overall

RATINGS: 214   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
The name Schild Brau means essentially 'Shield beer' in German. This is our Flagship brew, a Microbrew done in the style of the special beers of Munich. This beer is brewed in the style of a Vienna style lager. This style was first developed by Anton Dreher in Vienna in 1841. He used a new type of sweet caramelized malt that gave the beer a wonderful reddish, coppery color and a juicy malt character. Word soon spread to Germany where this style of beer became immensely popular, and stronger versions called Marzen or Oktoberfest were soon made. Our beer uses these same malts to attain a perfect balance between malty sweetness and a firm bitterness. Our Hallertau hops are imported from Germany give it subtle spicy flavor. The repeated awards that we have received for this beer only confirm why many people consider this beer to be synonymous with Millstream Brewing at its best.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - NOV 21, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2003 Pleasant clean aroma. Nice 'Fest color. Pleasant nutty malt flavor. I can drink this and not complain. Prosit!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heemer77 (5096) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 10, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 30, 2005 Good thing I live close to the Amana Colonies. Has an aroma of walnuts and some muted apples. The taste is light with a little bit of bread and caramel. Has a cheesy aftertaste on tap. Lively carbonation in the mouth. Smooth and has little head when ordered on tap. In the bottle, I find the taste to be more subtle and refined. Nice beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - SEP 16, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2005 First time I ever tried this beer was one week after the brewery opened back in the mid-1980s. I loved it then but after we moved away, I didn’t see it again for 18 years. Fortunately, a local retailer where we live now began carrying Millstream brew. Pours a medium amber with initially sizable off-white head. Moderate malty aroma. Taste is full-on malt; one of the maltiest lagers I’ve encountered. More depth than I expected.. It has become a regular in my fridge.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Libeerian (209) - Garner, North Carolina, USA - MAR 9, 2003
Had a nice amber color and a good head but the aroma and flavor had strong diacetyl (butter) character which hurt overall quality.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - DEC 2, 2002
Re-Rate 12/02/02: Translucent deep copper color on the pour, the head minimal, the lace sparse. The nose is malt, sweet; hints of caramel of maple syrup more like it. Front is malt; the top skeletally thin, the finish is weak and waterish, middling carbonation, minimal hops not much of a beer actually.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerguy101 (5274) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 16, 2002
Deep red color, medium head. A full-bodied amber. Intense malt flavor, sweet and very robust. Not very hoppy. Good balance. Nice flavor. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and very smooth. Aftertaste is malty and slightly sweet. Very nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
legion242 (2142) - Richardson, Texas, USA - SEP 10, 2002
Garnet color. Head was thin. Nose of brown sugar. Bready for a lager. Nice mouthfeel. Tons of malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kmeves (1098) - Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 24, 2002
From the land of "Hate and Ham" comes a pretty decent brew. Flavor has a nice maltiness to it. Not much head although there is a decent amount of carbonation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
JFGrind (1833) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 16, 2002
After pouring the beer the yeasty aroma told me I was in for a treat. The beer had the malt flavor I enjoy and reminded me of a euro Oktoberfest. By far the best thing I’ve ever experienced to come out of Iowa.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - AUG 3, 2002
This brew pours from the bottle a clear ruddy copper. The average creamy off-white head is mostly diminishing with decent lacing. The aroma is mostly molassess malt and earthy yeast, some hints of perfumed hops are also present. Flavor starts and finishes fruity and sweet. The light to medium creamy body is soft with a slight chalky/dry feel to the finish. Nice.