RATINGS: 222   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.15/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
The name Schild Brau means essentially 'Shield beer' in German. This is our Flagship brew, a Microbrew done in the style of the special beers of Munich. This beer is brewed in the style of a Vienna style lager. This style was first developed by Anton Dreher in Vienna in 1841. He used a new type of sweet caramelized malt that gave the beer a wonderful reddish, coppery color and a juicy malt character. Word soon spread to Germany where this style of beer became immensely popular, and stronger versions called Marzen or Oktoberfest were soon made. Our beer uses these same malts to attain a perfect balance between malty sweetness and a firm bitterness. Our Hallertau hops are imported from Germany give it subtle spicy flavor. The repeated awards that we have received for this beer only confirm why many people consider this beer to be synonymous with Millstream Brewing at its best.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
PattyBoy (302) - North Liberty, Iowa, USA - JUL 10, 2006
On tap. Poured a dark amber. Flavor is sweet malt, some roasts. Nothing that really makes it stand out, but it goes good with some sauerbraten.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BrianHagmeier (299) - Coralville, Iowa, USA - NOV 15, 2007
UPDATED: APR 8, 2010 Re-rate: Perfection! love the changes in the beer in the past couple of years. Itís just getting better and better. I feel lucky to have this brewery so close to home! Beautiful red pour with a medium head and lacing. Nice malt and grain aroma. Very sweet malt flavor with a hearty body that ends a little bitter sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Gmku (296) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - APR 10, 2005
It was baking hot in the square when we came out after lunch with our bags and the rod-case to go to Burguete. People were on top of the bus, and others were climbing up a ladder. Bill went up and Robert sat beside Bill to save a place for me, and I went back in the hotel to get a couple of bottles of wine with us. When I came out the bus was crowded. Men and women were sitting on all the baggage and boxes on top, and the women all had their fans going in the sun. It certainly was hot. Robert climbed down and I fitted into the place he had saved on the one wooden seat that ran across the top.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Davinci (295) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 29, 2008
nice caramally amber color with good head. Nose is rye bread some caramel sweetness. Flavor is roasty sweetness, some spicey grain, and a hair of tart fruit. Body is medium to light. finishes medium dry with some sweetness and grassy hop character. Enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerZack (288) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - MAY 4, 2008
Dark copper color with minimal head. Sweet caramel, marzipan, some toffee, fig, hint of spice (nutmeg). Pleasantly surprising flavor, much more subdued sweetness than the nose shows. Some mild caramel sweetness balanced by some dry roasted barley notes and just enough hop bitterness to almost cleanse the palate. Medium-heavy carbonation, a bit stinging, medium body. Pretty drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - SEP 16, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2005 First time I ever tried this beer was one week after the brewery opened back in the mid-1980s. I loved it then but after we moved away, I didnít see it again for 18 years. Fortunately, a local retailer where we live now began carrying Millstream brew. Pours a medium amber with initially sizable off-white head. Moderate malty aroma. Taste is full-on malt; one of the maltiest lagers Iíve encountered. More depth than I expected.. It has become a regular in my fridge.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Majin (256) - West Des Moines, Iowa, USA - MAR 2, 2013
Bottle, weird graphic of some mill house on the bottle and hops?? Amber color, not much head. Sweet smell , bittersweet taste. Weird all in all ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
iamqueensblvd (247) - , Iowa, USA - APR 19, 2009
Dark amber colored pour. Little bit of bite to this one. Seemed to have some carbonation to it as i drank it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - MAR 25, 2005
Boy do I love this beer. Because I support locals? Maybe...but still, this has a fine malty aroma, satisfyingly deep amber-bronze color and nice carbonation--too many ambers taste flat to me. This also has an engaging sweet maltiness nicely balanced by subtle hops and just a hint of creamy buttery mellow...ok, Iím getting a little too exuberant about this. Iíll summarize: a very satisfying everyday beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
DJC (238) - USA - DEC 7, 2006
Beautiful, rich amber color -- too bad there wasnít much of a head to go with it. Aroma is nice, but I wish there was more of that, too. Semi-sweet malty aroma. Flavor is nicely balanced -- malts are noticed first, then a gentle hop bitterness in the finish. Good carbonation, yet a little on the watery side. Very drinkable. I think this is one of Millstreamís better offerings.