overall
Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij

Style: Imperial Stout
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 1191   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.96   EST. CALORIES: 393   ABV: 13.1%
FinallyÖÖ! Black Hole is what Mikkeller is all about. Daring, vulgar and extreme. From the very beginning Mikkellers goal has been to push the limit and with this warming, intense imperial stout, a new chapter in the Danish beer history has been written. The high bitterness from the hops and the sweetness from the malt and alcohol, creates a good balance which makes Black Hole an explosion of nuances, but also leaves a feeling of a perfect and complex beer Ė in the heavyweight category.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cbkschubert (2900) - BFE, Arizona, USA - DEC 19, 2007
375 ml bottle via trade with DocLock - Pours a dark brown color with a one and a quarter finger thick tan head. Light lacing. Aroma is quite pleasant. Itís floral, light coffee, and esters and a touch of licorice as it warms. Flavor is roasted malt, coffee, light chocolate, and a hint of dark esters. I generally try not to use the word "complex" when describing beer, but this one fits the description. Palate is oh so slightly dry. A tad bit of bitter lingers on the tongue. There is also a bit of alcohol warming. Takes the chill off! Medium to full body. An excellent beer. Thanks Jeff

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tjthresh (1865) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - DEC 19, 2007
12.7 ounce bottle from MrBendo
Pitch black pour with a dark brown head.
The aroma is mostly coffee, but it seems to be blended with a decent amount of hops. Thereís a bit of a woody note. The roast background in light but noticeable.
Very power full flavors here. Coffee, roast, and some hops. Kind of a vanilla or marshmallow thing going on. Alcoholic finish.
Pretty thin. Dancing carbonation. Dry roasted and alcholic finish.
The flavor is really nice, right up to the point where the alcohol attacks. That, and the thin body are the major turn offs for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
CheersMate (1312) - Fremont (Seattle), Washington, USA - DEC 17, 2007
Nice chocolate head. Very black. The beer looked on the thin side while I was pouring it. The beer is also VERY aromatic. Licorice, wood, coffee, and alcohol are all VERY present in the aroma. I donít think that I have ever smelled a beer like this before. Very pleasing aroma that literally takes a few sniffs to full appreciate the aroma coming off this beer. It takes me nose away. Wow, this beer does not have a great palate. I was expecting something a lot better. I must say this is a huge let down, but the flavor is ridiculous. Oh, I must add that I think I smell berries. That is a little odd, but I donít doubt it due to the fact that some great stouts that I have tried have had this same characteristic. The wood, vanilla, leather, and alcohol flavors are there. The alcohol is very subtle. This is great. I donít get that alcohol burn that takes away from the taste. The wood is just right there along with the coffee. This stout is delicious. A very well-rounded stout in terms of aroma, appearance, and flavor. The ONLY drawback to this beer is that it is too thin. If this were corrected I feel this would be probably one of the 5 stouts out there.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jvittorio4187 (255) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - DEC 15, 2007
Beer #200! Quarked bottle. Pours a thin black with deep brown offset. Head is creamy and brown in color. Chocolate, roast, bitter coffee, and slight carmel on the nose. Taste is sweet up front with a hint similar to cherries. Fades to roast, slight chocolate, then to bitter coffee. Mouthfeel is a little lighter than I would like fo a stout. Finish is of a delayed bitter coffee/citurs flavor. Hops linger very strong. I expected much more from this beer. It is good, just not what I had anticipated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BigBang (299) - Indiana, USA - DEC 15, 2007
This was OK. Seemed very thin for a stout and flavor was unique but not overly pleasing. Bitter, as many others point out, which is not necessarily a negative to me, but for this beer, it is not a positive, in my opinion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
toncatcher (228) - Santee - SAN DIEGO, California, USA - DEC 14, 2007
Bottle thanks to Padrefan98. Pours dark blackisnh with an amber hue. Aroma of roasted malt and bitter coffee. Taste of coffee and some sweet malt. I had this after Older Viscosity and was somewhat disappointed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
TavisKirgg (2) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 14, 2007 does not count
Pours dark brown/black with a nice brown head that kinda just sits thin on top of the beer. Smells like coffee does in an old-folks home, plus marshmallow? Though I donít smell the alchohol I can taste it and feel it in the nose, down my throat, not unpleasant. Tastes of coffee kinda salty and roasted even peppery, not very sweet fairly bitter. Itís a great brew to drink when you thought youíve tasted it all. I will have to age this one for sure. P.S. Yes itís the same rating but the error will be corrected, my mistake

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 14, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2009 375ml corked foiled bottle. Pours muddy, ugly dark brown black with a large foamy cocoa head with fat bubbles. Nice lacing. Strong, unique aroma. Very chalky and roasty. Ashy, coffee, burnt chocolate, smoke. Distinctive marshmallow. Salty meat. A bit of pepper. Not unlike Talisker. Alcohol not present in the aroma except for some slight fumes. I really dig the aroma, at first I was put off by its strength and upfrontness but it is easily one of the most complex imperial stouts Iíve inhaled in my days. Strong, rich flavor. Alcohol makes its presence known not so much in the taste as in the feeling in your chest and soon after your head. Peppery and intense. The taste is not quite as complex as the aroma but its still outstanding and shows a ridiculous amount of potential for aging. Iím glad Iíve got some in the cellar. A world class brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Arayaga2 (1784) - portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 13, 2007
Soy sauce color with very small brown head that fades quickly to nothing. Really not as opaque or black as I had expected. Aroma contains coffee and licorice with a definite hop buzz. Taste is intensely bitter with stinging acid and carbonation. Serious espresso taste with a vinous edge, almost grapefruity notes on finish. Very nice, but not up to the hype, and certainly not worth $20/12.7 oz

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PhillyHomeBrew (176) - Forest Hills, New York, USA - DEC 13, 2007
Very dark body with very little head. There is a ton of nutty, roasted malt aroma along with a lot of spice- mostly anise. There is a lot less alcohol flavor than I expected. There is a lot more burnt caramel, chocolate, coffee, and molasses flavors. The flavor coats the palate and stays for a while.