overall

RATINGS: 882   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.05   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Red Tail Ale - The Legend is our flagship brand. It is brewed in the traditional "old world" manner, using premium two-row malted barley, hops and our own special proprietary yeast strain. It is an amber ale with a rich complex refreshing flavor and a crisp dry finish. Red Tail Ale is "Bottle Conditioned." Like good wine, Red Tail Ale is a perfect complement to fine dining.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Raytailgater (105) - Rockledge, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 16, 2002
Stumbled onto this beer first in South Carolina. Good beer. Great label.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 7, 2002
For an amber ale its not too bad, but still its an amber ale. It has a very nice aroma and a good look, but the flavor is nothing special. A little bitterness and a little hoppieness, but nothing great.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
mmmm,beer99 (9) - Milford, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 14, 2002 does not count
This beer is horrible. I took one sip and had to pour it out. Tried another a few days later, same result. Very sour, undrinkable. I have the other 4 bottles and am going to throw them out. Can an entire 6-pack be skunky?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
argo0 (11181) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 7, 2002
I keep coming back to this one. It’s got the hops, but it’s also smooth and well-rounded.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2497) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - FEB 4, 2002
Hazy copper color with small head. Nice drinkable ale with a medium hop prfile. medium body. Light caramel malt presence - a very good session beer with better than average hops (citric).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - FEB 26, 2002
A nice drinkable amber ale, nice and hoppy. a nice drinking beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 3, 2002
I first tried this in the very early 1980’s, when I was 19 and cruising around California in an old Cadillac. I stumbled upon the Mendocino Brewing Co. by accident, it was in the middle of nowhere. It had been open for less than a year. We were looking for a place to eat and I saw the sign that said they make their own beer. Well this sure was a novelty at the time, and needless to say I freaked and pulled over. It was right about twilight and I still have the grainy photos of us eating and drinking there. At the time, I think Red Tail Ale and maybe one other was the extent of the brewery’s products. It was a special moment, one that I never forgot, and needless to say this beer holds a special place in my heart. I am tasting one today, probably the first that I have had since those young innocent days. And it is not bad, very hoppy in that California, Sierra Nevada way. It sort of tastes like the beer I make with my Mr. Beer though. Certainly better than average, but a standard representative of the American ’hey I can make my own beer’ style which is getting a little played out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
FreakyDog99 (5) - USA - FEB 3, 2002 does not count
Nice amber ale, well balanced hops/malt taste. Smooth finish and a beautiful color. A great Beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
211Gramma99 (38) - Chico, California, USA - FEB 2, 2002
Not a real bad beer. I found it to be a little bitter. It reminds me a little of sierra nevada pale ale

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dprior (118) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 7, 2002
A great amber ale. A decent sized, foamy head. A tad too much bitterness in the aftertaste, detracting from the overall score. Crisp and dry, yet not overdone.