overall
Brewed at De Proefbrouwerij

Style: Imperial Stout
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 1396   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.96/5   EST. CALORIES: 393   ABV: 13.1%
Finally……! Black Hole is what Mikkeller is all about. Daring, vulgar and extreme. From the very beginning Mikkellers goal has been to push the limit and with this warming, intense imperial stout, a new chapter in the Danish beer history has been written. The high bitterness from the hops and the sweetness from the malt and alcohol, creates a good balance which makes Black Hole an explosion of nuances, but also leaves a feeling of a perfect and complex beer – in the heavyweight category.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Stefano (1965) - Thisted, DENMARK - MAY 8, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 17, 2009 Pours a dark black with a diminishing mocha head. Chocolate, roast, bitter coffee, and slight carmel on the nose. The flavour is bitter sweet with lots of roasted malt and chocolate along with bitter coffee, some smoke, alcohol, hops, dark fruits and liquorice. An excellent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ajm (1072) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 6, 2008
Meh. Sort of too dark for effective tasting. Granted it was my third at the Ueber-Tavern, but my impression is that is very dense like Dark Force only without that last minute coffee zing to bring the taste back from dirt. Somebody even mentioned Dark Force at the bar that night... curious...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2391) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - MAY 4, 2008
Bottle. Aroma hints at the considerable strength you’re about to experience. Pours a black, oily consistency without a lot of head. Mouthfeel is oily as well. Very strong. Prevailing flavor characteristics are molasses, black licorice and soy sauce, although, like a red wine, it improves after awhile after opening. Quite frankly not my favorite. Similar in flavor, albeit at a lower alcohol concentration, to O’so Belgian Dark, which I actually somewhat prefer. Black Hole is an alcohol bomb and the primary culprit to the headache I now feel the day after.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mixinnixon2000 (226) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2008
bottle. poured a dard brown color. strong coffee flavors and malts. it did not blow me away, but it was pretty good. I would have it again.

MrBunn (2736) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 30, 2008
Bottle for rating #700! I’ve been saving this one for a whle now and the anticipation has been killing me. The rubber/plastic cork was almost impossible to get out. Following a lengthy battle I fill my glass with a very dark brown liquid that leaves a bit of a tan head on the surface and smells stongly of anise, even before I come in for a closer sniff. Following a little more complete investigation, I’m going to stick with my first answer. Anise is dominant, but there is a bit of a smoke and coffee feel to it, too. Flavor is unique, but I was expecting it to be a little different. I can say that the flavor keeps on changing for an exceptionally long time... take a sip, wait a couple of minutes, it will still be with you. Here’s some of my thoughts about what I’m picking up: onset is both bitter coffee and dark fruit flavors that then give way to charcoal and smoke flavors and finally head back to coffee. On the second sip, it is getting harder to pick up different flavors... I didn’t know that my palate would go dead that quickly! Anyhow, really nice mix and fairly interesting plot development.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
johans (36) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 30, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2008 My second sampling of black hole. Had bottle #38 from the first 100. This new batch has better carbonation - the first had next to no carbonation. Great coffee aroma. Looks ok, its black!!. Flavor is strong coffee and liqorice. A bit too much black malts for my taste, as it gets somewhat grainy.Initially, the alcoholic finish was warming and very nice, but as the beer got warmer, it became hot and a little solvent-like.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tomthompson89 (1977) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 30, 2008
Great Stout, thick pitch black,beige head nose is uhhm some fruit i think cherry some soy and maybe choc. mouthfeel is THICK and a little oily, nice alcohol flavor, some cherry and choc flavor, very nice interesting beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JoeinDahlem (1454) - Berlin, Berlin, GERMANY - APR 30, 2008
My 37.5 says 13.1% abv, brewed at Proef in Belgium. If a beer like this can be made inside a Belgian brewery, I don’t understand why a few here make so-called imperial stouts that fail to resemble the real thing. Because this is it. Pours a slick, oily black with thin, fading brown head. Nose is full of dark coffee with sugar and cream, and mocha chocolate, but it could be stronger. Tastes reasonably sweet but far short of cloying, with a mild bitterness and drying out a tad at the end. Thin and oily MF. Lingering mocha aftertaste, touch of smoke. Delicious.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - APR 29, 2008
20071025 Small corked bottle. Roasty and mild, a bit on the thin side. Astringent, ashy to finish. Lightly tart and acid. Interesting, it’s leaning toward an imperial dry stout. I like where they’re going with the mouthfeel but otherwise not so exciting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
KnutAlbert (6712) - Oslo, NORWAY - APR 28, 2008
No head, just a thin film. No carbonation. Coffee and liquorice aroma. Chocolate, piney hops, extreme dryness, lika aspoon of cocoal powder. Some sourness in the finish. As far away from a low carb lager you could possibly come.