overall
Brewed at Lervig Aktiebryggeri

Style: Imperial Stout
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 1432   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.22   EST. CALORIES: 327   ABV: 10.9%
Formerly brewed by Mikkeller at Nøgne Ø, Norway, now at Lervig, Norway.
This imperial Oatmeal stout is brewed with one of the world’s most expensive coffees, made from droppings of weasel-like civetcats. The fussy Southeast Asian animals only eat the best and ripest coffee berries.Enzymes in their digestive system help to break down the bean. Workers collect the bean-containing droppings for Civet or Weasel Coffee. The exceedingly rare Civet Coffee has a strong taste and an even stronger aroma.
Ingredients : Water, malts, hops, yeast and Vietnamese ca phe chon coffee.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bitbucket (2159) - Kirkland, Washington, USA - MAY 31, 2009
Pours opaque black with a massive brown head. Sweet chocolate and oatmeal aroma. Full, oily body and minimal carbonation. Sweet coffee and chocolate taste with a smoky espresso finish. This one lived up to the billing: a pretty amazing brew.

grandgenie (259) - gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 28, 2009
Commandé avec bieropholie et après une attente de 4 mois j’ai enfin reçu ce petit bijoux. Bouteille de 16,9oz avec une étiquette autour du goulot écris à la main disant ceçi: CO 11126961 et 45-235B-00. Dégusté avec Glandine dans un verre ballon de maudite et dégusté à 4 degré celcius en progression vers une température pièce. Une apparence d’un noire obscure avec une mousse tenace de couleur brune avec un beau collet d’au moin 2 pouces laissant chaque trace sur le verre. Arômes intense et complexe mariant plusieurs subtilités: crême, noisette, vanille, fûmé, chocolat noir, mélasse et de café comme j’ai jamais senti auparavent. Un goût des plus luxueux et équilibré, crémeux avec une bonne amertume. La noisette est dissimulé entre la vanille, le café, la mélasse, le chocolat noir , les truffles et une touche de cerise. La sensation en bouche est indescriptive, du jamais vu !, de la rondeur, du délicat et où es l’alcool ...je la sent sur mes gencives mais elle ne fait pas son pourcentage car je ne la goûte presque pas. Quelle plénitude ! un produit carpe diem.........

