overall
Brewed at Lervig Aktiebryggeri

Style: Imperial Stout
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 1414   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.22   EST. CALORIES: 327   ABV: 10.9%
Formerly brewed by Mikkeller at Nøgne Ø, Norway, now at Lervig, Norway.
This imperial Oatmeal stout is brewed with one of the world’s most expensive coffees, made from droppings of weasel-like civetcats. The fussy Southeast Asian animals only eat the best and ripest coffee berries.Enzymes in their digestive system help to break down the bean. Workers collect the bean-containing droppings for Civet or Weasel Coffee. The exceedingly rare Civet Coffee has a strong taste and an even stronger aroma.
Ingredients : Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Beeronaut (176) - Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND - MAY 23, 2009
Well...Looks great in the glass, aroma onec again is not as pronounced as I would have expected, especially considering it contains the Civet coffee. Doesn’t taste much stronger than the beer geek breakfast alcohol-wise which I find astonishing! I’d say I prefer this style of coffee flavour as it’s more aromatic than acrid as in the BGbreakfast, and I suppose the abv. adds a little more sweetness which balances the coffee bitterness out. Lovely espresso notes, treacle and moscavado sugar, almost burnt sugar. Once again there’s some embers, a minerality that reminds me of wet slate and peat, some background vanilla essence. This beer makes me happy and content like a massive beer-cat. However, is it worth the extra dosh? I think I’d be 95% as happy with the BGbreakfast, this is an excellent special treat and had to be done, and will be done a few more times, but for the extra spend I can’t see it as being justifiably different enough to convert to, but if I had to I would say I prefer it to the BGbreakfast as it suits my palate better. A difficult one. But a flippin’ fantastic beer!

Gorbalev (2912) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 23, 2009
Bottle, Beer Bistro. Oily silky black with a chocolate brown head - looks amazing. Rich sweet aroma with a really nice coffee smell that I have not encountered before (I am not a coffee drinker though). Taste is very rich - tons of alcohol too. Nicely balanced coffee/malt/alcohol and really really silky and easy to drink. Smoother than the less alcohol breakfast. Easily the best coffee Imperial Stout I have ever had - not even Peche gets the coffee integration this right, and also the most complex yet drinkable imperial stout I have ever tried. My second perfect score.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Skeegle (566) - Maryland, USA - MAY 23, 2009
Wow, one of the best beers I’ve ever had, definitely in my top 5. The coffee in this was so lightly roasted and tasted of cherry coke flavored coffee. It was delicious and it was everywhere. Super balanced with a jet black ultra dry roast/malt complex that is harsh and biting, but the light and fruitiness of the other coffee/cherry flavors balances everything out so the beer is just wonderful. If this was sold in sixers I’d sell my liver to get it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bigmmartin (603) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - MAY 20, 2009
This is the first Mikkeller stout I’ve tasted, thanks to 12many. Very dark beer with a small brown head. Has a decent aroma of coffee and malts. The flavor wasn’t all that I had hoped though. It was smooth and balanced but seemed to be slightly lacking. I was also surprised at how thin the body was. I plan on trying this beer again though, maybe I was missing something today.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Habanero (2543) - Tranbjerg, DENMARK - MAY 17, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2012 Bottled. Pours black with medium, brown head. Fair lacings Nose of black coffee, roasted malt and vanilla. Sweet flavour with honey, coffee, vanilla and dark chocolate. Full bodied. oily/creamy texture. Flat carbonation. More dry with some bitterness in the finish. It it’s a very nice brew and it has developed with few years of storage.★★★★★

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Suttree (5118) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAY 17, 2009
UPDATED: MAY 18, 2009 Trade with nqualls - Thanks! Pours black and syrupy, with a dark brown head. Aroma leans haevily toward coffee, as one might expect. Some molky, chocolatey notes in the background, as well as red wine and a few woodsy, earthy notes. Very smooth palate. Huge coffee flavor, supported by chocolate, hickory and earthy, and an odd savory note. Much more chocolatey as it warms, and a little more earthy, as well. Very impressive stuff. 2008 Vintage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Fin (7343) - Merton, Oxfordshire, England, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - MAY 17, 2009
Bottle that was kindly passed onto me from Henrikb, big thanks to Henrik, cheers mate. Shared with dad 16-05-09 Pours black peeling away to dark brown at the edges, with a very brown head. Aroma is roasty, bitter chocolate, big coffee and some vanilla. Taste is quite lovely, molasses, rich spent coffee dregs, good quality dark chocolate all steeped in a good dose of fresh hop juice. Its roasty smooth and half way through this and my glass starts to resemble the blacked out windows of a pimps car. Great stuff! A8 A4 F9 P4 Ov17 4.2

MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - MAY 16, 2009
Bottle purchased at Buckeye Beer Engine in Lakewood. It really is nice to live in Lakewood. This smells like a nice fresh coffee beer, not overly roasted, but still a little fresh. There are some notes of oatmeal and bitter chocolate as well. Flavor is a nice and crisp right off the start. It doesn’t have too much of a coffee taste, but this seems refined and fantastic. It doesn’t come out till the end, but there it is, the coffee dryness. The oatmeal-malt body is rather smooth and lends to a modest sweetness. This is quite impressive, and dear god, if they ever barrel age this sucka....

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GranvilleTim (1467) - Granville, Illinois, USA - MAY 16, 2009
Black beer with dark brown head. Roasted malt, coffee, sweetness.Flavor is creamy, roasted malt, coffee, sweetness, dry finish. Wow. The beer and the foam cling to the glass. This is a great stout. As it warms, the coffees bitterness gets stronger, but in a good way.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TearsforBeers (183) - Ohio, USA - MAY 16, 2009
UPDATED: MAY 18, 2009 Poured at 10am a persistent cat poo black with glorious lasting espresso style foam which clung with claws to the glass. Delicious odours of sweet black roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and soy sauce percolate from the inky black sludge. The flavor matches the aroma, it is sweet, rich, intensely roasted and intensely coffee with a bitter coffee ending. Mouthfeel is thick and slick. Overall, this is good stuff, but would be better without all the sludge in the bottom.