overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 233   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
This red ale, brewed with Liliko’l and Michigan cherries is ruby red in color, tart and refershing in flavor. Working with Ron is something I’ve wanted to do since I had my first Jolly Pumpkin Beer. Years later its a reality. Being involved on this project was an honor and a privilege. Mahalo to my MBC crew and to you, fans of craft beer. Aloha, John Walsh.
Yes, Michigan and Hawai’i are connected. It should be obvious to you know, as you hold this beer, and read this label. John and I designed this beer with two noble fruits from two noble states. Michigan & Hawaii. Cherries & Lilko’i. Starting to see the connection? I feel it. So does John. 4391 miles may separate our breweries, but not our thirst for the exquisite. Hipa! - Ron Jeffries

kickrjason (24) - - OCT 2, 2012
GREAT BEER! Malty, Tart, fruity. This is a great beer that I'm sad to drink my last one of. I only wish I could have gotten my hands on some of the jolly pumpkin version b ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pras (420) - Maryland, USA - JUN 9, 2012
Tasted at Savor. Tried the non soured first and then the soured. This beer was good both ways, but I have a thing now for sours, and this one hit the spot. Color was dark ruby red. Flavor had lots of fruit, cherries really came through. Sourness was in balance. Nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dwyerpg (4436) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 20, 2012
I liked this quite a bit. Looks a bit flat, but the flavor has a very tasty sourness to it, mostly of cherries. Can’t identify the passion fruit, but this is a good fruit beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
onceblind (3933) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 11, 2012
Clear dark dark ruby with a truly enchanting aroma of toffee, sweet (not tart) cherries, and a good heaping of passion fruit. Unfortunately the beige head doesnt last too long. Smooth full flavor on a nicely restrained body, holds back from being too sweet, offering balance with a slight tartiness and just a little bitterness. Perfect amount of carbonation as well, just a little bit of tingle while still smooth enough to leave it all hanging. Wonderful flavors of toffee, earthy dark cherries, passion fruit/guava (I know it’s lilko’i but I’ve never tasted it, soo...) with just enough of a piney hop bitterness to finish out the fruity end with a bang.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheRussB (20) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JUN 19, 2012
Pours a murky reddish brown with a thin cream colored head. Notes of caramel malts, tropical fruits, and tart cherries. Seems like a brown ale with some touches of fruit here and there. This is a good start as they did what they said they would do, but I have a feeling the JP version will be much better. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
legion242 (2142) - Richardson, Texas, USA - AUG 13, 2012
Poured the ugliest reddish-brown: murky as hell with tons of floaties and this excited me greatly. Not being a gan of sours, I was worried, but this had just the right amount of pucker to it. Quite, quite quaffable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brigadier (2875) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - APR 14, 2013
12 ounce can
Thanks to a West Coast contact for sending me a can of this. I have the Jolly Pumpkin version on deck and after trying this will open it as soon as I can. If it is anything like this release then it should be a great experience. Two thumbs up for a winning partnership.

Aroma / Appearance - Muddy river water pours into the glass with a lush lively carbonation and short lived head. Pineapples, passion fruit, and mango merge with fresh from the oven cherry pie. This is as close to tropical as you get without that imperial IPA over the top hop presence.

Flavor / Palate - Passion fruit, mango, and cherries carry a pleasant tang from the first sip to the back of the throat. Sort of like a mai tai in beer form this goes down far too quickly. Well balanced and exceptionally rich this would be great to keep around the house for hot summer days.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
doublebock (496) - California, USA - JUN 3, 2012
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2012 First! Pours a copper light brown with a healthy white head. Aroma of passionfruit juice. This same flavor permeates the taste as well. Sweet, tropical pineapple, and very easy drinking. Not really picking up on the cherry but there is a tart finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
minch25 (577) - Medford, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 6, 2012
Hazy dull brown; frothy tan head. Passionfruit aroma. Passionfruit flavor; lightly bitter. Very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MikeJslc (712) - USA - JUN 9, 2012
This is Maui Brewing Co.'s half of the collaboration with Jolly Pumpkin. On draft at Flatbread in Paia, Maui, HI. Light brown and very cloudy, thin tan head. Aroma has lots of lilikoi (passionfruit), some toasted malt, light cherries. Flavor again has lots of passionfruit, some grainy malt and light toast, and a very pleasing lightly tart cherry finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone