Mamma Mia! Pizza Beer

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 295   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.51/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Note: Per the owner, this beer is no longer being brewed while they search for a new contract brewer.

Brewed for the Pizza Beer Company

Unfiltered American Ale Brewed With Basil, Oregano, Tomato and Garlic. Truly the World’s First Culinary Beer Designed to Taste Great on It’s Own and Even Better With Food (Especially Pizza) The Beer is Truly Unique In That It Also Makes a Tremendous Ingredient in All Types of Foods. Chef Tom & Mamma Mia Have Developed Several Cooking Videos on Display at www.pizzabeer.net

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rogueone (506) - I F&ckin’ hate those guys from, Ohio, USA - APR 28, 2008
Imagine you’ve quickly eaten a flat crust tomato and basil pizza seasoned lightly with italian seasoning. You drink a fairly average golden ale and before you’ve swallowed, you burp and let it out of your nose. That is what this beer tastes like.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - APR 27, 2008
Well its exactly what it says it is, smelled and tasted of all those herbs and spices listed,like a piece of pizza mixed into a Miller produact. Not by glass of tea

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Narnad (1518) - Wonder Lake, Illinois, USA - APR 24, 2008
Found a bottle of this at a local store. Pours from the bottle very hazy golden orange with small head. Very strong of garlic, oregano, tomatoe and basil. Very very strong taste of garlic and basil with a med amount of oregano and a much smaller tomato flavor. Very unique idea for a beer and is as advertised as but I really can’t get over the beer/pizza liquid mix in my mouth. Definitely not my cup of tea.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
naivepegasus (361) - USA - APR 15, 2008
Pours an odd murky brown orange yellow with a small amount of soapy white head. Smells like...uh..garlic and... Parmesan. Huh... very watery, there’s a hint of beer, but also of... basil and tomato. Why can I taste the crust? It sort of tastes like the crust of a pizza with just a little bit of sauce on it. Ends with an odd aftertaste... well, not nearly as bad as I anticipated.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
twindadplus2 (657) - Wisconsin, USA - APR 12, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 22, 2011 Muddy brown color with a small head that disappeared quickly. The pizza is strongest in the aroma to me, with the basil and tomato really coming through. Thankfully, the flavors are much more muted. The garlic, basil and oregano come through but Sprecher is strong enough to be heard over all this. An interesting beer but I think it would be better with pizza than by itself. Interesting note, my pet rats licked their bowl clean of this one (twice!) so they seem to like it but it’s just not my cup of tea.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
17thfloor (2443) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 9, 2008
okay....here we go... Pours ugly murky cloudy brownish yellow with a large foamy white head. It does smell like garlic bread a bit...ha! O man... ha... ok ...what? Buttery, but thin watery body, sparse carbonation, soda like drinkability. Oregano and basil create a dullness in the mouth, garlic aftertaste. Yup, thats pizza. Really interesting exercise but completely useless really. [I guess you have to eat something with it.... the spices fade out that way and compliment the food and then the beer flavor is left over]

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - APR 8, 2008
Pours to a hazy oak colored wood body with a tall foamy white head that mostly dissipates to a thin film. The aroma while very cold is oregano and tomato filled pretzel bites. As it warms, the aromas become more pronounced. It actually smells decent. The flavor, on the other hand, is a mess of buttery malt and light herbs. The palate is medium-light bodied with a buttery texture going on. I’m not a fan. I made bread with it instead and drain poured the remainder.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 5, 2008
So, I must confess I didn’t have any pizza with this beer, but I must say that by itself I found it to be pretty awful. It smells a bit like cooked corn, and tastes like cooked corn and raw pizza dough, and I couldn’t tell you the last time I had a craving for a beer that tasted like that. It poured into my glass to reveal a straw-colored body which was cloudy and unappealing. There was no head. Aroma was a bit composte-like (mercaptan) and cooked corn (DMS). Flavor was where I got the pizza resemblence. The flavor was a raw dough flavor, which was reminiscent to me of the last time I played with Play-Do. There was some oregano flavor as well. Not good. Not drinkable. I would not recommend this beer, regardless of what you’re eating. I split this bottle with SurlySober, who bought it as something of a lark.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ofortuna (322) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - APR 5, 2008
When Chilled one can barely pick out anything that is described. If someone didn’t tell you this is a Pizza beer, you probably wouldn’t notice. As it warms up closer to room temperature, some of the described aroma and character starts to come out. However, it’s very subtle and does not dominate the beer at all. Plus, the pitiful head retention and odd hue really make this one of the uglier beers I’ve seen in quite awhile.

Unfortunately, the base beer is quite average and I wished they would’ve put more thought into the actual beer itself than merely trying to make a "gimmick beer". For this reason, I’m rating the beer on the low side and even for a gimmick beer, not worth the try.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
badgerben (4809) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - MAR 30, 2008
Thanks to Skyview for sharing this one. Gold color with no head. Nice aroma of oregano and a bit of basil. Tastes exactly as advertised: oregano, parsley, garlic and tomato. Interesting to say the least.