overall

RATINGS: 758   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.64   ABV: -
Dating back to 18th century England, the custom of blending pale and dark beers has kept the "Black & Tan" a favorite of experienced beer drinkers for centuries. Our famous recipe combines a robust English Porter with a fine Continental Pilsner, preserving the character of each, while creating the classic taste of the legendary "Black & Tan." In true American style, we bring you the best of both beers as they meet in Mississippi Mud.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAR 7, 2002
Hey, beer in a jug! RERATE: Hey, look, the server harassed me for not commenting about the nose and the taste! Itís beer in a jug!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dprior (118) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 7, 2002
The bottle is very cool lookin... the kinda thing I wont be throwing away. The pour isnít very impressive at all, and the aroma is nothing to write home about. Itís got a decent flavor and an average palete.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
ToadMan (559) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 7, 2002
The jug is the best thing going for this beer. Its got a bitter taste that is ok, but nothing great. The palate is very plain. Overall a mediocore beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SudsMaster (68) - Denville, New Jersey, USA - MAR 3, 2002
Loved this pilsner porter mix. Sweet and malty , smooth as can be. Love the jug it comes in too.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
daninorlando99 (49) - Orlando, Florida, USA - FEB 21, 2002
cool bottle, ok beer

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - FEB 15, 2002
I didnít know what to expect from this one, but it isnít too bad. The smell is a little coppery with some malty notes. The brew is a little thick, as the description states, with very little head, at least from this bottle. The taste is like most any darker American brew to me, but more bitter. It tastes like what it is---a mixture of Pilsner and Porter, if I remember correctly. I am not a Porter fan, and not even a major Pilsner fan, either, so I shouldnít be thrilled by a combination of the two. Iím not, but I prefer it to a lot of typical American beers Iíve tried.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
noer1 (109) - Massachusetts, USA - FEB 13, 2002
I enjoyed the mississippi mud. I was a little skeptical trying it, but It was a surprise. Tastes good and has a nice bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Davhgbrew (940) - Coconut Creek, Florida, USA - FEB 8, 2002
very weak palate and pretty light for a black and tan. Has no head, but nice flavor. I actually liked Michelobís black and tan better!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
NJBeerman013 (1047) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - FEB 6, 2002
Cool bottle idea. Too bad they didnít put as much work into the beer itself. Donít get me wrong, it is a decent brew. Its just not as good as I was expecting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SpecialBrew99 (57) - grand blanc, Michigan, USA - FEB 4, 2002
Very light stout flavor, which I enjoy. Great mix of POrter and Pilsner. And if it matters, drink a couple of these and you will be feeling good.