Michigan Brewing Dry Stout
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.9/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
stoutlvr (52) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAY 8, 2006
I second Hennes comment regarding this beer being so thin. I have come to expect more body in a stout. I also detected something "rusty" in the flavor; as if the silos were oxidizing during brewing. neither Hennes or Inveigler mentioned this phenomenon, but Im sure Hennes excuse would be the ten previous samples. It is for what they obviously tried to achieve with this beer that I gave it a 16 overall. Cheers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - FEB 7, 2003
Nice pillowy head and very rich ebony appearance. Second Hennes comments about the nose, spectacularly rich roasted and coffee aromas. Java notes throughout the first sips, but it recedes into rich malts and nice bitter background. This is a well-balanced stout, and one of the best beers I have sampled at MBC.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - MAY 29, 2002
I was getting up to leave after sampling ten MBC brews but the bartender stopped me, giving me this one more. Im glad she did, if only for the nose, with is absolutely huge and gorgeous with roastiness. The flavour is good too, not as big as I hoped, but definite in its admixture of coffee and smokey chocolate that finishes pleasantly long and bitter. The only knock on this seasonal is that its so thin - it gave out so much of its heart in the aroma, leaving it a bit empty inside.