overall
Bedford, England
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 934   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottle: Filtered
Deep brown colour. A chocolate and caramel body with a lingering sweet finish.
Originally brewed by McEwan’s at the Fountain brewery in Edinburgh. Production moved from Fountain to the Caledonian Brewery in 2004. The McEwan’s brand passed to Heineken in 2008 after their purchase of Scottish & Newcastle’s British operations. Heineken sold the brand to Wells & Youngs in 2011. Packaged (bottle & can) McEwan’s beers are produced at Wells & Youngs brewery in Bedford.

rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 20, 2001
I continue to search, but by far the best scotch ale I have ever had. None other compares with the beautiful after taste that McEwans has. Very memorable.

lmahony199 (52) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - JUN 10, 2001
Best ale I’ve had, full of flavor, no bitterness yet no funky sweet taste

billypat99 (3) - USA - JUN 16, 2001 does not count

CAPTRON (8) - POQUOSON, Virginia, USA - JUL 22, 2003 does not count
Very malty with chocolate and caramel. This was my first exposure to the style and I have not found a better one since. Definitely one of my favorite beers and not bad with the occasional splash of blended scotch!

roboho (1) - USA - AUG 13, 2005 does not count
I love this beer. Sweet, thick and 8% by volume. Two of these and I have a nice buzz. The down side is that the taste (to me) is so appealing that I tend to want to keep drinking more which is not always in my own best interest. :)

jimhilt (2397) - Bow, New Hampshire, USA - APR 12, 2007
Pours a five finger light tan head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Deep mahogany color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Malty nose. Flavor is smooth, not too sweet, hops mellow, higher ABV is hidden. Really the standard for scotch ales. $1.99 for a 12oz bottle from Tull’s Beer & Wine Wells, ME.

Crash27 (1) - USA - JUN 6, 2007 does not count
i love this beer it is incredible i have always been a fan of guiness and alot of irish lagers or stouts and this is by far the best i’ve had

Sunset2b (2) - Chesterfield, Virginia, USA - FEB 24, 2008 does not count
My absolute favorite beer. Although they closed the brewery in 2005, the Newcastle folks have maintained the flavor.

blm225 (8) - Texas, USA - SEP 3, 2011 does not count
This is my favorite Scotch Ale of all time. I still have on six pack left. Slight smokey earthy aroma. Excellent head on a pour of this ale. Nice dark color. One thing about this ale is consistency. Bottle after bottle, six pack after six pack, year after year for the last 8 years I’ve enjoyed this ale, the brew has been consistent. This ale is much more bold or "heavy" than a most its peers but without an overpowering aftertaste. Indeed it has a aromatic smokey caramelized flavor and a complex bold slightly sweet finish. It’s best flavor seems to be around 55 degrees f. If you can find it, get it. This ale is what got me interested in craft ales in the first place. It is a shame they stopped exporting this ale just when the demand for heavy ales was starting to increase. There certainly is a huge demand for it in the United States and recently craft brewers here are attempting to mimic the flavor and the style of the lost Scottish heavies such as Lorimer’s and or course, the standard bearer McEwan’s Scotch Ale.

gorge (1) - - AUG 26, 2012 does not count
I love this beer it was my favorite and all my freinds and family loved it I hate this new la fin de mond frenchy crap bring back mcewans to edmonton Alberta Canada you made a lot of people very angry Wen you took it away from us Scottish clan we want are brew to be on our land just like the qweens land and we want mcewans beer to be in Canada every where agen screw hinakeen lil 5 % crap! Bring it back!