Main Street Beer Work Beer

(RETIRED)
Main Street Beer Work Beer
     click to upload

Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 5   MEAN: 2.42/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.52   EST. CALORIES: 142   ABV: 4.75%
This flavorful beer is very drinkable without being filling.

knifeyou99's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
knifeyou99 (4) - USA - SEP 19, 2001
This review is from memory, but here goes. I remember this ale being extremely dry, with a paper taste. Like dried wood. It’s been over a year since I’ve had it and the only other thing of significance I can remember is the fact that it had very unique bottle caps. Try it the next time you’re going through Richmond, it’s pretty decent.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
JFGrind (1811) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2003
Most unique labelling of beer bottle I've seen this year. Slogan on the bottle cap exclaims "You earned it!". Slick packaging makes me nervous about the contents, so I sipped cautiously. With it's dark amber appearance and thin head I wasn't sure what style to expect. Aroma quickly gave it away as a pale ale. Reminds me of a Geary's English Pale Ale. Same bitterness, just no lobster on the label.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Braudog (5496) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - AUG 7, 2003
Dark yellow with collection of collection of bubbles on top. Bitter but not in a good way. Sharp. Malted cereal in the bulk of the gulp. This tastes like a standard American lager to me, but labled as a English Pale Ale here. Not.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Norton (328) - Southside, Richmond, Virginia, USA - SEP 20, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2003 RERATE: Yep, it sucks from the bottle, too. Extremely uneven. Off tap, I've found to be absolutely undrinkable to adequately satisfying. Do they not know what they're doing over on Main Street? On average, a little too filling/carbonated. Almost no head. Not thin by any means and almost slightly orangish hue. Usually gives me a wicked hangover. I've never tried it out of a bottle, only off-tap. Will re-rate after a few bottle tastings, if somebody ever offers me a bottle, because I won't buy it off the shelf. If I want a 'working' man's beer, I will stick with the High Life. And by the way, I never see anybody at Main St. Beer Co. except flaming yuppies whose idea of hard 'work' is a 75-minute conference call with the marketing dept.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Aubrey (3417) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 9, 2000
Crystal clear dark-golden color. Shines and sparkles in the light. Tastes ’bready’ and dry. A little sticky and sweet, but also kind of ’nutty,’ with a whole-grain kind of taste to it. Aroma is a little musty, although it’s not too disturbing. Not extremely impressive, but after a hard day of work, any beer tastes good I suppose.