overall

RATINGS: 287   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Brewed for the Pizza Beer Company

Unfiltered American Ale Brewed With Basil, Oregano, Tomato and Garlic. Truly the Worldís First Culinary Beer Designed to Taste Great on Itís Own and Even Better With Food (Especially Pizza) The Beer is Truly Unique In That It Also Makes a Tremendous Ingredient in All Types of Foods. Chef Tom & Mamma Mia Have Developed Several Cooking Videos on Display at www.pizzabeer.net

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
hotstuff (4092) - Indiana, USA - JUL 4, 2008
Bottle at Toscanni, Fort Wayne, IN. Small off-white head that mostly diminished, virtually no lacing, transparent, carbonation noted, and a yellow golden hue. The aroma was old, musty, spicy, basil, some tomato notes, and garlic, garlic and more garlic. Ditto for the flavor and the garlic overpowers the taste IMO. Tingly mouthfeel and light-medium bodied. I had this beer with a delicious pizza and I do not buy into the advertisement that it tastes better with food especially pizza. NOT!! A novelty beer for sure and definitely one that I will not drink again. The waitress said that they have received a lot of mixed reactions about this beer and when she asked if I liked it I said "not at all as it’s pretty much garlic dominated and I like garlic but this is overkill" and two tables over a guy was drinking this beer and overheard my answer to the waitress and he had a look on his face like he couldn’t believe what I said about this beer. Oh well, she asked and I gave my honest opinion. Now it’s time for a "real" beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hopdog (8940) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 2, 2008
16oz bottle acquired in trade with lb4lb (thanks!). Poured a deeper and cloudy golden color with a smaller sized head. Aromas of pizza crust, oregano, tomatoes, and garlic. Tastes of garlic, oregano, other spices, and a lighter tomato breadiness. Interestingly different! Mamma Mia!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 30, 2008
Bottle. Oregano, green pepper, tomato and bready malt in the nose. Very similar flavor - tomato & oregano over biscuit malt with hop bitterness and a touch of garlic in the finish. A well-done novelty beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
NachlamSie (2765) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 29, 2008
Bottle. I had a few sips of this one straight from the bottle before I poured it. Let me tell you my expectations were quite low for this one. I was surprised to find a pretty tasty brew when I put this to my lips. It definitely tastes like pizza due to the spices utilized. I donít know if Iíd ever make the connection without reading the label, but the garlic, basil, and even a faint meaty flavor are apparent. The malts are sweet and easily accessible. I poured this one into a glass and was surprised to see a golden colored beer. It definitely "tastes amber" if that makes any sense. The aroma is not as a great as the flavor. Raw, leafy tomato is in the nose which is weird for a beverage. Taking a few sips after this, I decide I still like it fairly well. I donít know if Iíll make any effort to get it again. . . maybe.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
heemer77 (5100) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JUN 25, 2008
Hazy gold orange body with a large lightly off white head. The aroma has some light tomatoes and herbs. There is a definite garlic presence. The taste is light oregeno and basil. You get more of the tomato in the aftertaste. There is also some strong biscuit maltiness. A different brew that is interesting, but certainly not something to go with every mood. Kind of reminded of the pepperoni pizza flavored Combos snacks.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
iowaherkeye (2691) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - JUN 22, 2008
16oz bottle, no date. Clear yellow orange with small light yellow white head, fading to a ring. Pizza crust and oregano are dominant. Hints of salt are also present. Flavor adds some caramel malts that make it seem like beer. Not picking up on any tomato, garlic, or basil, though there is a bit of pepper. Semi-dry finish with low bitterness. A little metallic as well. Light body with light to moderate carbonation. Smelled like pizza, though didnít really taste like it. I think I liked Americaís version better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
vyvvy (3992) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - JUN 21, 2008
Had to get this strictly for the novelty and it ended up being better than I thought it would be. Pours lightly hazy copper with an off-white head. The aroma is musty with butter, italian spices, doughy and fairly rich - unique to say the least. Medium crisp body with fairly sharp carbonation as an undercurrent. The flavor starts malt with light tomatoes, peppery spice along with the italian spices. The doughiness is still throughout the beer. The finish adds more spice. I wouldnít want much of this, but it was well worth trying.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - JUN 20, 2008
In the bottle thanks to Rich S. of Beerme.com. Pours a hazy gold with not much of a head at all. Unreal aroma of a pizza or a plate of spaghetti sauce. Clearly, this smells exactly as billed, but is salty and hard to drink. As a marinade, this might be hard to beat. It is loaded with garlic and oregano. Lots of tomato flavors overwhelm you. I just couldnít take too much of it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
docswife (27) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - JUN 17, 2008
I picked up a bottle of this in Evansville In just for kicks. Ordered a big pizza and tried this with the husband. I didnít expect it to be so darn good!! Pours yellow and crisp with small white head. The aroma is all pizza, yeast, oregano, basil, garlic and tomato. Very light body and crisp. I will be picking up more of this!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
mkobes (2140) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JUN 15, 2008
Bottle. Hazy yellow in color with no head. Spicy oregano aroma. Spicy basil oregano flavor. Tasted like pizza. Ok.