overall

RATINGS: 756   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.64   ABV: -
Dating back to 18th century England, the custom of blending pale and dark beers has kept the "Black & Tan" a favorite of experienced beer drinkers for centuries. Our famous recipe combines a robust English Porter with a fine Continental Pilsner, preserving the character of each, while creating the classic taste of the legendary "Black & Tan." In true American style, we bring you the best of both beers as they meet in Mississippi Mud.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JUL 23, 2002
This ain’t no stout - it’s just a fancy bottle of crappy beer. If you want to feel like a hillbilly, you’d have way more fun drinking shine out of a mason jar. As long as you don’t wake up next to your sister...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - JUL 22, 2002
Like most people said, the bottle’s pretty neat. Malty type nose, no head, too fizzy, semi transparent look. Decent mouthfeel, easy sippin, but not too exxciting. It was rather entertaining reading the label too.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
PorterPounder (5375) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUL 21, 2002
I bypassed this beer many a time just because of the idiotic bottle - but now that I am on a quest for 100 - I broke down and bought it. Expected something where I needed to hit the bottom like a ketchup bottle to get all of it out. Very disapointed - very thin - like brown Budweiser. Good head though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
gws57 (1274) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - JUL 19, 2002
Ehh... nothing special about this. This beer knocked me on my ass, however. It lacked taste. Get a real black-and-tan, and leave this one alone.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - JUL 15, 2002
Ah yes - Marketing at its best - packaged uniquely and customers will buy. But why? The beer really lacks in flavor in a style that is supposed to pack a punch. Sure there is typical malt, hops and yeast notes, but it is so watered down and killed my over-carbonation. Its a pretty package, but don’t judge a book by its cover.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
Aubrey (3431) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUL 12, 2002
Tried this in Wilmington, North Carolina, at a grungy bar called the Barbary Coast; quite the sludge hole BTW, but the place had charisma, so we kept going back. I ordered one of these because I thought the bottle was intriguing. Of course, glasses were not the par on this course, so I had to twist off and drink from the ’jug.’ (I’m giving the beer the benefit of the doubt, and giving it a ’3’ for Appearance, jug considered). I have to say, I was a little scared at first - not knowing what was coming out of that thing... and into my throat. I expected much more though (i.e., a thicker, meatier beer) than what I got (a watery, weak, ’dark lagerish’ type of thing going on). I wasn’t too impressed. But it sure did strike up some conversations: ’Cool bottle man, what’s that?’ The name of this beer is rather misleading. Not entirely offensive, but I wouldn’t order it again. I think I have the bottle in my garage somewhere, collecting dust and cobwebs.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
MartinT (7760) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 7, 2002
Boy, were we excited when we saw this bottle the first time (in my first real beer trip as a matter of fact!)…Boy, did we look stupid when we looked at each other after the first sip…Little did we know that the mud in Mississippi was pathetically paper-thin and devoid of any strong feature…

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - JUN 25, 2002
Cool looking bottle, but that’s about all thats going for it, thin even by a black and tan standard, over carbonated, slight hint of malt, basically a dark american lager in a jug

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUN 18, 2002
cool bottle, average dark beer. the bottle says black & tan - didn’t seem like it to me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JUN 18, 2002
Well, the commercial descript is fairly accurate as to packaging. The one I had was rather light in body for what one would expect. Aromas were not that noticable, either. Flavor was light in roastiness and malt. Still, it is quaffable. But I won’t buy it.