Mill Street Hemp Ale

overall
Formerly brewed at Mill St. Brewery
Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Toronto, Canada

RATINGS: 10   MEAN: 2.99/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.96   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
BEEJE26 (38) - Ontario, CANADA - OCT 29, 2007
I really donít know what to make of it. On of those spur of the moment beers. A bit of a potent flavour. I would say a cacao or a clove nose. Not that great, but Iíve had worse.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
threesheets (11) - Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA - APR 6, 2005
Well. Iím not a fan of hemp beer. I think it is an abomination of the true nature of beer. Mill Street does everything well though, including brrewing this hemp beer. It was a decent hemp (for hemp beer).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 20, 2004
As far as I know, this is only available on tap at the Distillery area where the brewery is located. Itís alright as an opportunity for Mill Street to expand their repertoire, but itís not my favourite. Kind of nutty and earthy, with a nice dark colour that belies its relatively mild taste. Alright as a genre exercise, but theyíd be better off sticking to their other beers.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - OCT 8, 2004
On tap at Pure Spirits across from the brewery in Toronto. Dark brown, smallish head; light, toasty caramel nose; bitter herbs and dried fruit on the tongue, a bit of cola character...thin, very dry finish; pretty dull I thought.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gorbalev (2950) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 10, 2004
Again, just catching up my ratings here. I tried this at the outdoor jazz festival last year in the distillery district and it was my favourite beer of the night, which surprised me because the few hemp ales I have had so far in my life have been gimmicky and not very good. This one poured a deep brown with a floral nose of some sort (I could say hemp, but I was probably just looking for it). The word earthy has been used in previous ratings and that is fair – there really isn’t any hop bite here, but there is a very drinkable medium bodied ale. I found it well balanced which surprised me. Very good, I wonder if it has changed at all in the past year.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 9, 2003
clear brown, off white head. sweetr malt and whole wheat toast aroma. flavour follows with the toastiness and finishes dry and earthy. not bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 6, 2003
Clear brown w/ ruby hue. Beige head. Mild toasty aroma of honey & hemp. Light, carbonated feel. Slightly nutty, lightly toasted flavour w/ mineral & honey notes. Rounds off w/ some earthiness & a light spiciness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Oakes (12788) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 20, 2003
Toasty aroma with some metallic hop notes, soap, crackers. Chestnut brown colour with no head. Light to medium body. Carbonation is low but insistent. Palate is woody, toasty with some light chocolate notes that contribute to an overall earthiness. Sweetish, crackerlike, slightly nutty, slightly oily finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
GregClow (2910) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 27, 2003
I was at Pure Spirits, the pretentious restaurant and bar across from the Mill Street brewery, and I ordered a pint of their Tankhouse Pale Ale. I received something that looked like the Pale Ale, and smelled sort of like the Pale Ale, but it definately didn't taste like the Pale Ale. It wasn't bad by any means, it just didn't have the same hop bite, but instead had a more prominent sweet and earthy flavour, with subdued hops in the dry finish. Before I had a chance to question my server about it, I overheard another waitress listing the beers for someone, and a new Hemp beer was mentioned. I ran into one of the Mill Street guys outside after lunch, and he confirmed that what I had sounded like the Hemp beer. So that's what I'm guessing I had. Either that, or the Tankhouse Pale Ale was REALLY off that day...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 27, 2003
Slight malt nose, amber with a small head. Sour/sweet flavour, more like caraway seeds. Really full bodied, dry after taste. Quite good!