overall

RATINGS: 417   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dirkbreedveld (288) - NETHERLANDS - MAR 10, 2004
this beer would do nicely between champagnes. It's fresh, winestyle with a touch of raisins, but it remains a beer aswell, due to the well blended malts. The clear goldenyellow color is attractive. Instead of champagne in a giftbow this will make a statement too.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - MAR 9, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 25, 2004 I have purchased 15 bottles of this incredible Belgian ale over the past few years.I’ll only drink it on special occasions like the birth of my twins, Christmas, New Year, Anniversary,etc. It deserves the same respect one would give a bottle of Dom Perignon or a lovely aged Barolo. It’s that good! Re-rated 12/24/04. After having my third bad bottle in the past year(2 bottles totally flat, one infected) I’m going to have to lower my rating from a 4.4. When you get a good fresh bottle, this beer is incredible, but I don’t think I’ll try again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
theakston (64) - arlington, Virginia, USA - JAN 23, 2004
cloudy yellow with loads of carbonation, that works well for this style as the bubbles are small as you would expect from champagne. I think they used champagne yeast but abandoned the method champagnoise and left it as bottle conditioned. nice bready champagne yeast aroma. hides the alcohol under layers of flavours that are almost too many to identify. Sugars, liquorice and fruit - oranges and pears - no real hop aroma but the palate is very dry.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
adwoan99 (244) - Ft. Worth, Texas, USA - DEC 12, 2003
Pours light, and unfiltered. Smells musty & bready, very barnyard-like. Not as much flavor as I would like - somewhat thin for me, and citrusy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
CapFlu (4762) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 11, 2003
(1 pint 9 oz bottle) At the Kimchee Palace high above the 401. Huge white head with a clear, orange body. Acidic, apples and spice flavour. Smooth yet tart. Thanks Jess!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
omnivore (270) - San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 24, 2003
It was pretty, and smelled nice, but... I just couldn't palate it. It was far too bitter for me, and not in a pleasant way. I have another bottle. I'll have to try again someday.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - OCT 12, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2005 ReRate: 3/13/05
One of the most crisp and apple core dry beers I have ever sampled. Notes of dry honey, and horse saddle take mention. A tremendous brew!

Vintage: 2000 Malheur is another one of those brews that is hard to classify as a beer, I’m talking this was like a Champaign, but with a much richer creamer palate. Poured a glowing creamy orange / golden body with a big velvety white head.
The aroma is spicy, Large notes of fine Dominican tobacco. The flavor is slightly buttery, yeasty, with HUGE suggestions of Cedar wood. Flavorful spices, some notes of apples and pares, a rich silky palate and a bone-dry finish, VERY Fine brew.
I’m thankful that I have friends that are kind enough to share there beer with me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
skortila (4816) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - SEP 19, 2003
Aroma is 'spicy'. Cloudy, yellow coloured beer with much foam and debris. Full, strong taste, though smooth. Bit sour and spicy. Smooth palate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
caesar (5764) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - SEP 18, 2003
I just gotta say: i love those belgians! Clear golden color, with a lot of small particles floating around. Aroma is triple-like spicy, cheesy. Sweet and spicy taste, champagne yeasty and apple notes. Only slightly alcoholic palate, but hardly noticeable, and who cares after finally being back to the real beers!

jbrus (4991) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - SEP 18, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 1, 2004 Faint cheesy, fruity and peach aroma. Golden color, some debris floating around, large bubbled white head, very good lace. Sweet, spicy, champagne, apple, peach, little yeasty and soft. After tasting several German mediocre beers this was really "welcome back to Belgium" as ceasar said! --- rerate 06/01/04: Had a cellared bottle but I'm afraid it doesn't age well or the bottle was wrongly cellared. Aroma was of geuze while all the flavors and complexity was gone and just some citrus and cider-like flavors where left.