overall

RATINGS: 1163   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Our Coconut Porter is a classic robust porter spiced with all natural toasted coconut. It is black in color and crowned with a creamy, dark tan head. It begins with a malty-toasted-coconut aroma followed by a rich, silky mouthfeel with tastes of dark malt, chocolate, and hints of coffee. It then finishes with flavors of toasted coconut and hoppy spice to balance the finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 20, 2008
12oz can. Before this the only coconut beer I’ve had is a homebrew (mine) so I don’t have too much to contrast with this one. Pours a fairly light brown/black with lots of red highlights. A big tan head forms but the retention is lacking and eventually it leaves completely. Aroma is coconut upfront backed by tobacco, chocolate, and maltiness. The normal porter stuff is there and nice but the coconut is upfront. I would call the coconut component subtle but it is certainly very noticeable and not under done. Taste is the same as the aroma, a little watery and the body is a little thin. A fuller body and more creaminess would do this beer good. This is good though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
awaisanen (1304) - Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 20, 2008
From a 12oz Can. Charcoal black colored pour with a creamy froth of beige head. Aromas of toasted coconut and chocolate; german chocolate cake. Coffee, roast, and some gooey caramel. The coconut actually overwhelms the malt a bit in the nose, giving it a bit of a stringy, grainy aroma. Medium-light bodied, moderately carbonated mouthfeel with a soft, creamy texture. Flavors of coffee and roast up front on the palate, followed by a softer, vanilla coconut note. Gets roasty again in the finish, along with a mildly spicy licorice flavor. The coconut flavors are clear and well-integrated into a decent porter base beer, which certainly isn’t lost. Highly drinkable. More malt complexity would be nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Enniskillen (2044) - Salinas, California, USA - OCT 19, 2008
Black with a tan head. Aroma is roasty coconut, light coffee like flavor and chocolate. Taste is a malty toasted coconut, with a nice balanced roastiness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ajm (1066) - Los Angeles, California, USA - OCT 18, 2008
Can from Joey @ South Bay. I am surprised this is a porter - very whispy in color, thin in body and SO unusually flavored. Seems more at home as a Fruit Beer because this is simply unlike any Porter I have encountered. The usual roasty, coffee, buttery notes take a backseat to the coconut which is juicy, caramelized, and morphs into a banana on the finish. Most drinkable porter I have had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Odeed (1796) - Bakersfield, California, USA - OCT 15, 2008
black body with red highlights.nice brown head.i pick up coca,chocolate,coffee,and coconut.nice full mouthfeel in a lower alcohol beer.simply awesome.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
alexanderj (3406) - Branson, Missouri, USA - OCT 15, 2008
Can; poured an extremely dark brown/black with a small, light brown head. Just a really fantastic aroma. Familiar roasted malt and caramel elements; but the toasted coconut really adds some nice dimensions. Coconut, fruit and nuts. Some hints of vanilla. Flavor wasn’t as quite dynamic, but it was still really good. Roasted malt with some coconut-fruitiness. Both rich and quaffable for the style. Very good for the style, and the aroma is elite.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 13, 2008
I have never been to the islands of Hawaii, though I would most certainly like to. Sooner than later if I can help it. In the meantime though, I shall continue to live vicariously through various brews I can get from the diverse and sunny islands. Maui in particular harbors a unique and excellent craft brewery by the original name or Maui Brewing. Simple is best, and Maui Brewing makes craft brewing, an art form, seem simple. They also further support my theory that Good beer does come in a can. No longer do we need to fear the canned beer. Instead, she is to be lovingly embraced, tenderly caressed, and reverently savored.
A dark brown-black body with a thick head of cappuccino tinged foam immediately fills my glass. Hints of amber peek through where the light meets the edges of the glass and the brew. The head slowly settles into a light layer on top of the awaiting brew. Immediately I am seduced by rich milk chocolate, warm cream, and toasted coconut. As my nose soaks in the aroma, my mouth starts to water in anticipation. My first quaff and I immediately crave an almond joy. A full and slightly sticky sweet body which clings to my mouth just enough. In the meantime, I am enjoying the orgy of flavors in my mouth: rich milk chocolate, hints of dark chocolate, warm cream, and rich toasted coconut. I am wholly seduced and there cannot be any treat more delectable than the Maui Brewing CoCoNut Porter. Each quaff leaves minute trails of brussels lace and an unquenchable thirst for more. Only a minor hint of bitterness in its finish from the roasted malts. Not one to leave my mouth parched for long, I savor another quaff as my glass empties.
While I enjoyed every single aroma and sip of my can of Maui Brewing CoCoNut Porter, it was sadly the only can I had. Currently only available in America in California, I must now embark on a holy beer mission to acquire at least a 6 pack, and if the beer gods and goddesses should smile on me, a case of the best porter I have quaffed to date.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
yobdoog (1888) - Kingston, New York, USA - OCT 12, 2008
Great can. Very dark and has a good amount of bitterness. I really have to dig to get a toasted coconut taste but overall it is a very good porter. Rich and smooth. Coffee and dark chocolate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
unclemattie (4356) - Georgia, USA - OCT 11, 2008
12oz bottle. medium - dark brown. no head. aroma of roasted barley and even some toasted coconut. Big chocolate, some coconut, lots of roast. Not what I was expecting, still one of the best Porters made.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ATLBeerDog (280) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 11, 2008
From a 12oz can - Pours a dark brownish/black. Below average carbonation, no lacing whatsoever. Smells of strong coffee and chocolate. First sip is all dark chocolate and coffee with just a little coconut notes shinning through. A nice hoppy presence all make it work. Great bitter dark chocolate finish. A very fine beer from our 50th state!