Mikkeller X Vesterbronx Kriek 2007

overall
Formerly brewed at Mikkeller
Style: Lambic Style - Fruit
Copenhagen, Denmark

RATINGS: 38   MEAN: 3.87/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
X-periment at the Copenhagen Beer Festival 2007. The first true danish krieken lambic, fermented with yeast from the clean, fresh Copenhagen V air, sweetened with sweet danish cherries.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lachesis (757) - St Idesbald, BELGIUM - MAY 14, 2007
On draught @ Københavnske Øldage. Intens Crimson red with lots of deep red reflextions and with the pinkest and most creamy froth on top. Aroma is the summum of fresh fruit sensations. Not only kriek but a variation of all kind of ripe and fresh red berries and stonefruits. Slight hint of mint leaf, cherrie pit, green sour apple, come citrus, sour Greek Yoghurt and brett-yeast. Taste is clean and pure. Again fresh red berries are taking the overhand on you tastebuts. The fruit works so well with the elegant caracter and the medium body of the beer. Not the sourest of krieks but IMO the cleanest and most pure tasting kriek nectar ever tasted. I thing I had a least 5 or 6 samples of it during the festival, I was always falling back on this on to reset my tastebuts. The result stand far from what we know here in Belgium, this Mikkeller version is worth to be called a style on its own. It is so clean, fruity, elegant sour, refreshing and HAPPY. Sunshine in a glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
MesandSim (7118) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAY 16, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 20, 2007 A Mes rate: Draught at Ølfestival 2007. I dont usually bother saving special beers for milestones as I don’t really care for numbers but once I realised our 1500 was on the way up I saved this one as a homage to our Beer Geek and Vesty Kriek extravaganza. Ok, rate out of the way first... Appearance is an easy 5 for me. Easily the best and purest cherry colour I have seen from a beer with a perfect pink foam topping. Nose is delicate but stunning with a lovely sourness and pithy cherries and a whole load of other small fruit. Flavour is typically sublime from this masterclass brewer. Sweet and sour balances out just perfectly well. Its like a sucker punch the way it swells on the palate. I was expecting more at first but it just builds and builds. The sourness is not as pronounced as some but the flavour is god like. This is the magic elixir. Trust me I know, I finished the barrel. Oops, did I just say that? Anyway, the only thing I would say could be improved was the body. Would love to know what this would be like bottled. An unbelievable first attempt at spontaneous fermentation. I sampled this alongside Oud Beersel kriek and it held up so well against what is one of my all time favourite beers. Praise indeed if you ask me. It’s proper stuff, a stupendous beer. Along with Beer Geek this will always be special to us, for the very same reason. Guys I’m sorry. I did finish it off. You did let me behind the bar to pour my own... what do you expect. Actually I ended up just sat on the keg with the pipe going straight into my glass. You may as well have hooked me up intravenously! I owe you bigtime for such a great night. My god I can rattle on...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
yousee (48) - BELGIUM - MAY 19, 2007
On draught at Copenhague beer festival 2007. Pours a red kriek beer with a beautifull pink head. Looks like spontanous fermentation can be done about anywhere. Fruity, cherry and slight sour aromas with earthy notes. Flavours of horseblanket, brettanomyces, cherries again, slight sour, some wood acents. Nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JorisPPattyn (8032) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - JUN 3, 2007
Beautiful ruby to cyclamen red with very short-lived, bright pink-cyclamen head; CO² bubbles splatting out of the liquid. Beautifully rich, very wine-y thick cherries nose. Velours is the only word the aroma draws, and it reminds me, because of the colour too, of a Baroque painting of a sumptuously dressed lady. Wry, tart, very fruity flavour, ending a bit short, and leaving a bit medicinal taste behind; lemony, and maybe speculoos biscuits flavour - without the sweetness, any fruit sugars all gone. In the throat again very vineous. Near puckeringly sourish, with full dry-out effect. Fully fruit-bodied, slick. This is a great Kriek, sorry, Kers. There’s not the slightest doubt about quality or quantity of the fruit. Its flavours are great. But I have a bone of contention with it. WHY is it presented as a "lambic"? Has extraneous lambic been blended in? Probably not. It is a beautiful fruitbeer - and it ought to be satisfied at that. It does not need a tag which it cannot make true. Many thanks to Mikkel and Jeppe for bringing me this!

caesar (5321) - Bunnik/Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - MAY 12, 2007
Tap, Olfestival. Free sample straight from the keg, thx! Clear pink/reddish color, medium creamy pink head. Aroma of sour cherry, very fruity, but still soft. Slight sour taste, slight sweet, but still soft and creamy. Very fruity. Not jaw-breaking sour like a Cantillon, but very nice balanced clean fruityness. Would buy this stuff immediately.

Thure (152) - DENMARK - MAY 13, 2007
Tap @ Copenhagen Beer Festival. Candy Ruby colour with a compact pink head. Very clear sour cherry aroma. Fresh acidic and cherry taste with a lingering aftertaste. Nice palate clenser.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Theis (13780) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 16, 2007
Draught at Københavnske Øldage 2007. Deep red - pink head (Very nice looking Kriek). Cherry, cherry, smooth, juicy. The bittherness / sourness appeares in the finish as a throat-feeling. Light sweetness. Big mouthfeeling.

yespr (32032) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - MAY 30, 2007
CBF07 sample from tap. Pours totally red and with a nice red head. Aroma is sour and cherries. Flavour cherries and wow this is sour and bitter. No sweetness. Very very refrshing and cleansing.

yngwie (14146) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - JUN 22, 2007
Draught at Københavnske Øldage. Clear, red body with a pink head. Cherries, almonds, marzipan and sourness in the aroma. The flavor is cherry dominated, sour, citric, a little almondy and with even more cherries. Dryish, dusty, astringent mouthfeel. Long cherry finish with a lot of sourness. I kind of miss the barnyard and horse-blanket aromas, but I guess there ain’t many farms and horses on Vesterbro;-) Lovely beer! (070511)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Bugrat (60) - Cph. V, DENMARK - MAY 14, 2007
This is the big boys (and girls) best red nectar. It seems that it is not only in payottenland there is magic in the air.