overall

RATINGS: 285   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Brewed for the Pizza Beer Company

Unfiltered American Ale Brewed With Basil, Oregano, Tomato and Garlic. Truly the Worldís First Culinary Beer Designed to Taste Great on Itís Own and Even Better With Food (Especially Pizza) The Beer is Truly Unique In That It Also Makes a Tremendous Ingredient in All Types of Foods. Chef Tom & Mamma Mia Have Developed Several Cooking Videos on Display at www.pizzabeer.net

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Sk8tybrd (7) - USA - MAR 29, 2008 does not count
Intriguing, but Iím not sure I want pizza IN my beer. Obvious aromas of oregano, basil and parsley. I wasnít sure if my mind was playing tricks on me, but I did in fact smell tomato. The flavors were the same mixed in a pale ale. Bizzar.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
BDR (2534) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 29, 2008
thanks to skyview for sharing. Hazy yellow with a few bubbles for head. Oregano and parsley aroma with some grain malt. Similar taste but some additional malt gives it an almost complete pizza flavor including tomatoes

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
pkbites (673) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 28, 2008
Iím giving this a 5 for aroma because you can smell the oregano, basil, tomato, and garlic. I hate the way it smells, but the aroma is what it claims to be on the label. Pours a clouded orange color. Tastes like pizza water. Tastes like pizza water. Did I mention it tastes like pizza water? Well....it does! This is a novelty beer. Worth a one bottle try (I paid $1.69 for one single bottle at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) but no more than that.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Skyview (5150) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - MAR 26, 2008
Sampled at Bob McFarlandís Liquors in McFarland, Wisconsin. Pours a semi-hazy golden brew with a thin white head that slowly dissipates to a fine film and white ring. Aroma of white bread malt, some grassy hops, and some light vegetable character with oregano, tomato, and basil. Taste is light to medium-bodied, light carbonation with flavors of light bread malt beer with a touch of pizza flavored snack food. Finish has a mild malt and vegetable flavor with a pizza flavor that is not too spicy. Compared to the former Americas Tom Seefurths version, the Sprecher recipe is much lighter in flavor and spiciness.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
DrnkMcDermott (2776) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - MAR 22, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 30, 2013 12 oz bottle from <a href=http://www.Ratebeer.com/Place/illinois/homewo Liquors in Homewood. Not as strange as I thought itíd be. Pours a hazy color, slightly reddish where the glass is thicker. A good stiff froth of foam. Smells, yeah, like a cheap pizza made with canned tomato sauce. Otherwise, taste isnít that bad. The ale base can take a lot of strange addition, with oregano and basil not being out of place in some Belgians Iíve had. Canít tell what part tomatoes are supposed to play, except for a slight tartness. Garlic is not that prominent, thank goodness. Maybe they used the green parts more than the bulb? Dregs on the bottom are yeast or something I donít want to know about. Actually does go well with a pizza.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
JJClark (551) - Roscoe, Illinois, USA - MAR 21, 2008
Bottle. Pours hazy golden color with a white head. The aroma of basil, oregano, and garlic. Taste pretty much the same. Like a cheap frozen pizza in a can. As someone mentioned, this definately a novelty beer and not something you would want to sit down and have a few of unless you were eating pizza.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Cornfield (5437) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - MAR 18, 2008
I was fortunate enough to have the original commercial version of this beer soon after it was tapped at <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Brewpub.That was an interesting, enjoyable beer, and I had several wine glasses (Yup. Thatís how they were serving it.) of it before it ran out. That brew, a joint bit of craftsmanship between then homebrewer Tom Seefurth and brewmaster Mike Rybinski, had as its base a solid Saison style. The seasonings (and the vegan pizzas tossed into the mash) brought it to a level of the strange Saisons of FantŰme and other creative brewers of the style. That one I rated rather fairly well, although I íve noted that those who had samplings from days old growlers cared for it less. In my opinion, that ale had character and stood on its own.

This is a novelty beer.

Trying to give it a fair shake, I gave it a vigorous pour into a goblet. No head, and the bottle is pretty fresh. (íTíainít that old of a brew!) The body had a murky, lifeless straw coloring with no beading or bubbling whatsoever. The aroma? Not bad. If you enjoy pizza (I do.), you should like the garlic and oregano, tomato (Perhaps you pronounce it "tomato.") and basil. Unfortunately, when the beer hits the mouth, you have a watery concoction to deal with. Kind of like someone sunk your pizza in a bucket of water. Although some of the "classic" flavors of pizza remained, theyíre diluted and uninteresting. The watery finish contains a touch of tomato, black pepper, and garlic. (I prefer pepperoni, mushrooms, Italian sausage, and, at times, anchovies added to my crispy thin-crusted pizzas... the For Real original Chicago style, for those old enough to remember.) Pretty disappointing.

I wonít be repeating this any time soon... after which, I suspect (although Iíve been wrong once or twice in my 50+ years) it wonít be around when Iím in a humor to try it again.

It is, after all, a Novelty Beer.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Beverage Depot, Orland Park, IL<font size=-1>

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - MAR 17, 2008
03599FL

Bottle from Samís Wine and Spirits Lincoln Park, Chicago. Cloudy light amber with large white head, the cloudiness of the beer almost turns the beer a little paler. Aroma is yeasty and slight dry malt with only the slightest amount of oregano, definently not the big pizza aroma that people have been talking about before this, I almost wish my beer smelled as crappy as that just so I would know what they were talking about. Sweet malt with light citrus fruit and yeast and some light spice, once again Iím not getting the pizza beer flavor that I was expecting, neither is the GF. The closest thing to it is a garlic like sharpness on the tongue, but I donít taste the garlic, it is kinda like ginger if nothing else. Medium body that is well carbonated. I donít know if I should be rating this as it seems that the wrong beer was accidentally bottled in my bottle. If anything this was some kind of wheat beer with some unexpected hotness that could be garlic.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Ughsmash (7086) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 14, 2008
Bottled. Poured hazy medium golden with a rather well-retained cap of white head. The aroma picked up basil, oregano, and doughy pizza crust (basically what they were shooting for), and I really wasnít sure I wanted to drink it. The flavor was about as expected, with bready sweetness surrounded by basil, oregano, and garlic salt.. a little tomato sauce too. Lighter-bodied with lots of herbs and spices.. nasty cold pizza finish. I donít need any more of this.

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
joet (2121) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - MAR 9, 2008
Man, I feel awful about panning this beer. But man it started with looking at the murky reddish liquid and the first whiff from the bottle of garlic. No head and not much CO2. I was a bit scared. Maybe I just spooked myself but I had to work myself just to get a second and third taste. Before the fourth taste, the "garlic salt" garlicky aroma was just too much and I had to stop. Not as bad as Chelada but I had to drain pour most of the bottle. Nothing chunky swimming around in the liquid is also something positive about this beer.