McCoys Newcombs IPA
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 62   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Despite the ban on women in the Union Army, Elizabeth Newcomb fought in the Civil War. Bill, as she was known, dressed as a man and saw combat in several battles. We have named our India Pale Ale after Elizabeth because its looks are deceiving. Although light in color, it is fully hopped with a bold, bitter taste. This beer is not for the rookie ale drinkers, and certainly would have been a favorite of Elizabeth’s.

bipolar1 (268) - Hancock, Michigan, USA - MAR 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2005 I guess I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be looking for in a lot of these beers, so my only option is to just try them and see how much I enjoy them. I read a lot of reviews from respected members here, and hear a lot of descriptions of the highest rated beers, and sometimes get confused. My friend’s dad, who is a wine steward, once told me, "If you like something, then it’s good". Well this beer came to me from a beer of the month club that my sister got me as a gift. I thought it was phenomenal stuff, and would recommend it to anyone looking for sharp hop flavor. If you’ve tried Bell’s Expedition Stout, Sprecher Black Bavarian, Dragon Stout or New Holland Ichabod Pumpkin Ale, I would put this right there in the list of beers which I felt needed no improvement.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MissouriBrent (122) - Missouri, USA - AUG 22, 2010
Good hop aroma. Lots of citrus notes. Hints of caramel malt in the aroma. The more I smell this the more I like it. Floral notes come through in the aroma as it sits. Nice orange amber color with full long lasting head. Nice flavor with hops and malt well balanced. Very nice flavor. Each sip makes me wonder if the malt or hops is the main flavor. Very tasty. Full bodied with a pleasantly somewhat sweet aftertaste. I like this beer. I wasn’t expecting such a happy smile on my face, but this is damned tasty beer. I’m leaving with a growler of this for sure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Braudog (5894) - Traveling the USA, Missouri, USA - JUN 12, 2005
This is a medium-dark amber beer witha nice citric aroma. This ale follows with the promised grapefruit hoppiness and medium body. Very good American-style IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ElGaucho (2240) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - MAY 19, 2004
Perfumy hop aroma with pine and resin notes. Small white head with excellent lacing. Body is a hazy orange. Medium to full bodied with lively carbonation. Long finish and heavily bitter. Served with blackened sea bass & jumbo prawns at McCoy’s Brewmaster’s beer dinner in St. Louis Park, MN on 5/18/04. A very nice pairing for a very solid beer, the best McCoy’s beer I have tasted. Contains Fuggle, Pacific Northwest, Centennial and Chinook hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Andbrewer (18) - St. Joseph, Missouri, USA - FEB 25, 2009
On tap at the brewpub. Quite tasty. Strong aroma of hops and malt, as to be expected. Filtered through hops 3 times if I recall correctly, so higher on the IBU scale, but not terrible. Balanced very well. Very enjoyable. Will drink again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Aubrey (3451) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - FEB 15, 2002
Nice malt flavor, underplayed behind a wonderful hop presence. Nice aroma, but it’s the heavy hop bitterness that gets all the attention in the beer. It definitely has that fresh, ’craft-brewed’ flavor. Drinking one of these made me want another.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
tjthresh (1866) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - AUG 20, 2005
Big citrus (orange and grapefruit) with some subtle malt sweetness. Copper orange with red and yellow highlights. White, clingy head. Very well balanced. Hops take the lead, but the malt holds its own. Probably the best beer available at any KC brewpub.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
csaso (1460) - Missouri, USA - AUG 18, 2011
Tap - small foamy head, light-Med amber color, nice strong hoppy/citrusy aroma and flavor

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beloved Beer (278) - California, USA - JUN 18, 2002
Tasty stuff with heaps of hops. One of the finer IPA’s I have had. Still seemed to have a little sweetness mixed in with all those hops which I liked.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DJMonarch (9158) - Northwich, Cheshire, ENGLAND - MAR 15, 2006
Barrel Draught from the jug at the GABF, Colorado Convention Center 30/09/2005 Golden coloured and hoppy with an orange fruit aroma and flavour. Crisp slightly bitter finish.