overall
Brewed by Grupo Modelo (Corona)
Style: Pale Lager
México DF, Mexico

RATINGS: 1159   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.97   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Modelo Especial, a pilsener type beer, was introduced to the market in 1966. Today it is sold in glass bottles as well as cans, which are having an increasing demand due to consumer preferences, making Modelo Especial the leader in the can segment in Mexico.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - SEP 9, 2006
Bottled. Not the worst pale lager I’ve tried, but not especially great. One of the few things that I appreciated was that it didn’t smell stongly of corn and rice. Sure it was there, but not the bulk of the aroma. As a matter of fact, I have a hard time describing this beer in terms of good things. It’s much easier to describe it in terms of "things that weren’t awful."

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
zamco17 (134) - Corpus Christi, Texas, USA - AUG 30, 2006
Good mexican beer. A ton better than Corona. a little pricey though. my go-to fajita beer

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - AUG 26, 2006
(bottle) pale lager gold with small, rapidly fading white head. A whiff of citrus in the aroma. Body is light with some hops in the finish.

0.8
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
JoeMcPhee (8837) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 26, 2006
24 oz can. Pale golden beer, thin white head. Aroma is quite soapy, thin pale malt. Slightly sweet, corny aroma. Flavour is bland at best, soapy and slightly oily tasting. Meh.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
mustangjoe (183) - redondo beach, California, USA - AUG 22, 2006
Nothing especial about this one. Poured a clear golden color with a small head that disappeared as quickly as it appeared. Very non-memorable in flavor and taste, although I do remember that I didn’t like it all that much.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
shendrix (478) - Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 18, 2006
All in all, a typical Mexican brew. Slightly better than Corona in my estimation, the pale golden pilsner has only the mildest hppy notes mingled with the faintest citrus hints. A bit of malt, but not too much of anything going on. Not terribly great, but not offensive. A decent sipping beer.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
muenster (345) - Sevierville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 14, 2006
So NachlamSie and I decided to embark upon a journey to the Great Lakes area, hitting lots of brewpubs, and bottle shops. As our most successful journey was coming to an end, we found ourselves in the Polish section of Chicago. After walking for an eternity and eating a wonderful Polish buffet, we decided to stop at a bar for a beer. In the heart of Polish Chicago, we hoped to at least manage to get a descent Polish beer before hopping back on the Blue Line ride back to the hotel for the last night. We instead found ourselves in a bar that had one pool table, a TV, a few local drunks, and only Macro beers. We decided to go with the Modelo Especial. I even had a lime with mine. So after a week of some of the most fantastic beers and bottle shops in America, we found our trip coming to a close in a dive bar in Polish Chicago, drinking Mexican beer on Saturday night. Fantastic times. The beer was secondary to the experience, but I remember it being watery and corn syrupy, with my lime providing me with the most satisfaction.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
GuilTTy (728) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - AUG 7, 2006
Bottle at Guarduno’s in Scottsdale, AZ. Best thing about this beer was the fun ambiance of the restaurant. Typical clear gold pour with no head or lacing. Mildly skunky aroma of nothing. Reasonably malty flavor without the "Corona-esque" citrus sour note. No finish and classically watery mouthfeel. Not as bad as most south/central american pale lagers but they’re all brews to be avoided anyway.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
rybowen (105) - Los Angeles 90039, California, USA - JUL 22, 2006
I was at a party and it was either this or corona. I picked the unexpected and enjoyed it OK. Not much flavor, not much, hops, not much of anything really. Better than Corona, I suppose, but that’s not saying a whole lot, is it? I think I dumped about half of it but I kept the bottle because I can put good homebrew in it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
radagast83 (5417) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JUL 18, 2006
Bottle. Pale, golden color. Eating it with mexican food is all well and good, but I don’t think I would drink this any other way. At the very least there are better ones that I would rather buy when out.