McCoys Newcombs IPA
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 63   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Despite the ban on women in the Union Army, Elizabeth Newcomb fought in the Civil War. Bill, as she was known, dressed as a man and saw combat in several battles. We have named our India Pale Ale after Elizabeth because its looks are deceiving. Although light in color, it is fully hopped with a bold, bitter taste. This beer is not for the rookie ale drinkers, and certainly would have been a favorite of Elizabeth’s.

bipolar1 (268) - Hancock, Michigan, USA - MAR 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2005 I guess I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be looking for in a lot of these beers, so my only option is to just try them and see how much I enjoy them. I read a lot of reviews from respected members here, and hear a lot of descriptions of the highest rated beers, and sometimes get confused. My friend’s dad, who is a wine steward, once told me, "If you like something, then it’s good". Well this beer came to me from a beer of the month club that my sister got me as a gift. I thought it was phenomenal stuff, and would recommend it to anyone looking for sharp hop flavor. If you’ve tried Bell’s Expedition Stout, Sprecher Black Bavarian, Dragon Stout or New Holland Ichabod Pumpkin Ale, I would put this right there in the list of beers which I felt needed no improvement.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - MAR 6, 2005
On tap at the brewpub. Floral, hoppy bouquet. Cascade or Yakima is my guess. Very pleasant aroma either way. Deep gold, bordering on orange. Delightfully hoppy- not violently hoppy. Nice lacing. A very drinkable beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
hellomynameis (876) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - OCT 28, 2004
This was my first stab at a hoppy beer. When my pint showed up, there was little head left but the lacing was great. The aroma, while not too strong, was dominated by the hops. I liked the colour, it was an orangish yellow and was slightly cloudy. The initial taste was very bitter, but it balanced out fairly well with some malt. However the aftertaste was overpowering and was even a bit acidic. I liked the last 1/4 of the beer more than I liked the first 1/4. I’m not sure if this was due to the beer warming a bit, or if I just got used to the bittnerss and hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
obisbeer (565) - Barcelona, SPAIN - SEP 28, 2004
Deep golden with thick head. Pine, light fruit, though not a lot of nose. Med weight with bitter dry finish. Light fruit, with a overpowering bitter flavor. Not well balanced, better as it warms.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Dansting (222) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - JUN 17, 2004
So so. Not one of my favorite IPA’s. Not bad though. It looked great, like most IPA’s do, but it had an acid-like aftertaste which wasn’t very pleasant. It also doesn’t have the best aroma, which I find most IPA’s too. However, it you’re there, give it a try.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ElGaucho (2299) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - MAY 19, 2004
Perfumy hop aroma with pine and resin notes. Small white head with excellent lacing. Body is a hazy orange. Medium to full bodied with lively carbonation. Long finish and heavily bitter. Served with blackened sea bass & jumbo prawns at McCoy’s Brewmaster’s beer dinner in St. Louis Park, MN on 5/18/04. A very nice pairing for a very solid beer, the best McCoy’s beer I have tasted. Contains Fuggle, Pacific Northwest, Centennial and Chinook hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - JAN 12, 2004
GABF '03. There are breweries in Kansas City? This may be the most boring IPA I had a the fest. Golden in color is the best thing I can say about this stuff. Keep trying guys.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - OCT 8, 2003
Slightly cloudy gold color. Very mild hops aroma, but, wow, a West-coast IPA hops flavor. Still, nicely balanced.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
OldJack99 (114) - USA - DEC 8, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2003 extremely hopped beer. If you love hops you"d probably like this beer, the hops are kinda bitter and very dominant and I like my IPA"s hoppy but not this hoppy, all you taste is strong hop bitterness. Okay beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Indra (2706) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - SEP 14, 2002
Super citrusy, fruity hop aroma, but a little noticeable malt, too. Hazy light golden amber color, that would make this beer only partially filtered, then. Flavor also has some nice malt sweetness leaking through the hop juices. Very fruity hop flavors. Balanced throughout, even to the aftertaste, which has some pine and lightly bready maltiness. Pretty good!