overall
Brewed by Matilda Bay Brewing Co. (CUB)
Style: Pilsener
Port Melbourne, VIC, Australia

RATINGS: 24   MEAN: 2.93/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.89   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Brewed from soft water, pale malts and bittered with fine Saaz hops, this is an excellent example of a traditional Czech Pilsener style. Lagered for 8 weeks at near freezing temperatures the result is crisp and clean with a delicate hop bouquet.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
maupie (927) - Roosendaal, NETHERLANDS - OCT 1, 2003
This beer has a light yellow body - hue with a bitter initial flavor and a light body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bluevegie (3059) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 23, 2003
Nice golden colour and I quite like the aroma of hops, good bit of bitterness and slight malt combined.Cheers!

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
dubs (117) - St Peters, NSW, AUSTRALIA - JAN 6, 2003
What the crap? Dunno why my homies ecz, motelpogo and duff give this one such cred. Very shit ’pils’ which begins with cat piss and finishes with spearmint mandarins. This is the boring crap for sure. Maybe duff is right bout the CUB effect... Whatever the hell, I dont wanna drink this again thats for sure. Lets add saaz, take a wiz in the fermenter, chuck in the compost, freeze it and call it pilsener eh? (This beer obviously forgot about being good...)

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - OCT 3, 2002
I was encouraged by my friends to revisit this since I rated it so lowly the first time around. I know I am not a pils-larger fan but I still can’t see why it rates so highly. It tastes just marginally better than a basic macro to me. Maybe too many Strong Belgians have stunned my taste buds. My comments from my first rating still stand - it’s just too soft for me.
First rated: 7 Sept /2002: 1.8 Medium pale gold clear with a small white shortish lasting head. Faint sappy/woody hops and faint stale nectar aroma. Some vinous sheery hints when warmer. Very mild bitter and light fizzy sweet softdrink style palate. Bland an too watery for my taste. I like my Pils with at least a bit of OOMPH - eg the Squire pils which IMHO nails this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 21, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 23, 2005 Sad to see this go, but a nice little pils for sure. Soft and and saazy, nothing fancy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Linc (737) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - AUG 25, 2002
Typical pils in appearance, though a little on the light side. Light, in fact, is the defining word for everything else. Nice enough, but they,ve been too shy with the hops and malt.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - AUG 7, 2002
Hoppy but sour aroma, light yellow with thin head Very bitter taste with no malt component. Unlike most raters I really hated this, a disappointment from the people who make the very good Dogbolter

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
LoveABeer (141) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - AUG 6, 2002
Truly a great Aussie Pilsener, enjoyed the crisp and clean finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
eczematic (1320) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - JUL 1, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2003 Great stuff, I was wrong the last time by calling it German: it definitely tastes Czech - a lot like Samson if you ever have that. Soft, malty and floral and very yummy. Very good head too. rer8: bit too sweet, but authentically czech tasting soft mellow maltiness and very late bitterness - bit of DMS pops up when it gets a bit too warm. still, my favourite stralian lager by a long way

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
grant60 (185) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - APR 27, 2002
shows that the best Ausralian beer is from Western Australia, just like everything else. a fine beer, with a nice crisp taste and aroma.