Mishawaka Founders Stout

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 77   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   ABV: -
Mishawaka Brewing Company’s "Founder’s Stout" has been brewed since August 1992 and is the winner of multiple awards including the 1996 World Beer Cup’s "Gold Cup", the 1998 World Beer Cup’s "Silver Cup" and the 1995 Silver Medal Winner at the Great American Beer Festival. It is an Irish-style dry stout with seven malts. It has a roasted coffee flavor with a distinctive dry-roasted bitterness in the finish.

1.3
   AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
ross (2075) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - SEP 4, 2008
Bottle from Sean. He thought this was going to be funny to send me this beer. It wasnt funny, Sean. I am going to take a shit on every bottle I have for you right now. Infected bottle, I dont even know if I should rate this, but I will because I like to be like a clock and rate any beer that graces my lips. It looks nice in the glass, it even smells nice like coffee and chocolate. But when you taste it..... it is so sour it almost makes you gag. This beer shows promise but went straight into the drain. Thanks for this awesome beer Sean, I rank it up there with the Becks AF.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
djcoolhark (21) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - AUG 8, 2008
Great beer on tap. One of the best stouts I’ve had. I’ve heard some problems about bottles from friends, but the tap lets this one shine. A great malted coffee taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUN 15, 2008
Bottle from Chalet Party Shoppe in Goshen, IN. Pours brown black with a frothy tan head. Aroma of fruity ale esters. Flavor is sweet and vinegary, with no dryness and little dark roast. This one is infected. I am not having much luck with this brewery. They need to step up their QC.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - MAY 27, 2008
22oz - Aroma or roasted dark malts, cheap coffee, oats and molasses. Pours dark brown with a small brown head and good lacing. Flavor matches aroma with a little more intensity and bitterness. Palate is dry and ashy. Not bad but nothing special.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Unique69crazy (120) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 9, 2008
Pours a dark brown color. Has a small citrus hop aroma to this as well. I was looking for more in this but I guess I was wrong.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
DWestrick (417) - Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 19, 2008
Poured dark - definite dry roast that had an almost lemony sour flavor - personally didn’t care for it but like Patrick said, could be a bottling problem or something

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
ucusty (2691) - raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 12, 2008
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2008 Pours pitch black with very little head and lacing. Aroma dominated by chocolate and espresso. Thick mouth-feel with lots coffee and roasted malts. finish’s with a chocolate blast. Looks like I got a rare good bottle

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
temporrari (381) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - DEC 30, 2007
Pretty dark pour, foamy head. Thin, kind of watery. Not a lot of flavor. Terrible mouth feel. Over-carbonated. I do not think my bottle was infected, but who knows, could’ve been. Shameful to be honest.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
patrick767 (3528) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 24, 2007
bottle - Right off, I’m going to say I assume my bottle was infected. Now I’m seeing that four out of the five ratings prior to mine all mention the sourness or vinegar characteristics, so it wasn’t just my bottle by any means. I’d say Mishawaka’s got a bottling problem, especially since another of their beers I bought at the same time had milder but similar signs of infection. So.... given all that, I will rate accordingly. It pours black with a huge, fluffy tan head. It has a light roast malt and chocolate aroma. Then there’s the nasty, watery, sour, infected flavor. Meh. It looked so good, smelled alright, and ended up being a drain pour.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jameswolfe (159) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 10, 2007
Way overrated on this site. Porterhouses description is very accurate. Maybe this was old cause it does indeed taste like vinegar. The foamy head takes forever to simmer down. If someone knows how to find a good bottle let me know.