overall

RATINGS: 763   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.64   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Dating back to 18th century England, the custom of blending pale and dark beers has kept the "Black & Tan" a favorite of experienced beer drinkers for centuries. Our famous recipe combines a robust English Porter with a fine Continental Pilsner, preserving the character of each, while creating the classic taste of the legendary "Black & Tan." In true American style, we bring you the best of both beers as they meet in Mississippi Mud.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
gws57 (1274) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - JUL 19, 2002
Ehh... nothing special about this. This beer knocked me on my ass, however. It lacked taste. Get a real black-and-tan, and leave this one alone.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - JUL 15, 2002
Ah yes - Marketing at its best - packaged uniquely and customers will buy. But why? The beer really lacks in flavor in a style that is supposed to pack a punch. Sure there is typical malt, hops and yeast notes, but it is so watered down and killed my over-carbonation. Its a pretty package, but don’t judge a book by its cover.

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
Aubrey (3442) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUL 12, 2002
Tried this in Wilmington, North Carolina, at a grungy bar called the Barbary Coast; quite the sludge hole BTW, but the place had charisma, so we kept going back. I ordered one of these because I thought the bottle was intriguing. Of course, glasses were not the par on this course, so I had to twist off and drink from the ’jug.’ (I’m giving the beer the benefit of the doubt, and giving it a ’3’ for Appearance, jug considered). I have to say, I was a little scared at first - not knowing what was coming out of that thing... and into my throat. I expected much more though (i.e., a thicker, meatier beer) than what I got (a watery, weak, ’dark lagerish’ type of thing going on). I wasn’t too impressed. But it sure did strike up some conversations: ’Cool bottle man, what’s that?’ The name of this beer is rather misleading. Not entirely offensive, but I wouldn’t order it again. I think I have the bottle in my garage somewhere, collecting dust and cobwebs.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
MartinT (7952) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 7, 2002
Boy, were we excited when we saw this bottle the first time (in my first real beer trip as a matter of fact!)…Boy, did we look stupid when we looked at each other after the first sip…Little did we know that the mud in Mississippi was pathetically paper-thin and devoid of any strong feature…

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - JUN 25, 2002
Cool looking bottle, but that’s about all thats going for it, thin even by a black and tan standard, over carbonated, slight hint of malt, basically a dark american lager in a jug

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUN 18, 2002
cool bottle, average dark beer. the bottle says black & tan - didn’t seem like it to me.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JUN 18, 2002
Well, the commercial descript is fairly accurate as to packaging. The one I had was rather light in body for what one would expect. Aromas were not that noticable, either. Flavor was light in roastiness and malt. Still, it is quaffable. But I won’t buy it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 18, 2002
Ah, the novelty of it all. There really is only one B&T and that is hard poured. That said. Dark brown color with a light tan head. Minimal aroma. Flavors of dark malted grains. Rather thin and bubbly. Just not a whole lot here.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20