overall

RATINGS: 1130   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Our Coconut Porter is a classic robust porter spiced with all natural toasted coconut. It is black in color and crowned with a creamy, dark tan head. It begins with a malty-toasted-coconut aroma followed by a rich, silky mouthfeel with tastes of dark malt, chocolate, and hints of coffee. It then finishes with flavors of toasted coconut and hoppy spice to balance the finish.

BrewDad (5004) - Olympia, Washington, USA - JAN 24, 2008
12oz Can - The Liquor Collection - Honolulu, Hawaii
Aroma – Deep rich Dark malt with a light lingering Coconut aroma.
Appearance – Dark brown in color a hazy look with a nice brown head. Felt like it was a porter shook up look.
Flavor – Tons of chocolate and coconut flavor in the beer. A great beer and a fun beer to drink.
Palate – Nice Mouthfeel, great texture with a nice dry finish.
Overall – I like this beer it is going to have a cult following and people from all over are going to seek this beer. It is a great idea and a great brew. Great Job.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
mvcramer (243) - Lexington, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 10, 2008
Always great to find an amazing beer in a fairly obscure style. Not many like this on the mainland. Loved this one. Dark pour I with a nice foamy tan head. Nice chocolate and coffee notes and on the palate. Great porter. Coconut is as subtle and delicious as I had hoped. Not too overpowering. The brewers at Maui executed this one perfectly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PamelaCupcakes (2) - USA - JAN 8, 2008 does not count
This is the one beer that I would chance mixing with premium vanilla ice cream. I’m not sure if this makes it sound yummy to others, though.

WISEGUY572 (1373) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 6, 2008
This one is so much better than you would expect a coconut beer in a can to be that it is getting lots of sympathy points in the ratings. And it is surprisingly nice for a low alcohol porter, providing bonus points. Slightly sweet, slightly chocolately nose, strong coconut in the finish, but sweet and balanced. Not big in the mouth, but again quite acceptable in a lowish alcohol beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aubrey (3444) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JAN 4, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2008 Didn’t think I’d like this one at all, but it kind of surprised me. It poured very dark with a tan head. Aromas were pretty bold, mostly coconut and roast. Body was pretty nice -- not too thin and not too thick. Malts were very toasty and sweet. Coconut aromas really gave the beer a bit of depth. I’m not a big coconut fan, either, and I actually enjoyed that unique addition. Lesser notes of sweet vanilla and dark chocolate followed. Pleasant and enjoyable porter. Only complaint was that it was a tad too sweet for my buds.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
drseamus (103) - Troy, New York, USA - DEC 24, 2007
I had this beer on tap at the brewery while I was on vacation there. I love porters, but I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when I had this beer. It is possible that I built the beer up too much in my mind because it won gold at the 2006 World Beer Cup. It pours very dark with slight ruby color at the edge. The aroma is farily light with hop and roasted hints. As a robust porter, it isn’t bad but the coconut isn’t as strong as I would have hoped. It doesn’t really make itself evident until the back end of the flavor when I can taste some burnt coconut. Overall it is pretty balanced.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
haggis03a3 (164) - Piedmont, California, USA - DEC 15, 2007
Can. Brown with beige head. Aroma of coffee, sweet coconut. Roasty, toasty, malty coconut, coffee flavor. Some hops on the finish. Quite sweet but it works. Good body, smooth texture.

kp (10886) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - DEC 12, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2009
Date: December 01, 2007
Mode: Draft
Source: Tasting, Strong Ale Fest
Appearance: dark brown, wispy beige head
Aroma: sweet chocolate and cocoanut aroma
Flavor: rich sweet chocolate flavor, lots of sweet toasted cocoanut, light balancing bitterness from a touch of roasted malts

Date: October 11, 2008
Mode: can
Source: cellar tasting
such a great chocolate and coconut flavor, sweet coconut does a great job to bring out the chocolate,

Aroma: 7/10; Appearance: 7/10; Flavor: 7/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 15/20
Rating: 3.6/5.0
Drinkability: 8/10
Score: **4

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
marchcow (664) - Coralville, Iowa, USA - DEC 5, 2007
I’ve been saving these cans since July and now at the beginning of the Iowa winter, a little taste of the islands. The aroma begins with noticeable coconut and chocolate notes. Flavors are the same with the addition of a slight smokiness and some rice. Creamy and smooth with a mild overall palate. Sweetly balanced. A decent porter. My 400th rating.

heemer77 (5105) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - DEC 5, 2007
UPDATED: APR 3, 2008 Trying this one again, lots of coconut in the aroma. Canned, thanks for sharing, marchcow. This was exactly what I was expecting. Black body with a light brown head. The aroma was obvious coconut with some milk chocolate and coffee. The taste was light milk chocolate with some roasted peanuts. A nice porter.