Mikkeller X Big Tony 2006/2013

Formerly brewed at Mikkeller
Style: Barley Wine
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 79   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
1/4 of the experimental X series presented by Mikkeller at Københavnske Øldage 2006. X Big Tony is a tribute to Tony - a great guy, a big fan of Mikkeller and a regular at Ølbutikken. This IIIPA is a true mad man!! At alc. 15% vol. and 500+ IBU’s (!!!) it simply doesn’t get any bigger than this....! Cheers Tony :-)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bov (9602) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - OCT 1, 2007
courtesy of fiulijn; best before date: 2050 ! :-) - cloudy brown colour, absolutely no foam; tons of hops, apple, mint and pepper, caramel, alcohol, portwine; very sticky and oily, thick and heavy; very sweet intially; robust malt body, deeply bitter; incredibly long bitter malty finish with a warming alcohol kick - very complex, exhuberant and confusing

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Maria (10169) - Thisted, DENMARK - JUN 15, 2007
Thank you so much Mikkel for letting me get the opportunity to taste this one!! I enjoy it June 2007, but I could have waited until 2050, the bottle says - but I might not be around then LOL The color is beautiful red, dark amber and the aroma is fruity and hoppy with notes of caramel and raisin. The mouthfeel is oily. The flavour has a nice sweetness, notes of caramel, fruity hops, raisin, citrus and I don’t taste the alcohol at all. It’s very harmonic and at the same time it’s expression is delightful and powerful. A great one!! 2327

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Grovlam (4156) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 10, 2007
Bottle. [Huge thanks to Mikkel for letting me try the absolute last bottle of this wonderful Barley Wine]Sometime in early 2006, this fantastic beer was brewed. I would think that the plus one year vintage has caused the heavy hops aroma to subside a bit. That said, there was still evidence in the bouquet of the 500+ IBU in this explosive Barley Wine. Small fizzy white head that mostly diminished. Spar lacing. Clear sparkling body with a amber color. Heavy heavy malt base with toffee, overripe fruit, underling liquorish notes and apricot. In the mouth, notes of grapefruit, elderflower comes into play. Extremely full bodied with a flat carbonation and a heavy sticky and alcoholic texture. But for 15% this goes down quit smooth. Maybe a hint of dryness in there as well. Balancing between heavy sweet caramel and heavy bitter grapefruit, both competing about who will leave the finial impression. Mouth was covered in oily texture as the last sip lives the glass. An incredible lingering sweet and bitter feeling was left in your mouth, throat and mind. Mikkeller I bow my head in humbleness to your brewing expertise.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
chriso (7396) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAY 31, 2007
Draught at Kobenhavnske Oldage, May 2006. I’m usually a big fan of Mikkeller beers, but not this one. Undeniably there are bags of hops here but it is very sweet and the alcohol is far too intrusive - burning and boozy. The overall impression is rather harsh and crude. Blimey, I’m sounding like SilkTork. Anyway, not really my scene at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - MAR 25, 2007
500 mL bottle, brought back from Denmark. Looking back at the reviews, this beer seems to be approaching 1 year of age. Murky orange color, with no head. Fairly explosive nose, dominated by hops and fruits. I’m guessing the hops have faded quite a bit. That being said, their still huge. What is present is an absolutely lovely and extremely concentrated flavor of golden raisins, big hops, sweet & wild fruits and dried apricots. Sticky mouthfeel, with an enduring finish. I don’t detect any hints of alcohol (but like I’ve said before, I am extremely fortunate, in that I hardly ever taste alcohol flavor in beer.) To me, this is the perfect sipper and I really like this beer. Thanks, Jeppe.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Enjoyit (3470) - Vadum, DENMARK - MAR 19, 2007
Amber of color, almost no head. An aroma with hops, apples and lot of sweets. A thick flavor with sweets, hops and oak.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
beeranarchist (211) - Aalborg, DENMARK - MAR 11, 2007
Bottle. Wow, though I expected an extreme beer, it still surprised me. aroma is dominated by alcohol, hops, hops, hops, candy and hops. Very thick and sticky mouthfeel, sweet and bitter (however not overwhelming). This is more a liqueur than a beer. Mikkellers counterpart to malt liquor; hop liquor!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
faroeviking (10289) - FAROE ISLANDS - JAN 18, 2007
Draught. Hazy dark amber colour. Very sweet, hoppy, fruity and citric aroma. Flavour is very sticky siruppy sweet and fruity, extremely hoppy, citrus, some bubblegum, alcoholic. Too much but a good extreme brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
tiggmtl (4548) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 31, 2006
Honey, tannins and cookie dough in the sweet aroma. Muddy brown body with very little, rapidly and fully diminishing head. Very strong bitterness overshadows any malt character. Alcohol is prominent. Light medium body is somewhat watery in texture especially due to very low carbonation. Strong warming. Unfortunate that this one didn’t work out for me as I really had high hopes. Bottle sampled with CapFlu and Oakes.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
MPA (821) - Amager (form. Nørrebro&Aalborg), DENMARK - DEC 4, 2006
Bottle. Orange/maber with shortlived off white head. Super sweet aroma with hops - Nectar that makes my foreskin wrinkle! Aaarghh! Hoppy malt liquor that makes my uvula tap dance! Why does Mikkeller so often do that to me? Bastards!