overall
Brewed at Lervig Aktiebryggeri

Style: Stout
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 2323   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09/5   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Recent batch of this has been brewed by Mikkeller at Nøgne Ø. Has also been brewed at Gourmetbryggeriet, Denmark. From 2013, brewed at Lervig.

English: An oatmeal stout with 25.0% oat-based ingredients and a nice touch of gourmet coffee. A beer that goes extremely well with breakfast.
Ingredients : Water, malt (pils, oat, smoked, caramunich, brown, pale chocolate and chocolate), roasted barley, flaked oats, hops (centennial and cascade), ale yeast and gourmet coffee.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GAManiac (1944) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 29, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 31, 2008 Pours pitch black with a huge three-finger mocha head that nearly comes out of the snifter. Head retention is great and the lacing is exceptional. This is a fine looking stout. Dominant smell is burnt coffee with some sweet roasted malts in the background. I also got a hint of oats and some hops. More oats in the taste than the smell along with the roasted malts, licorice and dark chocolate. The finish is bitter with coffee and a bit of hops. Mouthfeel is creamy, velvety and smooth with moderate carbonation. Great mouthfeel on this one. The heavy coffee bitterness takes away from the drinkability slightly, though I still got through the bottle faster than I probably should have. Overall, not my favorite coffee stout, but a very good brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
chicagodri (1683) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 29, 2008
Very good beer. Pours a dark black with a thin tan head. Very strong coffee smell (awesome!) with just a little bit of chocolate as well. Nice mouthfeel. The coffee flavor comes through very well and it is well balanced. This is a very good beer and I am going to have to get some more.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mikey (503) - farmington, Utah, USA - MAY 28, 2008
Yeah, Dougie and I bonded over a pint. It was apropriate to have Beer Geek Breakfat for a beer geek moment. Poured a surprisingly thick opaque black with a sturdy dark brown cap of foam. It reminds me of my grandmas ebony lacquered piano. The nose was a barista’s dream. Strong roasted coffee with dark chocolate, raspberry and fig. The taste starts rich with bitter espresso and dark bakers chocolate. Next comes a smokiness with a touch of nutty-vanilla bean. Hops are bearly noticeable in the end. The finish is Silky and smooth and it’s roasted richness lingers on the tongue for quite a while. Very little of the 7.5% alcohol is noticeable. Full bodied with moderate to light carbonation. Nicely over-balanced with great drink ability. I haven’t been overly impressed with Danish beers. Mikkeller is quickly changing my attitudes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
douglas88 (8317) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 26, 2008
Bottle drank at the Bayou with mikey. Man the Bayou kicks ass, Mikkeller in Utah! Pours a deep black with shades of brown swirling in it and a nice beige head. The aroma was pure coffee goodness topped with a ton of rich milk chocolate. The taste was similarly dominated by rich coffee and chocolate flavors also with a light toasted malt and just a hint of alcohol. The finish is very sweet. Very nice. I’m fired up that 50 bottles of this made their way to Utah, and that we had two of them.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
msante79 (2224) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - MAY 25, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2008 Bomber. Pours dark brown with beautiful butterscotch head that leaves a nice ring around the top. Aroma is heavy with coffee, oats and a little oco. Flavor is like a mouthfull of black coffee with hints of oats and malt. Good amount of carbonation for a stout. Could use some more hops and this beer ends abruptly and could use some more bitterness at the end. If you like black coffe you will like this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAY 25, 2008
