overall
Bedford, England
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 940   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottle: Filtered
Deep brown colour. A chocolate and caramel body with a lingering sweet finish.
Originally brewed by McEwan’s at the Fountain brewery in Edinburgh. Production moved from Fountain to the Caledonian Brewery in 2004. The McEwan’s brand passed to Heineken in 2008 after their purchase of Scottish & Newcastle’s British operations. Heineken sold the brand to Wells & Youngs in 2011. Packaged (bottle & can) McEwan’s beers are produced at Wells & Youngs brewery in Bedford.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BeerNazi (169) - winnetka, California, USA - SEP 20, 2001
decent,highly over priced here.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
johnson2020 (79) - Canton, Michigan, USA - SEP 11, 2001
A very tasty Scottish ale. Sweetens as it warms up. Nice chocolate flavor, especially in the head. A little more hops would go a long way in this beer, but still very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
joet (2207) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - SEP 7, 2001
Without the peaty, power and spice of great Scotch ales but still a fun and interestign Scotch ale. My first and I was very pleasantly surprised.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - SEP 7, 2001
Huge caramel maltiness with some roasted overtones. The winey-fruit alcohol bite and aftertaste was strange and lingered for a while. Thick and rich but not as ’Scotch Ale’ like in character as I prefer. A good one, just not a great one. Was way (4x) too sweet once it reached cellar temp.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - SEP 2, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2003 One of the best scottish ales around. Very boldly flavored while remaining tasteful. They really know how to make this stuff right over there. I believed this until I had some much better scottish ales. I still cant complain about this one, A nice roasted malt combo of caramel and chocolate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mikenodak (150) - Fargo, North Dakota, USA - AUG 18, 2001
Great beer. The first time I tried it I thought it was too sweet, but now it has grown on me. One of my all time faves. Sweet, some scotch (peat?) flavor, not very hoppy, but who cares. nice color, good aftertaste, stronger than it seems. For those who don’t like it, use it for marinating pork (fabulous for this), but I’d rather drink it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 12, 2001
I didn’t think that this was too sweet, it felt about right. Nice and easy on the tongue, good for dessert.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Harlock99 (24) - Nova Scotia, CANADA - AUG 11, 2001
It depends on my mood, but this isn’t bad. Sometimes the uber-sweetness will get to me and I’ll think I’m drinking wine or cough medicine, but it *does* work with cigars and it *does* get one sloshed pretty quick. One bottle is also a good way to start your drinking night.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Hougly (37) - Nova Scotia, CANADA - AUG 6, 2001
Nasty wine taste to it! But hey it’s great with a good cigar. The after-taste gets better with time. Not something I’d drink again but nothing I’d bash either.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
titan99 (24) - USA - AUG 2, 2001
Exceptionally smooth. So many flavors. Great Beer.