overall

RATINGS: 481   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.28   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Carefully ice brewed from the finest malted barley, selected cereal grains and choicest hops. Contains no additives or preservatives.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
luttonm (2427) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 30, 2013
24oz can in Seattle. Continuing my lowbrow ratings on my trip home. Lightest yellow-gold, ugly white foam. Light corny grain aroma, smooth creamy lactic grain. Could be worse? most alike the cheap euro lagers of the beers in the States I’ve come across.

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
metalhead0043 (144) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - DEC 13, 2013
24 oz my friend left behind last weekend. This is the worst of the worst. Cheap beer that tastes like corn syrup and malts that were scraped off the floor. Terribly sour. I’m not one to generally bash macro brews but this one is just inexcusably bad. Even for free I’m having to choke this one down.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
JHeath99 (1117) - Warner Robins, Georgia, USA - NOV 19, 2013
Can. Pours sickly gold with no head. Aroma of cheap malts. Pretty much similar in taste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Chad9976 (1247) - Albany, New York, USA - NOV 15, 2013
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2014 I poured a 24oz can into a large mug. It had a best before date of 4/14/14 and cost $1.16 ($0.05 per ounce).

Appearance: Bright gold hue, crystal clear body with plenty of effervescence present. Pours to a large, bright white, foamy/soapy head which doesn’t completely dissipate and even leaves some lacing.

Smell: Pretty generic as far as adjunct macro lagers go. More neutral than abrasive. Maybe a hint of sweetness.

Taste: American adjunct macro lagers don’t exactly have the best reputation among the craft beer community. That’s understandable, though I often find beers of the style to often be merely mediocre rather than the undrinkable swill the zeitgeist would have us believe. Milwaukee’s Best Ice is a perfect example since it’s not so much bad-tasting as it is neutral-tasting. In fact, I can find a touch of sweetness in it. This is probably the best bad beer I’ve ever had.

I go into beers like this hoping I can at least tolerate enough of it to get out a review. Often times they have classic brewing flaws of acetaldehyde, dimethyl sulfide and /or diacetyl. "Beast Ice" actually doesn’t have any of these things (not that I can tell anyway), though it does have the "generic adjunct lager" taste to it. Milled corn grits are present for sure, though they impart a surprisingly sweet, almost cereal-like taste to the beer. There’s a distinct presence of raw grain, akin to that often found in a Dortmunder. The hops are virtually non-existent, though I can’t say that’s a surprise. Even as it warmed, I was genuinely impressed by how more-than-tolerable the beer was. I don’t think I could honestly give this a positive review because there’s just enough to genuinely enjoy. Still, it’s definitely above average for a cheap fizzy yellow lager.

Drinkability: If Milwaukee’s Best Ice is the type of beer you drink for its "performance value" rather than its taste, then I’d say mission accomplished. Though 5.9% ABV is not all that strong, at least coming from a craft beer drinker’s perspective, at only FIVE CENTS per ounce you most certainly get your money’s worth. Plus it’s not abrasively fizzy; it goes down smooth and finishes almost completely clean. Nice.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
dlbeer (841) - Wisconsin, USA - OCT 27, 2013
Can. Smells of malt and alcohol. Tastes of the same with a bitter finish. Definetly nothing to back for on this one. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
GT2 (8741) - San Diego County, California, USA - OCT 10, 2013
24oz can from a gas station in Sisters, OR. Pretty low boost for "Beast Ice". Pours clear golden with medium soapy foam. Okay retention. Spicy, sweet apple pie nose. Taste is biting alcohol, sticky sweet apple pie. Nothing too soapy, lots of sugar, no vegetal or fusel notes. Nothing offensive really besides the heavy sweetness. Much better than expected. Womencantsail and pepsican approved.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - OCT 5, 2013
Oct2813 on the bottom. Didn’t bother pouring this. Meh. The alcohol can sort of be smelled and tasted, even though this beer is at 5.9%, which, as we craft drinkers know, really isn’t that high at all. It’s subtle, but there. The flavor is really sweet... sweeter than most AAL’s I’ve had. Really gets cloying as I drink more and more, actually. Corn syrupy, to be honest. Sure the ABV’s a bit higher, but not THAT high. The feel is really carbonated with a foaminess. I’ve had worse, but not much worse. The corniness seems to come out of this more than other AAL’s I’ve had. The trace of alcohol in the flavor/aroma confuses me. The flavor is too heavy on the corn. At $1.49 for a 24oz can it’s what you’d expect... shitty quality, but it IS pretty drinkable. Probably wouldn’t bother with this one again... though I will say that the price is hard to beat for the ABV. I’d rather have this over a Bud Light or mostly any other light beer, for sure.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
geologyguy (762) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - SEP 27, 2013
In can, couldnt rate appearance...tastes corny, malty, no hops...pretty filling for the type

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Drake (8981) - Free Union, Virginia, USA - SEP 12, 2013
24 ounce can from some random gas station. Pours a clear golden color with a large fizzy off-white head. Fair head retention. Aroma of "selected cereal grains." Heh. Strong corn with some pale malts. Some apple notes as well. The taste is corn, pale grainy malts, a strong chemical note. Thin bodied. Even worse than I was expecting, which wasn’t much. 200th pale lager, for what its worth.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
Dogbrick (8680) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 22, 2013
Pale yellow color with a thin white head that disappears quickly. Spotty lace. Corn and grain in the nose. Light-bodied with flavors of grainy malt, corn and slight hops. The finish is sweet with a malty aftertaste. Not good.