overall
Bedford, England
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 978   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottle: Filtered
Deep brown colour. A chocolate and caramel body with a lingering sweet finish.
Originally brewed by McEwan’s at the Fountain brewery in Edinburgh. Production moved from Fountain to the Caledonian Brewery in 2004. The McEwan’s brand passed to Heineken in 2008 after their purchase of Scottish & Newcastle’s British operations. Heineken sold the brand to Wells & Youngs in 2011. Packaged (bottle & can) McEwan’s beers are produced at Wells & Youngs brewery in Bedford.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2002
Caramel/spicy, with little in the flavor to suggest the alcohol content. Better near room temp.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - FEB 16, 2002
Kind of thin on flavor for such a dark beer. Some sweet, almost cloying maltiness, only a slight hop bitterness. Odd buttery flavor (diacetyl?) was a little out of place.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
shorlin (721) - St. John’s, Newfoundland, CANADA - FEB 8, 2002
Deep brown, almost purple in the light. Decent head which does die somewhat. Sweet, fruity notes in the nose. Not a strong taste. Fairly simple. I think I was expecting a bigger beer, especially for Robbie Burns Day when I cracked this open.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RedEft (155) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - FEB 5, 2002
I came across this stuff before I really knew what good beer was, and I was hooked. Smooth, malty, and potent, one of my favorite beers for sipping.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dougan (93) - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, CANADA - FEB 5, 2002
I think this is one of my favorites too bad they only sell it in 6 packs.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
crazydiamond (48) - Michigan, USA - FEB 4, 2002
One of my favorites for sitting & sipping. Malty, warming & sweet. This beer is the beer that I’ve patterned my personal favorite recipe against.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 3, 2002
An old favorite, and I’m glad to see that it hasn’t changed. Very dark, very malty, and with a pronounced Scotch whiskey finish. Just about the best beer that can be had for under $8 a six-pack.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - FEB 1, 2002
Pretty bitter compared to my usual drink. Best enjoyed ice-cold while sitting around at the camp telling hunting stories. Pretty damn non-offensive for the 8%. I guess its my heritage or something to drink this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JAN 28, 2002
Good and malty and a sweet winey aroma. Thick as well. You might get drunk from the fumes. Loses points because I think it contains corn syrup

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gooner (136) - Chatham, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 28, 2002
This is an above average ale. Great malts, but very unbalanced. A little sweet on the palate. However, this beer is great with strong cheddar cheese. Eat a piece of strong cheddar cheese, then sip some McEwans Scottish Ale and swish it around. Ohhhhhhh, it’s heaven! They go great together. I saw this take place on a Quebecois televison programme. I figured I’d try out the strong cheddar and McEwans...and it worked fantastic. Try out the strong cheddar cheese + McEwans Scottish Ale for desert. Recommended highly...and you’ll look so sophisticated. Your friends will be impressed. :)