Bomber, aged about a year. Super pitch black pour and nearly opaque. Smaller, light tan foam. Aroma is quite suave, with an intricate blend of coffee and malt goodness. some hints of mocha, vanilla, espresso, etc. Flavor is terrificly balanced and fairly complex, with a really impressive and vibrant blend of coffee elements. Bottle conditioned or left heavily unfiltered, the texture and body is quite nice. Hints of chocolate and roast, with coffee elements of vanilla and mocha, some espresso. It all blends really well together. The bombers brewed at Gourmet Brewery are very tasty, although I’ve heard from a friend that the new 500 mL bottle brewed at Nogne O are not nearly as good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Skeegle (566) - Maryland, USA - MAY 25, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2008 Yes. Wow. When I first started getting into quality beers, they all seemed to have an overwhelming quality of hoppiness and alcohol--me coming straight from coors light to high-class IPAs and Imp Stouts--and this beer has a quality that I haven’t found in many years; I was nearly overwhelmed. There is just so much going on in this beer’s roast complex. Coffee, oats, breadiness, biscuitness, vinous, and dark sweets of choco and cola. Just great. The best thing about this beer is its low abv--at 7.5% I could see myself drinking 6 or 12 of these and not tiring of it; something I can’t say for the higher ranking dark beers I’ve had. Fantastic. Mikkeller is becoming a bit of a must-have brewer for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
zappafan99 (463) - ASCENSION ISLAND - MAY 24, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2008 Wow one of the best recipes and best executions I’ve had. Inviting aroma. Nice clinging lace. Palate with a dry malt taste. Mmm...dark bitter chocolate. 7.5 % is non-existent. Thank god I don’t drink at breakfast . This silky smooth(oatmeal?) aroma is fresh and inviting so is the aroma of this wonderful recipe. wonderful.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
Defreni (2995) - Husum, DENMARK - MAY 24, 2008
Flaske. Flot tyk sort lækker øl. Kraftig duft af humle og brændthed. SMagen er ekstrem brændt der slår over i bitterhed, men på en udmærket måde når man først har vænnet smagsløgene til det. Problemet for det her batch jeg rater her, er at mundfylden er ikke eksisterende, meget vandet. Det trækker op på smagen da tidligere gange jeg har drukket denne øl har den været for brændt. Men det er nu en lidt mystisk oplevelse. Måske er dette bare ikke en øl for mig. Får et par ekstra nationalistiske point, da jeg ikke vil være med til at skubbe en dansk øl udaf top 50.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GarrettB (1428) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 23, 2008
I was extremely pleased to see Mikkeller bringing their Beer Geek Breakfast Stout to my neck of the woods. Everything from their reputation to their stylistic typography and label design favored an outstanding beer experience. And I wasn’t disappointed. Though I didn’t think a beer this would pare well with any breakfast (maybe an ogre’s breakfast) I didn’t have second thoughts about it as a nightcap. The head is a carnivorous ’ribeye cooked to rare’ pink color, with a little light brown ’round the periphery. This head lasts about as long in my glass as perfectly cooked rare prime ribeye would, and thus settles to a light lily pad of brown fuzz. The body is predictably black - deep sea darkness, engulfing both mentally and physically. The pour matches the color with its oily slow-motion free fall into the goblet. Along with the short-lived head, the pour produces a stunning gaseous mix, such that coffee, bourbon, black pepper, potter’s soil, yam, grilled sweet corn and mesquite put my senses under siege in a hazy and confused reverie of flavor. In an act of mercy (though I do enjoy the aromatic punishment - beer masochism?) the flavor is plainer, though no less intense. Coffee astringency is bolder, with more oozing dark chocolate and a heavier starch vegetable flavor base, also making up some of the perceived mouthfeel and body. The beginning of the flavor run has the slightest edge of chocolate sweetness, but the rest is a hurtling through a gradually narrowing tunnel of dark, mostly bitter flavors. I am reeling, desperate to fight my way out of the shroud of heavy flavors, struggling like a fish caught in a net, but find it mostly exhilarating. When I’m done and the glass has returned to its normal empty clarity (though with slivers of dark shadowy liquid here and there) I am relieved and regretful, much as an adventurer would be at the end of a harrowing journey of peril. Also, I still can’t imagine washing down eggs, toast and granola with Mikkeller’s take on chasm-colored beer.