overall
Brewed by Matilda Bay Brewing Co. (CUB)
Style: German Hefeweizen
Port Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 151   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86/5   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
bmeup (631) - Ormeau, AUSTRALIA - MAR 1, 2010
Fist taste in about 1985. Think beers in Queensland at that time. It was cloudy, yellow straw coloured with a thick Cumulous head [appearance always first] and a sensational summer Whitbier. Can’t do the whole roasty, toasty, grassy, doughy bubblegum bit. Probably one of the first boutique beers in Oz and sadly missed. This rating is for the ’New’ original.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Beershine (5219) - The Sunshine State, Florida, USA - JAN 28, 2010
Bottle. Disappointingly clear, golden, small white head. Estery yeast aroma has banana, is pretty boring. Very soft palate. Nice and quaffable and clean. Basically a crystal weizen (the bottle was just labeled wheat--glad they’re calling it what it is), bland boring flavors but something that can be had for refreshment.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
davidm (2057) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - NOV 6, 2009
Tap. Not too bad. Wheat, grass, and apple in the nose. Flavour is sweet, with lingering bitterness. Thin and watery mouthfeel. Yellow colour, bubbly, frothy white head that disappears.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Dervock (870) - AUSTRALIA - SEP 8, 2009
Bottle - Hadn’t had a Redback in years and what I got was not how I remembered it! pours a very light straw colour witha small tight white head. Yeasty floral aroma, slightly citric. Initial flavour is wheat up front , then a hint of banana, before the dry floral yeast and hop finish. As I mentioned not how I remembered it, this was better!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
NoiZe (2323) - Zeist, NETHERLANDS - JUN 21, 2009
Had this one during my holiday in Australia april/may 2009. Golden colored brew. Floral aroma. Lemon, citric, wheat, refreshing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mickmac (484) - Ngunnawal, AUSTRALIA - JUN 12, 2009
Bottle. Pours with a small frothy white head and a clear straw coloured body. Aroma is driven by the yeast-being abalance between the usual wheat beer characteristics of banana and clove. A nice fizzy mouthfeel and a refreshingly acidic finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
frankcolub (83) - Ashbury, AUSTRALIA - APR 26, 2009
Bottled. Pale golden colour, not much head. Aroma is of wheat and bitter hops . Flavour is malts, wheat and hops .. Aftertaste is wheaty and fruity. Not the typical German Hefeweizen....but not bad.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
scotty (1131) - SCOTLAND - MAR 6, 2009
Oddbins sold this when I worked for them a while back, it was one of the many products that acquired cult status among the staff. At that time I was a fussy Camra member and I liked to think I was quite particular about the beers I drank (I even liked some lagers, but they had to be GOOD lagers) I thought this was great stuff, although it has to be said that I didn’t have much experience of wheat beers then, but that shouldn’t be the point! I’ve given it average scores as it was before my ratebeer days but I’ve given it 15 as i thought it was so bloody good! Just wish I could find it again in, or around, Edinburgh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
BroSpud (2019) - , Massachusetts, USA - FEB 22, 2009
Draft. (Previous tasting from memory) Had a chance to sample all the Redback offerings several years ago on a visit to Australia. I don’t remember specifics but do remember enjoying every one of them.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
TheGrandMaster (2335) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - DEC 23, 2008
Bottle. Wheat and yeast on the nose, only hints of orange. Raw wheat dominates the palate, with just some sweet yeast flavour to offset. A dry finish. Cleansing enough to be OK.