RATINGS: 221   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
The name Schild Brau means essentially 'Shield beer' in German. This is our Flagship brew, a Microbrew done in the style of the special beers of Munich. This beer is brewed in the style of a Vienna style lager. This style was first developed by Anton Dreher in Vienna in 1841. He used a new type of sweet caramelized malt that gave the beer a wonderful reddish, coppery color and a juicy malt character. Word soon spread to Germany where this style of beer became immensely popular, and stronger versions called Marzen or Oktoberfest were soon made. Our beer uses these same malts to attain a perfect balance between malty sweetness and a firm bitterness. Our Hallertau hops are imported from Germany give it subtle spicy flavor. The repeated awards that we have received for this beer only confirm why many people consider this beer to be synonymous with Millstream Brewing at its best.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2003
Orange-copper, puffy white head. Nose bready, bit adjuncty. Harsh, caramel, hoppy, off.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bbrock81 (312) - Le Mars, Iowa, USA - DEC 18, 2003
This is one of the best beers I've had, a very pleasing surprise. The aroma is nice and malty, just the way I like it. The color is a beautiful dark orange-amber. The flavor is deliciously malty, a little sweet, with just a hint of hop presence. I don't know what some of the other people are talking about when they say it has a thin mouthfeel, as this was the creamiest, smoothest bottled beer I've ever had. Absolutely delightful, and I'll definitely keep some of this around.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 13, 2003
Not a bad beer, for a bottled beer. It woulld probably rate higher had I not just come from Onopa Brewery and sampled some incredible beers, but this is still good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jzzbassman (1525) - Arlington, Texas, USA - DEC 8, 2003
This was a bit of a surprise for me, in that I didn't expect to like a lager this much. Aroma of fresh bread, and I would have scored it higher if the mouth feel wasn't so thin. It made you wish for more lingering on the flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jimhilt (2478) - Bow, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 7, 2003
Pours a two-fingered white head that goes slowly and leaves a little lace. Clear amber color. Moderate carbonation. Starts with a good mix of malt and hops, finishes clean but slightly on the sweet side but there are metallic hints. Light - medium bodied.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrnkMcDermott (2922) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - NOV 28, 2003
Bottled. Okay, call me prejudiced because I’m from Iowa, which doesn’t have a major brewing scene, but this is one of the best “ambers” I‘ve had. Has a nice malty smell and pours a thick brownish head over an excellent coppery, bubbly body. There's a big caramel and brown sugar maltiness, with the right balance of German hops to keep it from getting too cloying. Won a Bronze at GABF, where it competed as a Vienna, and at the North American Brewers Association where it competed as a Mârzen. Go figure. Just a short detour off I-80 at the Colonies.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - NOV 24, 2003
eh, it looked good. Amber color white head. Flavour had some malt character and hints of caramel but overall it seemed watered down. Nothing really distincitve impressed me about this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - NOV 21, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2003 Pleasant clean aroma. Nice 'Fest color. Pleasant nutty malt flavor. I can drink this and not complain. Prosit!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heemer77 (5196) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 10, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 30, 2005 Good thing I live close to the Amana Colonies. Has an aroma of walnuts and some muted apples. The taste is light with a little bit of bread and caramel. Has a cheesy aftertaste on tap. Lively carbonation in the mouth. Smooth and has little head when ordered on tap. In the bottle, I find the taste to be more subtle and refined. Nice beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - SEP 16, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2005 First time I ever tried this beer was one week after the brewery opened back in the mid-1980s. I loved it then but after we moved away, I didn’t see it again for 18 years. Fortunately, a local retailer where we live now began carrying Millstream brew. Pours a medium amber with initially sizable off-white head. Moderate malty aroma. Taste is full-on malt; one of the maltiest lagers I’ve encountered. More depth than I expected.. It has become a regular in my fridge.