overall
Style: Abbey Dubbel
Breendonk-Puurs, Belgium

RATINGS: 1576   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottle conditioned.
Ingredients: Water, barley malt, hops, sugar, yeast.
A brown or brune ale brewed under the supervision of the monastic community of Maredsous. Top fermented beer, brewed according to Benedictine tradition. Refermented in the bottle;, and conditioned for two months. Maredsous Brown should ideally be served at a temperature of 6-10 C

gtwd12 (1) - USA - JAN 7, 2008 does not count
World’s Top Beers 3) Duvel 2) Maredsous 8 1) Olde English 800 This beer is so underrated!!! Tried some more "highly rated" on this site, comments below Exhibit A: Rochefort - coca cola syrup, way too sweet and rich. Soft mouthfeel?? One for the ladies. Exhibit B: Westmalle - nothing special, still too sweet Exhibit C: Orval - horse ass, but kinda refreshing after senses have dulled Exhibit D: Chimay - Dr. Pepper Exhibit E: Imperial stouts - more expensive than Starbucks

tegucigalpa (1) - - NOV 29, 2011 does not count
Came to the first belgium beerhouse in Zagreb. Asked for Leffe brune. They didn’t have it because, it was probably too mainstream. Tried a couple of abbey beers. Discovered Maredsous. I’ll never drink any other beer again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 9, 2001
Wow. Excellent color and head, great fruity and slightly toasted aroma. Caramel, bread, and fruits is what this tasted of. I’m craving another one.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - MAY 30, 2008
Kind of smells like molasses and...possibly cinnamon?...no...probably not - probably figs...pours with a beautiful, large, oozing of quality head (Schaum). Smacks of quality and complexity.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
eManu (434) - Kuala Lumpur & Brussels, BELGIUM - JAN 31, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2009 Had it many time by the bottle. Had it by draft in the Sylvia Chantilly. Dark red brown with light tan lasting foam. For me this beer has everything I like, a powerful taste, some fruits and caramel feel, and a good ballance of sweet and bitter and sour, but not too much. this is one of my favorite beer. I love it. I had it many time again and everytime its just wonderfull. I love this beer.

jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 1, 2001
4/3/01 - A memorable beer. [I had this again. I loved it the first couple times I had it back in March/April or so. I had it last night and its not as memorable as I recall. Kinda just a good decent beer. It wasn’t as good as I remembered it. Maybe I’d give it a 3.5 or so. I’ll try it again before I re-rate it though.]

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
yael6666 (1) - USA - NOV 1, 2009 does not count
Havent tried a strong belgian beer this good for a long time.... It pours a dark ambery beer with a long lasting and big brownish head.. I can smell the alcohol and some red fruits i think matching perfectly with a touch of caramel. I had this brew both.. at cellar temperature and at 6 degrees... cellar temperature lets the aromas and flavours to be more noticable. I can taste phenols, nutty roasted malts, matching a good amount of alcohol and caramel with a sweet long aftertaste Cheers

davidm (1926) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - FEB 12, 2010
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2012 Bottle 330ml at Cookie. Great beer, well balanced. Aromas of burnt caramel, bread, nuts, and alcohol. Taste is sweet, with light bitter and sour notes, and long lasting. Palate is creamy, and full-bodied. Brown colour, with a frothy white head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
psark (54) - Binghamton, New York, USA - AUG 11, 2010
Well balanced dubbel with enough bitterness to add drink-ability to the very appealing medium malt backbone. One of my favorite dubbels.

BOSSbrewer (1311) - Arkansas, USA - AUG 30, 2013
Pours a dark brown with a small off white head. Raisins and dark fruits. Brown sugar. Some banana also. Overall a fantastic beer.