Brewed by Charles Wells
Bedford, England
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 958   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottle: Filtered
Deep brown colour. A chocolate and caramel body with a lingering sweet finish.
Originally brewed by McEwan’s at the Fountain brewery in Edinburgh. Production moved from Fountain to the Caledonian Brewery in 2004. The McEwan’s brand passed to Heineken in 2008 after their purchase of Scottish & Newcastle’s British operations. Heineken sold the brand to Wells & Youngs in 2011. Packaged (bottle & can) McEwan’s beers are produced at Wells & Youngs brewery in Bedford.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Choke (96) - Massachusetts, USA - APR 2, 2002
By Far My favorite Ale this ranks right up there for my favorite brew, Very Sweet Smooth taste and great after taste....At $11.00 a six pack this stuff is cheap.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
turtlehead (111) - Nottingham, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 30, 2002
Slightly vinuous aroma and taste with a quickly fading bitterness. Beautiful medium amber color with a slightly off-white head. Light body as well. By far not my favorite Scottish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 29, 2002
Smells like Coca-cola. Deep red/brown colour. Tastes like treacle toffee. Complex, with hints of raisins and port. Nice warming finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerstop (173) - Roanoke, Virginia, USA - MAR 27, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2003 re rate - I've noticed alcohol a bit more the last few times so I'm knocking the flavor score down a notch. Still one of my staple beers. Very malty, very molasses like sweetness. I really don't notice the 8% alcohol content at all. I haven't tried other Scotch Ale's, but if they are even slightly better than this one this is a style of beer I'll be drinking for years to come. Re-Rate: Ok, now that I've tried other Scotch Ales, I have a better appreciation for just how good this one is. Downgrading palate and appearance as their is really nothing above average about either, but I'm notching aroma up to an 8 as the sweet, malty, molasses aroma is delicious. Every time I sit down to drink one I end up having four and pay for it the next day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
fraternie (947) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2002
Surprisingly good ale. No bitterness whatsoever and it very easy on the palate. Could have used a little more flavor, but good as is.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Darkover (1529) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 26, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2003 Very dark amber. Almost no head. Smooth. I can't taste the alcohol. Long acidic finish. Let this warm a little before you drink it, its much better that way.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 24, 2002
Incredible appearence! Deep amber-brown colour that becomes a magnificient ruby red when held up to the light! Nice creamy, off-white head with beatiful lacing. Nutty, butterscotch, toffee aroma. The palate is failry thin and the beer has an oily mouthfeel. The flavour is almost bock-like in the fact that it is so well rounded and smooth. It does have the characterisitc fruitness of a Scotch Ale, though(raisins and plums), followed by a nutty caramel middle, leading up to a pleasantly lingering fruity finish. For me, this is the definitive example of a Scotch Ale and it puts Belhaven’s Wee Heavy to shame. This beer shows incredibly restraint for its strength. The 8% ABV is only moderately apparent towards the finish. A classic!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - MAR 22, 2002
Okay, but pretty light and watery, especially considering the alcohol content. I need to add that I’m at a friend’s place at an NCAA basketball-watching party, and I’m actually lame enough to be on his laptop rating brews. On an unrelated note, we opened up my first homebrew tonight. Unfortunately I screwed up the carbonation and it came out terrible. The next batch will be great though!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Merc (313) - Pullman, Washington, USA - MAR 19, 2002
Aroma and flavour reminded me of apple juice and red wind. A different from other scottishes I’ve tried, I wouldn’t get it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Gregory (357) - Pullman, Washington, USA - MAR 19, 2002
Not bad. It has a nice aroma, and a somewhat rich flavor, but overalll I thought it was watery. Could be much more flavorful.