Brewed by Grupo Modelo (Corona)
Style: Pale Lager
México DF, Mexico

RATINGS: 1262   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.98/5   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Modelo Especial, a pilsener type beer, was introduced to the market in 1966. Today it is sold in glass bottles as well as cans, which are having an increasing demand due to consumer preferences, making Modelo Especial the leader in the can segment in Mexico.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - FEB 27, 2007
Bleh. Tastes like corona only more water and stale. I don’t have anything good to say about this beer... Not even on a hot summer day when it is ice cold.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
sanmiguel (118) - Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2007
Bottled. No skunky scent. Like many lagers, it had an ever so bland taste with hints of corn. Astringent finish. Not bad...

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
benclarkiii (73) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - FEB 21, 2007
Very light and not very flavorful. Mostly watered down. Somewhat interesting with the right Mexican dish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
aubreya (676) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - FEB 17, 2007
The color was a watery, pale yellow. The head was thin, white, and fizzy. The aroma was skunk-like, corny, and very lacking. The flavor was corny and ale. The palate was watery and thing and the finish was lacking.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
tmorenojr (6) - Winter Park, Florida, USA - FEB 15, 2007 does not count
Had this at a very popular Mexican restaurant. I have to say, the best part was washing down the chips and salsa. Not much flavor and much like a typical American Lager. Most would agree that this beer works best on a hot day in Mexico...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
AskForJenny (1066) - Ontario, New York, USA - FEB 12, 2007
I had many of these on a recent vacation to Mexico. It works there, but it’s nothing I’d seek out north of the border. To me it tasted like a Bud with slightly more hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
skaz05 (17) - USA - FEB 10, 2007
UPDATED: APR 6, 2008 I love this beer. Refreshing as a glass of cold water in the face. Tasty, light, and crispy. Try it with a breakfast, thats right breakfast, of chorizo and eggs, beans and cheese. You never had it so good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
mstockton (225) - Frankfurt, GERMANY - FEB 10, 2007
Hmm...tough for me to agree with all the terrible ratings on here. Maybe part of the allure is drinking it in Mexico when it’s hot. I always add a lime, which certainly distorts the rating and makes anything taste drinkable. Still, a nice bitterness and I find the beer extremely refreshing if not overly complex and deep.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
TheKegergator (241) - California, USA - FEB 8, 2007
Had this last night when asked if I wanted another beer by a buddy of mine. I said yes and held up the SNPA I was just about done with. He returns with this. :mellow: Pretty less then average brew. It smelled funny, and was not very drinkable. Fits perfectly in the macro lager catagory, meh.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jlf278 (288) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - FEB 7, 2007
Quite refreshing. Drink it cold, it’s not supposed to be tasted. I had a few of these on vacation out of the fridge provided. Normally I refuse to drink canned beer, but it was free and within arms reach, so I had to try. Plus, I was in Mexico, so there was a certain charm about it. I would say this qualifies as actual beer, so don’t worry about trying it. It’s definitely drinkable.