Mikkeller Drink Your Sorrows Away

Mikkeller
Formerly brewed at De Proefbrouwerij

Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 124   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 11.99%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RasmusOtt (1255) - Aalborg, DENMARK - JUL 19, 2010
UPDATED: JUN 2, 2014 Aroma is Sweet. Some caramel, sugar, raisins and alcohol. Taste is sweet with toffee, caramel, raisins, yeast, a bit of alcohol and some bitternes in the finish. Decent!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Brix (633) - DENMARK - JUN 13, 2010
Tasted 2010-06-13. Dressed up bottle(!) Pours clear, dark red/brown. Aroma of molasses an a bit of hops. Flavours of sugar; Burned sugar, brown sugar, sugar sugar sugar. Not bad, but just not what I needed (or expected).

BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JUN 5, 2010
Bottle @ Festival der Bierkulturen. I should have not wasted my tickets @ the other kiosks in favor of Mikkeller. I feel I made a big mistake by not exhausting their resources, only opting for 2 or three of their brews. I’d take a trip to the brewer and beg their forgiveness if only Denmark wasn’t so freaking expensive to stay...anyone want to put me up for a few nights? Anyhow, I was jumping for joy over 2 things. A damn good IPA, which they surpassed, and a good Belg Ale. This brew seemed more of an expensive novelty, so I feel I can’t go all out on ratings like I could for an everyday runner such as Maudite. But, it’s still really damn good. Nose was typical belgian ale minus the sometimes bottle funk you get. Notes of dark fruits, a bouquet of fresh wild flowers, herbal notes, and a bit of citrus tied into a cloyingly sweetness. Taste was dark fruits like plum, cherry, some apricot, a vanilla hint here and there, and some really good herbs and spices. Well rounded the only problem I had was the alchohol was not masked @ 100% but that’s tough to do I guess when it’s @ 12%. Still, Would love to stock about 50 of these for rainy days and hurricanes for when I return to Florida.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Madsnp (933) - DENMARK - MAR 18, 2010
Bottle. Pours slight hazy deep amber coloured with a nice small creamy light brown lasting head. Vinous aroma with notes of prunes, raisins, chocolate, syrup, caramel and mild spice. Rich and warming flavour with notes of caramel, toffee, dried fruit, yeast and chocolate. I expected nothing more than a burning alcoholic pour, but i must admit this was a great beer..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sfhodense (4790) - Odense NØ, DENMARK - MAR 7, 2010
Pours copper with a beige head. Aroma is sweet caramel, vanilla, light alcohol, light dark fruit and fruity notes. Flavour is caramel, fruit, alcohol, light hop.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thewolf (11259) - Kolding, DENMARK - FEB 20, 2010
Bottle, bought @ Ølbutikken, Cph.
Pours deep brown with a lovely, medium, creamy, off-white head. Aroma begins light metallic, berries, yeast, light caramel, viniousness, raisins, cloves, a hint of chocolate. Medium to low carbonation, lovely creamy mouthfeel. Flavour is very nice, relatively similar to a good Quad (reminds me slightly of La Trappe). Raisins, chocolate, viniousness, caramel, yeasty goodness, slight hint of cranberry tartness. Lovely, lingering bitterness with slight toasted caramel and a bit of fruit. Great!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Zita (4921) - Assentoft, DENMARK - FEB 17, 2010
UPDATED: OCT 30, 2010 black bread,red/brown, clear, white foam, lightly bitter, light sweetness, full body, creamy, lively, bitter. good beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hansen (6885) - Assentoft, DENMARK - FEB 17, 2010
Great aroma. Dark bread, dark fruit, laqurice, pleasent soft yeast. And a tough of alcohol. It’s dark brown and hazy. Has an off-white head, lasting. Flavor starts nice soft sweet, caramel, then bitterness, perhaps a bit too bitter finish. Perhaps I should buy a couple of bottles more to store. Warming alcohol, full body, dry, creamy texture.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jesperhammer (3049) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - FEB 13, 2010
13-FEB-2010, bottle @home. Present from Faurschou when I got sacked last fall. I am not sure if you reseached the "femmes regionales" thing, Faurschou? Well, I did not really have time to drink my sorrows away since I got a new job shortly after:) So I pour this not to drink my sorrows away, but just to enjoy a good beer. - and it is... Huge off-white head head on a brown body with some freddish to it. Beautifull start. Nose is somewhat alcoholic, but not surprisingly so. Very belgian, brown sugar, yeast, citrus and spices. The taste is similar, but also a slightly sour fruity tone. Very nice beer. Thank you, Faurschou!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
chrisv10 (11390) - DENMARK - FEB 7, 2010
37.5 cl bottle. Hazy brown body with off-white head. Flavour is malt, hops, fruit and spices.