DocLock (7871) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 27, 2009
UPDATED: MAY 28, 2009 In the words of Keith Jackson, "Whoa, Nelly, we have a winner on our hands!" The pour here is onyx with no light through and 2-finger brown head that leaves copious lacing. The aroma here is immense; a medley of dark malt, dark choc, coffee, mild hops, nuts, and molasses. The taste is rich, complex, well balanced, with dark malt and chocoff at the forefront, and slight fruit, molasses, nuts, and oaty, earthy peaty notes throughout. Gets a bit more acidic at the end, but this one is to Impy Stouts what a fine Cuban cigar is to a regular maduro. It has similarities to Beer geek breakfast, but smoothed out and a bit more immense throughout. The alcohol in this is amazingly well hidden, and the greatness that is this beer makes me proud to sample just about anything that comes out of a civet’s ass in the future. Get ya some, and do it today, even if you have to go down to the local ASPCA and grab a civet temporarily. Crosby shoots...he scores!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerandBlues2 (9726) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - MAY 27, 2009
Bottle. Pours darker than opaque, black hole like, as it draws light out of the room, with a huge, frothy, dark brown head, mostly lasting and becoming rocky, with excellent lacing. Aroma is heavy malt (coffee, dark chocolate, toasted/roasted grain, molasses), average hop (perfume, flowers, dry grass), average yeast (leather, earth) with notes of prune, date, lightly charred wood, ash, oatmeal, and vanilla. Full bodied, creamy texture, average carbonation, and a bitter finish. Long duration, moderate sweetness, acidity, and bitterness. Wow! What a complete beer, and the coffee is far from overwhelming.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Aubrey (3433) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - MAY 26, 2009
From my beer column in the paper: BOULDER, Colo. — Staring at the inky-black "poo brew" in my globe glass, I hesitate before my first sip. Like dipping toes in a pool to check the temperature, I dip my nose in the glass to take a whiff. It smells fine -- great, in fact. My concerns quickly fade behind an orchestra of wholesome, earthy, peaty and oaty aromas with a heavy overtone of coffee. A lot went into making the beer I’m about to drink. Or, more correctly, I should say it went through a lot. It starts with Robusta coffee berries in Southeast Asia. Once they’re ripe, civets, which are cat-sized weasels, carefully pick and eat the best and ripest berries. The flesh is digested and the beans are partially broken down by special enzymes in the civet’s digestive system. After the civets relieve themselves, farmers harvest the excrement (which looks a lot like PayDay candy bars), rinse off the beans, and then roast them. Supposedly, the civet’s digestive enzymes make the beans less acidic and more flavorful. The result is the most expensive coffee in the world, which goes for as much as $30 per cup -- or $100 to $400 per pound. With that in mind, I summon the courage and take my first sip of Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel, swishing it around in my mouth before swallowing. Its milkshake-like texture is heavy on my tongue. A mild carbonation adds to its velvety feel. The complex coffee flavors and aromas are unique, and they remind me of rich espresso sweetened with sugar and heavy cream, yet without the harsh bitterness. The woodsy malt flavors and aromas are filled with notes of toffee, bread dough, light char and caramel. The grassy hops contain a curious fruity-spicy element and they provide a balanced bitterness, complementing the bitter dark chocolate note in the finish. Meanwhile, warming alcohol soothes the throat. I work my way down the bottle and I notice some curious aromas that I’ve never experienced before in an imperial stout. I detect earth and nuts, but with a slightly pungent humus-like quality, which causes my heart to skip a beat as I wonder what ingredient contributed to that aroma. I reassure myself that it’s just the coffee and it’s safe to drink, especially after all that rinsing, roasting and boiling. Plus, its 10.9-percent alcohol content acts as an additional sterilizer. Taking my final sip of the tasty, luscious elixir, I realize that at least a portion of it is taking its second journey through a digestive tract.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - MAY 25, 2009
Bottle. Black pour with a thin broken dark tan head. Interesting rich coffee aroma that is smooth and isn’t overbearing with the roast component. Some chalkiness and alcohol apparent on the nose as well, but are background to the coffee/dark chocolate notes present. Very rich mouthfeel, a slight burst of alcohol and roast greet, followed by coffee, toasted grain, chocolate, and earthy hops. The Alesmith poop-coffee version was more brash than this with the coffee and hops, and I like it a bit more than that, but this is a damn good brew.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerbill (3422) - Laurel, New York, USA - MAY 24, 2009
16.9 oz bottle courtesy of a trade with GAManiac. Pours black with a large brown head that lasted through the first third of the glass and initially left a thick layer of foam with each sip, eventually fading to a fine film. The aroma is spectacular. Superb fresh coffee in the nose that I could smell before I got my schnoz within a foot of the glass. The flavor is again loaded with fresh, rich coffee with some roasted malt and just a hint of chocolate. Bitter coffee finish. There is some moderate heat from the alcohol at the finish as well. A great way to start the day!

Hophead22 (2880) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - MAY 23, 2009
Bottle from swolf3, thanks Steven. Dark black pour. Aroma of dark fruits and chocolate. Very smooth, lots of chocolate, very nice brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Beeronaut (176) - Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND - MAY 23, 2009
Well...Looks great in the glass, aroma onec again is not as pronounced as I would have expected, especially considering it contains the Civet coffee. Doesn’t taste much stronger than the beer geek breakfast alcohol-wise which I find astonishing! I’d say I prefer this style of coffee flavour as it’s more aromatic than acrid as in the BGbreakfast, and I suppose the abv. adds a little more sweetness which balances the coffee bitterness out. Lovely espresso notes, treacle and moscavado sugar, almost burnt sugar. Once again there’s some embers, a minerality that reminds me of wet slate and peat, some background vanilla essence. This beer makes me happy and content like a massive beer-cat. However, is it worth the extra dosh? I think I’d be 95% as happy with the BGbreakfast, this is an excellent special treat and had to be done, and will be done a few more times, but for the extra spend I can’t see it as being justifiably different enough to convert to, but if I had to I would say I prefer it to the BGbreakfast as it suits my palate better. A difficult one. But a flippin’ fantastic beer!

Gorbalev (2926) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 23, 2009
Bottle, Beer Bistro. Oily silky black with a chocolate brown head - looks amazing. Rich sweet aroma with a really nice coffee smell that I have not encountered before (I am not a coffee drinker though). Taste is very rich - tons of alcohol too. Nicely balanced coffee/malt/alcohol and really really silky and easy to drink. Smoother than the less alcohol breakfast. Easily the best coffee Imperial Stout I have ever had - not even Peche gets the coffee integration this right, and also the most complex yet drinkable imperial stout I have ever tried. My second perfect score.