overall
Brewed by Grupo Modelo (Corona)
Style: Pale Lager
México DF, Mexico

RATINGS: 1121   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.97   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Modelo Especial, a pilsener type beer, was introduced to the market in 1966. Today it is sold in glass bottles as well as cans, which are having an increasing demand due to consumer preferences, making Modelo Especial the leader in the can segment in Mexico.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Jine (896) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - MAY 30, 2005
Received some cans from our new neighbors in exchange for a couch and a tv we couldn’t keep due to having to move out. Funny because we were going to offer them some beers for taking the stuff off our hands!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2005
12 oz can - Pours pale yellow with a light white head that dissipates kind of quick. Aroma is mostly corn and light malts a touch of hops. The taste is corn and light malts. Highly carbonated and not very tasty. One step above water for this one.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
ampp (155) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2005
This one pours a pale yellow-gold. There is a slight skunk odor followed by some malt and citrus aroma. The taste is malty sweet with some lemon. It is a bit watery. This is a very average beer that is drinkable, but not anything I would hurry to buy again. Unlike some beers that get more flavorful when they warm, this one finishes more sour as it warms. Best to drink it cold.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Hansen (7081) - Assentoft, DENMARK - MAY 20, 2005
Something like so many standard pale lagers. Pale and medium head. some sweetness and a little hint of bitterness. Flavor finish a bit odd.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Stew41 (1784) - Woodend, AUSTRALIA - MAY 17, 2005
Clear medium gold. No bouquet of note. Fairly boring palate, nearly devoid of any hop or malt flavour and quite fizzy. Good thirst quenching option (but so it water).

1.3
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
Suttree (5317) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAY 8, 2005
Bottle. Well, I was at my local bottle shop and saw this was on the singles shelf for cheap. I’d never rated it, and hey, it was close to Cinco de Mayo. "Why not?", I asked myself. I’m not a snob, and it could be OK. (hint: it’s not). I mean, a well made pilsener can be quite refreshing (another hint: it’s neither well made nor a pilsener). Enough justifying the purchase. Let me get to the meat of my review: This beer is yucky.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
bsawatzky (153) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 7, 2005
another crappy mexican beer. the pale lager evidently doesnt suite me and this is no exception. the addiction of lime helps it a little.

0.9
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 1/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (5168) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 5, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2007 This is a new beer to me and will remain a stranger. Sampled from a 12 oz clear bottle this beer poured a medium golden color with a small white head. The aroma is skunky and vegetal. The flavor is skunky and vegetal as well.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
hezron (610) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 5, 2005
Cinco de Mayo so it’s time to break out a Mexican beer. This one poured pale yellow with a white head. Just like almost every other pale lager I have ever had. Why bother saying it anymore? Nice refreshing skunk and citrus aroma. Simple taste with a hint of malt, less skunk in the flavor than in the aroma. I’m not even going to describe the palate... just think, "Pale Lager."

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
IMtheOptimator (1162) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - MAY 5, 2005
Poured an effervescent yellow with an offwhite head. Light aroma of corn and hops. Taste is smooth corn with very little hop bitterness and a smooth finish. Nothing distasteful... actually, not much at all. I certainly couldn’t find anything special in "especial".