Michigan Brewing Renaissance Brand Spelt Pale Ale

Michigan Brewing Renaissance Brand Spelt Pale Ale
     click to upload

Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 9   MEAN: 3.17/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
JoeM500 (1904) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 29, 2003
Hazy light yellow, nose is sweet grainy malt, but hints of diacytol present (low). Buttery first sip is disappointing, grainy and wheaty, small amount of grassy hops in the finish, but something has gone wrong along the way. (on-tap @ brewery)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrnkMcDermott (2789) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - OCT 9, 2003
Draft, at taphouse. The folks at MBC also tell me it’s an organic grain bill, too. A different taste, not as hoppy as expected (and they certainly are pushing it to have three different pale ales on tap). It's a cloudy yellow in color as expected from a wheat-type beer, and slightly spicy more than bitter, at least to me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cartoonkhaki (1220) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 1, 2003
I was always thinking about brewing a spelt beer and well here it is a SPELT beer. I can taste the spelt just like the bread to me. I'll give them credit for trying something different. Full tasty enjoyable. Anyways this was nice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 13, 2003
Light golden color, light lace. The aroma is grassy, the body sweet malty and spritzy. The sweetness is rather syruppy sweet, kind of like maple syrup sweet without the maple. Light hops in the finish. The one I had was called Spelt Pale. That’s funny, my beer wasn’t moldy. I don’t think I’ve ever had a moldy beer.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - DEC 26, 2002
Moldy Moldy Moldy dog crap. Did I mention this beer was moldy?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
khayman70 (154) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - OCT 31, 2002
Most unique. Several hard to discribe flavors...all good. Nice hops character and nice finish. Still don’t know what the aftertase was but will drink this again and again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
tourette (210) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 31, 2002
This is quite good, and very different. I’ve never had anything quite like it. Extremely smooth, some bitterness and sourness. The aftertaste is very strange, sort of citrusy, but hard to describe. I definately recommend giving this a try.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - AUG 1, 2002
As Hennes mentioned this beer is brewed using spelt which makes describing it difficult. The style os reminiscent of a pale ale. Fairly hoppy, but those malt tones! ... like nothing I have ever tried before. This beer is well worth a try, and I think that it could really grow on me with time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - MAY 29, 2002
They are full out experimeting in Webberville! This one’s malt is entirely Michigan grown Spelt, a wheat like grain pushed delightfully by the 12th century nun, Hildegaard, who was also an early proponent of the hop. The beer is, as one might expect, very different. It’s transcendently sour and citric, really lemony, with an amazingly soft mouth feel.