overall
Bedford, England
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 933   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottle: Filtered
Deep brown colour. A chocolate and caramel body with a lingering sweet finish.
Originally brewed by McEwan’s at the Fountain brewery in Edinburgh. Production moved from Fountain to the Caledonian Brewery in 2004. The McEwan’s brand passed to Heineken in 2008 after their purchase of Scottish & Newcastle’s British operations. Heineken sold the brand to Wells & Youngs in 2011. Packaged (bottle & can) McEwan’s beers are produced at Wells & Youngs brewery in Bedford.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
crazydiamond (48) - Michigan, USA - FEB 4, 2002
One of my favorites for sitting & sipping. Malty, warming & sweet. This beer is the beer that I’ve patterned my personal favorite recipe against.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 3, 2002
An old favorite, and I’m glad to see that it hasn’t changed. Very dark, very malty, and with a pronounced Scotch whiskey finish. Just about the best beer that can be had for under $8 a six-pack.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - FEB 1, 2002
Pretty bitter compared to my usual drink. Best enjoyed ice-cold while sitting around at the camp telling hunting stories. Pretty damn non-offensive for the 8%. I guess its my heritage or something to drink this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JAN 28, 2002
Good and malty and a sweet winey aroma. Thick as well. You might get drunk from the fumes. Loses points because I think it contains corn syrup

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gooner (136) - Chatham, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 28, 2002
This is an above average ale. Great malts, but very unbalanced. A little sweet on the palate. However, this beer is great with strong cheddar cheese. Eat a piece of strong cheddar cheese, then sip some McEwans Scottish Ale and swish it around. Ohhhhhhh, it’s heaven! They go great together. I saw this take place on a Quebecois televison programme. I figured I’d try out the strong cheddar and McEwans...and it worked fantastic. Try out the strong cheddar cheese + McEwans Scottish Ale for desert. Recommended highly...and you’ll look so sophisticated. Your friends will be impressed. :)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JAN 23, 2002
One of the better scottish ales. Dark like mollasses with notes of toffee and licorice. Abv is well hidden.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Oakes (12234) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 20, 2002
I guess this one got aliased backwards. D’oh! Anyway, I gave up on this stuff years ago but decided to re-visit it, just for Gusler. It starts off right - dark chestnut colour, richly malty aroma with peat, treacle, plums....but then it falls apart. The palate is overly sweet, one-dimensional, clearly too much corn used in this one, and then it gets watery. Watery palates and unbalanced sugariness just don’t work for me. Sorry, Gus, it’s just not for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brian (145) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 19, 2002
Nice head, though not substantial. Nice aroma of spices, which continues as one drinks the beer. Very sweet, yet smooth for 8% alcohol. Although I’m not one for ’spicier’ beer, this ale has the right stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 17, 2002
Re-Rate 01/16/02: This is a ’Staple’ beer, one I keep on hand at all times, as I do Optimator, and a few others. Pours a nice deep brown, generous beige head, and fair lace. The nose is malt, slightly sweet, perfumey? Front is sweet, the middle medium, the carbonation is moderate, the finish is hop spicy and a tad dry. Not the best Scotch Ale I’ve tasted, but a good one none the lace.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - JAN 16, 2002
Amazing aroma... when you pop a top on one of these, the whole room fills up with the scent of beer! Nice sweet, malty flavor. I have also found that many of my friends who usually drink the big 3, like this beer. Very good.