 27, 2003
A sweet surprise in the beer barren SE. Rich and malty and at a decent price to.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Palidor19 (2998) - Brandon, Florida, USA - AUG 29, 2008
(Drank on 3/01/04) I thought this quite a decent beer, its roasted flavor and has the standard bitter for a good amber.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
osmg95 (44) - Florida, USA - APR 24, 2005
I liked the way it smelled initially. I was completely surprised by the burnt malt flavor. The more I drank it, the more I thought about something definately wrong here. It doesnít look all that bad in the glass but I was more interested in drinking it. It tastes like it was fermented in an old attic! Okay, now my taste buds are going numb and it feels like someone put out a camp fire in my mouth. I still like the aroma and itís doing itís job....getting me a bit buzzed so i donít realize itís not the best beer around but at 5 bucks a 6pack....itís working.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
can8ianben (1343) - Souderton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 23, 2005
Not a bad brew, what happened to this company? It is definitely better than the honey blonde offering. Purchased in FL at some liquor store. Nice dark colour, decent hoppy brown flavour.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
KarmanGhia (276) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - MAR 1, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 16, 2005 This annoying brew pours a deep amber with a diminishing white head. The nose is of platic or metal, but with slightly burnt malts. The primary tastes are of a very light and slightly roasted maltiness that finished with a dirt-road-sort-of-slight-bitter finish. Hmm. Thereís just something in there thatís bad - it reminds me of their porter which is a definite cutdown. Wait, it isnít that bad. If thereís any fruit it is sour apple. Is it retired? I wonder how old my damn bottles are that I bought today... Look, donít buy these beers. They taste like dirt.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
firemedic713 (169) - Palm Bay, Florida, USA - JUN 4, 2004
Slight hazy dark amber, with thin off white head. Some malt. A little of that good hoppy bitter aftertaste. A drinkable beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ElGaucho (2240) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - APR 2, 2004
I found this brew in a liquor store in Vero Beach, FL. The label says it's from North Carolina. Knowing I have never rated a beer from NC, I was excited about it until I see now that it is listed as a Virginia brew. Molasses-like aroma; similar to Lake Superior's barleywine. I have had older beers that smell like this; perhaps some of the horse blanket aroma is due to age? Smoky, malty and caramelly flavor. Has some hints of molasses. Murky, dark reddish brown in color. Lots of visible carbonation. Smallish, off-white head. Decent as it warms. Unique flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - MAR 10, 2004
Bottle (3/2003). Foamy, spewing mess on opening 44F bottle. Once settled down, poured a massive, out of control, fair suede head...huge, brainy, rocky. Sweet hoppy aromas of apple, canteloupe, acetaldehyde. Color a sickly greenish/amber/yellow like (sorry) dark morning urine. Taste is tart, grape skins, paper, pickled cauliflower...ick. Perhaps the beer is infected, I only bought a single to try. Horrible. A drain pour.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - MAR 1, 2004
A surprising find for this brewer. I have not been impressed with them but this for it's style is a good value

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Suttree (5266) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 23, 2003
Bright. clear bronze/copper color, no head. Bready, malty aroma. Fairly full bodied. Mild, nutty malt flavor, then a resiny, peppery hop finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Braudog (5903) - Traveling the USA, Missouri, USA - AUG 8, 2003
Copper and medium-bodied. Hoppy but lightly smoked malt. Slightly below average American amber.