Midnight Sun Monk’s Mistress (Cabernet)

(RETIRED)
Midnight Sun Monk’s Mistress (Cabernet)
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 51   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
After spending eight months in a cabernet cask, this Belgian-style ale has developed an aroma of chocolate and port, with flavors hinting of wine, raisins and almonds. Clocking in at 9.5% alcohol by volume, this incredibly complex beer is truly unique and will appeal to beer lovers and wine snobs alike.
2005 Release

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
aracauna (3035) - Georgia, USA - JUL 9, 2005
Pours an almost black brown with good clarity around the edges, but completely opaque for the most part. The head is light chocolate-milk foam, a thin layer that fades quickly. Wine is large in the aroma (but a rich, sweet port), under that is chocolate, brown sugar and raisins and toasted nuts with a dark stone fruit sweetness in the end. A slight hint of espresso adds to the complexity. The body is lightly carbonated, but not thin. At first, I thought the wine from the barrel was overdone in this, but as I sipped and the beer warmed, the more it grew on me and I began to pick up on the complexities of the beer itself. This one really grew on me and the score kept rising as I kept sipping (and I only had half of the bottle, so it wasn’t the alcohol talking.)