overall

RATINGS: 258   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.1   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This beer pours a dark brown with a moderate tan head and smell of toasted coffee and light cocoa. It has a pronounced roasted coffee flavour with slightly sweet cocoa notes concluding with a subtle, well balanced, hop bitterness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
puboflyons (2121) - Allenstown, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 11, 2014
From the 750 ml. bottle obtained from a Trader Joe’s. I had to bounce around B before I could find the right beer to review! This beer starts out promising with its dark brown pour and lingering tan head. I will give it that. The aroma does emit some chocolate malt character and butter but the cocoa powder seems to jump forward more than anything else. Low hop note. Light to medium body. I pick up some milk chocolate in the taste and a more bitter finish than I anticipated after the nose but it still smells like someone sprinkled Nestle Cocoa Powder into the beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
kramer (4905) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 9, 2014
Pours a flat black body under a one inch foamy dark brown head that had decent retention. The nose is slightly burnt and acrid with a bit of rubber and just minimal chocolate. The flavor is pretty bad, lots of burnt scorched malt and not much chocolate at all. Medium bodied, a little clingy, soft carbonation. Pretty poor Stout.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
kseecs16 (1193) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - MAR 9, 2014
Bottle. Pours out an opaque dark brown with a frothy diarrhea of a head. Fortunately smells better than shit, mainly becaues it has little discernible aroma beyond a vague sweetness. Tastes of bitter burnt malts with little redeeming sweetness or other notable characteristics. Fizzy, watery...and awful.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
exeter (286) - calgary, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 7, 2014
What is this flavour at the start? I don’t know. Some milk flavour and corn sugar. I guess there is cocoa flavouring here and maybe dark fruits and a roasty something. Sucks

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
decaturstevo (4996) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - MAR 7, 2014
Brown black pour with tan head and lace. Aroma is light chocolate. Semi sweet chocolate flavor with a touch of roastiness. Light malt like bitter. Medium body and a tan fizzy and thin. ok though

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
woodychevy (349) - - MAR 5, 2014
Boatswain Chocolate Stout from TJ’s- as always their beer is great value but just average in every other way. This one seems to be marketed under many guises- one description read: "is there beer in my chocolate or chocolate in my beer". Super strong notes of chocolate on the nose and palate- some coffee and earthiness in there as well. Decently balanced with 66 IBU’s. Mouthfeel a bit thin for a stout- more porter like to me. Overall pretty drinkable- definitely an easier going stout than many I have had this winter. For 2.99 would buy again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
jbruner (2296) - Athens, Georgia, USA - MAR 3, 2014
Boatswain chocolate stout from Trader Joe’s. Pours an opaque black from the bottle with bubbly tan head that leaves moderate lace. Aroma is dry lager yeast, almost Irish stout. Taste follows, hint of soy and smokiness, no real chocolate. Well worth the $2.29 a bomber, but not very good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
daknole (9052) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAR 2, 2014
Dark brown pour, brown head. Ashy, roasty, light chocolate, some bitterness. just average at best.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Chudwick (2094) - Cincyucky, Kentucky, USA - FEB 27, 2014
purchased as Boatswain Chocolate Stout - alias of and alias, neato! Bomber (some markings o)n bottom, but means nothing to me) - I was in Trader Joe’s and handed my cell phone to my daughter (20months old) because she kept reaching for the jerky hanging next to the beers. Had I kept my phone, I would have looked this cheap ($2.49) product up and seen that it no longer meets my criteria for buying. Long story short, my daughter dropped the phone and cracked the back. We left shortly thereafter. This beer better be good. Nose is caramel and chocolate - the smell has the makings of adjunct products. 66 IBUs? yah about that, you know it’s probably, probably, not true. Chocolate and mildly roasted flavor, but with metallic notes. I would have preferred the chocolate bunny on my label. This is up there with Dieselpunk Stout.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
sawbuck (315) - Round Lake, Illinois, USA - FEB 23, 2014
Sweet aroma of chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Pours pitch black with a brown frothy head. Mild bitter chocolate taste up front. Flavors are muted, filled with coffee and roasted malt notes. Finishes with an off bitterness.