overall

RATINGS: 23   MEAN: 3.14/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 279   ABV: 9.3%
Originating in England in the 19th century, Barley Wine is a strong style of ale. Our Smokehouse Barley Wine has a rich toasted malt character with a smooth and warming effect when drank. The big malt character is counterbalanced with the addition of a nice hop bitterness. It has a smoky brown color to it. With a mellow cherry wood smoked aroma and flavor, this is a beer to enjoy in the cold months to come.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
nuplastikk (5090) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 18, 2012
12oz bottle. Cherry brown, unfiltered body. Thin, steady off-white head. Smoky sweet peat aroma. I was really quite scared when I read the two previous ratings, but actually this is quite tasty, an interesting merge of a big excessively smoked Scottish Ale and a Barleywine. There is something meaty about this one, sticky sweet charred BBQ tones. Drinkable for the ABV, clean enough. Unique, well worth a try if you enjoy smoke beers or barleywines.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 1/20
MacBoost (1539) - Pouring Bus, New York, USA - NOV 17, 2012
12oz bottle courtsey of PEPSIEDCAN and the great state of IOWA. Pours a cloudy amber with a generous sized head which eventually fades into a ring but still hangs around. Jesus, the nose on this beer is amazing... A dew filled morning after a night of camping... The ashes still smoldering, a few beer cans strewn about. Roasted hot dogs and sunshine... Hangovers and raccoon shit. Honestly, I have high hopes for this beer. First sip... OH MY GOD IS THIS FUCKING TERRIBLE. Way, way overdone on the artificial liquid smoke. Fuck, this beer is like just straight chugging liquid smoke. So fake, so chemical tasting, so repulsive. There is no way in hell I can finish this 12oz bottle, and I can chug some nasty shit, believe me. Holy Hell, this is the worst Barleywine I’ve ever had. Do. Not. Buy.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
DietPepsican (1532) - @ $13.99, Iowa, USA - NOV 13, 2012
Ruby red pour with a nice sized off white head. Beautiful pour! Aroma of smoked leather shoes, sticky malt, and a bit of earthy funk. Possible ammonia. My nose burns. Sticky sweet malt underneath all that smoke.. Definitely not my thing.