overall

RATINGS: 780   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.64   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Dating back to 18th century England, the custom of blending pale and dark beers has kept the "Black & Tan" a favorite of experienced beer drinkers for centuries. Our famous recipe combines a robust English Porter with a fine Continental Pilsner, preserving the character of each, while creating the classic taste of the legendary "Black & Tan." In true American style, we bring you the best of both beers as they meet in Mississippi Mud.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
howie (549) - DeForest, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 20, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2005 Cool jug! Boring beer. Bottle says ’black and tan’, but it doesn’t taste like any black and tan I’ve ever had. Like an ordinary "pale lager" with artificial caramel color and flavor added. Insipid.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - AUG 11, 2002
I had seen this on the shelves for a long time before drinking it. Never noticed the ’black and tan’ part, I had always assumed it was a thick stout so the pour was surprisingly light. Bitter, not very strong. They must have hopped the lager to hell compared with the stout to make it taste like this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
uglybastard (101) - Riverside, California, USA - AUG 27, 2002
Big giant head that fades way down (I think the head size has to do with the glass i’m using. Several beers poured into the same glass have produced "monster" heads). The brew’s hue is reddish-brown. Smell some caramel and a bit of floral hoppyness as well. Creamy, caramelly taste. Sweetness fades away in the end to leave a bit of coffee flavor. But the fading sweetness and the coffee don’t mix quite right for some reason. Still, it’s not a bad brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 17, 2002
The color wasn’t as dark as I expected. the flavor had a hint of caramel and the finish was hoppy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
scottyg (79) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - AUG 27, 2002
Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. But still nothing amazing. Definitely a cool jug if that sells you beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
presario (4901) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 23, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 3, 2006 Good foamy head. Dark amber colour. Decent aroma. Thinner than I expected. Sweeter too, almost like a cooler. Great bottle but now that I have an MT I’ll continue my search for the perfect beer elsewhere. The more I drank of the bottle the more the sweetness got in the way. Had a similar flavoured home brew (Pale Ale) the next day that was much better (dry without the sweetness).

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 9, 2002
more tan than black. lots of carbo, othewise, not a whole lot of anything in this beer. at least the bottle looks cool.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - OCT 18, 2002
Re-Rate 10/18/02: The beer pours a clear incandesant dark ruby color, the head is modest, beige, the lace wraithish. Nose is malt, light hits of caramel. Front is malt, a tad sweet, the top thin, the finish is shilpit, minimal carbonation, nebishly hopped. Drinkable, and the bottle is ’Cute’, and I always find a ’Lady’ that wants the empties, a pleasure in its own right. Does not rank on my current 1000 beer master list.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 19, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 7, 2003 I expected something a little more flavorful, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 6, 2002
Cool bottle. Sweet taste. Almost like a chocolate carmel flavor. Much thinner and lighter than I expected. I didn’t find it to be bitter as the description states. Less black than tan.