overall
Bedford, England
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 936   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottle: Filtered
Deep brown colour. A chocolate and caramel body with a lingering sweet finish.
Originally brewed by McEwan’s at the Fountain brewery in Edinburgh. Production moved from Fountain to the Caledonian Brewery in 2004. The McEwan’s brand passed to Heineken in 2008 after their purchase of Scottish & Newcastle’s British operations. Heineken sold the brand to Wells & Youngs in 2011. Packaged (bottle & can) McEwan’s beers are produced at Wells & Youngs brewery in Bedford.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - SEP 2, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2003 One of the best scottish ales around. Very boldly flavored while remaining tasteful. They really know how to make this stuff right over there. I believed this until I had some much better scottish ales. I still cant complain about this one, A nice roasted malt combo of caramel and chocolate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mikenodak (150) - Fargo, North Dakota, USA - AUG 18, 2001
Great beer. The first time I tried it I thought it was too sweet, but now it has grown on me. One of my all time faves. Sweet, some scotch (peat?) flavor, not very hoppy, but who cares. nice color, good aftertaste, stronger than it seems. For those who don’t like it, use it for marinating pork (fabulous for this), but I’d rather drink it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 12, 2001
I didn’t think that this was too sweet, it felt about right. Nice and easy on the tongue, good for dessert.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Harlock99 (24) - Nova Scotia, CANADA - AUG 11, 2001
It depends on my mood, but this isn’t bad. Sometimes the uber-sweetness will get to me and I’ll think I’m drinking wine or cough medicine, but it *does* work with cigars and it *does* get one sloshed pretty quick. One bottle is also a good way to start your drinking night.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Hougly (37) - Nova Scotia, CANADA - AUG 6, 2001
Nasty wine taste to it! But hey it’s great with a good cigar. The after-taste gets better with time. Not something I’d drink again but nothing I’d bash either.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
titan99 (24) - USA - AUG 2, 2001
Exceptionally smooth. So many flavors. Great Beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
rtaylor99 (1) - Odessa, Texas, USA - JUL 31, 2001 does not count

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 24, 2001
Wow. Excellent beer. Strong, yet the sweetness seemed to mask the alcohol taste to me. Wonderful aftertaste just lingered for hours.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 23, 2001
Sweet and malty, with a great roasted caramel flavor and a deliciously creamy head that help make this an instant favorite. I enjoyed this from the first sip to the last. Just a wee bit bub-a-lay (my attempt at expressing a scottish accent with words). Robert the Bruce would be proud.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
fishman (350) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 22, 2001
12 ounces of pure Scottish goodness. Very dark red to brown, with a light, creamy head. Smokey, almost roasted caramel aroma. So smooth, so creamy, chocolate undertones, and a rich creamy caramel taste. Good to the last drop, a new favorite, and one of my top ten. Did I mention its really good.