overall

RATINGS: 217   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
The name Schild Brau means essentially 'Shield beer' in German. This is our Flagship brew, a Microbrew done in the style of the special beers of Munich. This beer is brewed in the style of a Vienna style lager. This style was first developed by Anton Dreher in Vienna in 1841. He used a new type of sweet caramelized malt that gave the beer a wonderful reddish, coppery color and a juicy malt character. Word soon spread to Germany where this style of beer became immensely popular, and stronger versions called Marzen or Oktoberfest were soon made. Our beer uses these same malts to attain a perfect balance between malty sweetness and a firm bitterness. Our Hallertau hops are imported from Germany give it subtle spicy flavor. The repeated awards that we have received for this beer only confirm why many people consider this beer to be synonymous with Millstream Brewing at its best.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerguy101 (5287) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 16, 2002
Deep red color, medium head. A full-bodied amber. Intense malt flavor, sweet and very robust. Not very hoppy. Good balance. Nice flavor. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and very smooth. Aftertaste is malty and slightly sweet. Very nice beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Got Stout? (173) - Wisconsin, USA - MAY 13, 2001
An excellent brew! It is just so enjoyable to drink, a milestone in casual beers. Very smooth, and a wonderful mix of malt and hops, but nothing to bold or extreme

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bbrock81 (305) - Le Mars, Iowa, USA - DEC 18, 2003
This is one of the best beers I've had, a very pleasing surprise. The aroma is nice and malty, just the way I like it. The color is a beautiful dark orange-amber. The flavor is deliciously malty, a little sweet, with just a hint of hop presence. I don't know what some of the other people are talking about when they say it has a thin mouthfeel, as this was the creamiest, smoothest bottled beer I've ever had. Absolutely delightful, and I'll definitely keep some of this around.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rings (54) - Michigan, USA - FEB 14, 2011
Millstream’s flagship Schild Brau Amber is a Vienna style lager. Deep copper in color, it pours lovely with a full head that sticks to the glass as you sip. The initial sip is malty and sweet (for a lager), with a gentle rolling bite of bittering hops. With another swirl of the glass and a sample sip or two, there’s a spicy herbal aroma at the nose--I suspect dry-hopping--that opens up a small dinner party in your mouth ...not the Animal House type, but the cocktails and good conversation type of party. The layers are complex and interesting. Very clean, well balanced with an excellent body for two-row malt. Quite simply, this is outstanding. Serving type: bottle

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
krisolson (57) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - SEP 9, 2012
Really malty flavor. Real thick feel when drinking it. Great flavor, one of my favorite beers. Really easy to drink, no aftertaste, and has great flavor. GOOD BEER.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
skoll (420) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - SEP 23, 2012
An amber beer with a thin beige head. The aroma has primary notes of caramel. The flavor is sweet with notes of malt and caramel as well as lighter notes of wheat bread, alcohol, and bread - reminds me of a bock. love the maltyness of this brew

JJClark (551) - Roscoe, Illinois, USA - FEB 3, 2008
Botlle. Pours a dark amber color with a medium off white head. Aroma of malt and nuts. Taste is Intense malt, sweet and robust. Light hop flavor. Finish is clean, very smooth and slightly sweet. Very easy to drink beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - SEP 16, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2005 First time I ever tried this beer was one week after the brewery opened back in the mid-1980s. I loved it then but after we moved away, I didn’t see it again for 18 years. Fortunately, a local retailer where we live now began carrying Millstream brew. Pours a medium amber with initially sizable off-white head. Moderate malty aroma. Taste is full-on malt; one of the maltiest lagers I’ve encountered. More depth than I expected.. It has become a regular in my fridge.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrnkMcDermott (2821) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - NOV 28, 2003
Bottled. Okay, call me prejudiced because I’m from Iowa, which doesn’t have a major brewing scene, but this is one of the best “ambers” I‘ve had. Has a nice malty smell and pours a thick brownish head over an excellent coppery, bubbly body. There's a big caramel and brown sugar maltiness, with the right balance of German hops to keep it from getting too cloying. Won a Bronze at GABF, where it competed as a Vienna, and at the North American Brewers Association where it competed as a Mârzen. Go figure. Just a short detour off I-80 at the Colonies.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - APR 11, 2005
Very tasty Marzen. Caramel/malt flavor that makes this a very drinkable beer. 2nd Iowa beer and I like this one better than the first. I will definitely be looking for more beers from the Millstream line.