overall
Brewed by Matilda Bay Brewing Co. (CUB)
Style: German Hefeweizen
Port Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 148   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.87   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Dervock (523) - Emu plains, AUSTRALIA - SEP 8, 2009
Bottle - Hadn’t had a Redback in years and what I got was not how I remembered it! pours a very light straw colour witha small tight white head. Yeasty floral aroma, slightly citric. Initial flavour is wheat up front , then a hint of banana, before the dry floral yeast and hop finish. As I mentioned not how I remembered it, this was better!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
NoiZe (2323) - Amersfoort, NETHERLANDS - JUN 21, 2009
Had this one during my holiday in Australia april/may 2009. Golden colored brew. Floral aroma. Lemon, citric, wheat, refreshing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mickmac (484) - Ngunnawal, AUSTRALIA - JUN 12, 2009
Bottle. Pours with a small frothy white head and a clear straw coloured body. Aroma is driven by the yeast-being abalance between the usual wheat beer characteristics of banana and clove. A nice fizzy mouthfeel and a refreshingly acidic finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
frankcolub (75) - Ashbury, AUSTRALIA - APR 26, 2009
Bottled. Pale golden colour, not much head. Aroma is of wheat and bitter hops . Flavour is malts, wheat and hops .. Aftertaste is wheaty and fruity. Not the typical German Hefeweizen....but not bad.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
scotty (1072) - SCOTLAND - MAR 6, 2009
Oddbins sold this when I worked for them a while back, it was one of the many products that acquired cult status among the staff. At that time I was a fussy Camra member and I liked to think I was quite particular about the beers I drank (I even liked some lagers, but they had to be GOOD lagers) I thought this was great stuff, although it has to be said that I didn’t have much experience of wheat beers then, but that shouldn’t be the point! I’ve given it average scores as it was before my ratebeer days but I’ve given it 15 as i thought it was so bloody good! Just wish I could find it again in, or around, Edinburgh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
BroSpud (1791) - , Massachusetts, USA - FEB 22, 2009
Draft. (Previous tasting from memory) Had a chance to sample all the Redback offerings several years ago on a visit to Australia. I don’t remember specifics but do remember enjoying every one of them.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
TheGrandMaster (2334) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 23, 2008
Bottle. Wheat and yeast on the nose, only hints of orange. Raw wheat dominates the palate, with just some sweet yeast flavour to offset. A dry finish. Cleansing enough to be OK.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
nate2g (1548) - Boomtown!, AUSTRALIA - DEC 16, 2008
Pours a light straw colour with small white head. Wheat malt aroma, very subtle banana ester which carries over to the flavour. Lacking true hefeweizen characteristics, its thinbodied, watery texture and average finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Muggus69 (1362) - Yarram, Vic, AUSTRALIA - OCT 28, 2008
345ml bottle, BB July 08! Whoops, guess thats why its a freebie... Pours a reasonably hazy orange-straw body, small creamy white head. Aroma has some subtle estery notes; banana, apple, apricot, some clove and bread in there, and typical damp cloth Aussie macro skunk that comes along and ruins it a bit. Lively carbonation, but missing the creamy mouthfeel of a typical hefe. Watery in general, not a great deal of length, some slight dryness and acid. Wheaty malt body, slight gritty grain quality, fair bit of pepper and clove on the body, overly ripe banana and apple. Finishes with barely any bitterness, chalky and drying, bit of banana lingers. I’m gonna say it’s not bad, certainly doesn’t hold a candle to most hefeweizens, but its drinkable, even when a few months out of date...or maybe that helps!?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
rmussman (1702) - California, USA - SEP 23, 2008
Sampled (3 times) and enjoyed a nice wheat beer. Went down really smooth. Not too cloudy but not bad.