overall
Brewed by Grupo Modelo (Corona)
Style: Pale Lager
México DF, Mexico

RATINGS: 1192   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.97   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Modelo Especial, a pilsener type beer, was introduced to the market in 1966. Today it is sold in glass bottles as well as cans, which are having an increasing demand due to consumer preferences, making Modelo Especial the leader in the can segment in Mexico.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
darkko (99) - Kingsport, Tennessee, USA - MAY 10, 2006
Very light to medium bodied with no character. No hoppy taste either. I wouldn’t get it again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
OldMrCrow (2177) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 6, 2006
From the bottle.

Pours a clear, attractive yellow with a nice fluffy white head. The aroma is grain/corn and a bit of grass. The flavor is grainy and weak, slight hints of grassy hops but really dominated by the adjuncts; mouthfeel is watery and flat and even at about 45 F it feels too warm for what it is. This one reminds me why they serve bad beer cold.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
Mirage52 (147) - New Market, Maryland, USA - MAY 4, 2006
From the bottle for Cinco de Mayo. Pours a deep golden color with a nice sized head and some good tracing on the glass. The taste is very bland and watery, almost tastes flat. It might be good in the Mexican sun when you’re eating some spicy food, but today it leaves a lot to be desired. Especially at $8 for a 6 pack.

0.9
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
NachlamSie (2994) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 30, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 17, 2006 bottle. boooo. I actually had some semblance of hope for this brew. Don’t get me wrong, I really didn’t expect anything over the bare minimum of consumable, but I did at least hope for that. Nope. Nasty skunky aroma with a little peppery notes and hints of malt that make it slightly more interesting, then corn, cardboard, and plastic in the mouth. I thought I could at least plug my nose and choke it down with a spicy salsa/chicken sandwhich, but no, I cannot fight the nautious qualities. This is certainly crap. update: I visit Chicago. I’m in deep in the Polish part of town to get some authentic quisine. The service, unfortunately, was so bad I could not even see my server long enough to order a beer. So I come to this Polish bar afterwards to get at least some Polish swill. No. I can’t even have that. It’s either Modelo Especial or BMC. Well, now here I am.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
NoiZe (2323) - Amersfoort, NETHERLANDS - APR 24, 2006
Standard, dark golden coloured pale lager. A bit citrus in the aroma. Flavor a bit hoppy perhaps. Enjoyable, but not special.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
beerguy101 (5338) - Newark, California, USA - APR 21, 2006
This pale lager pours a light yellow gold color from a clear 12oz bottle. Small to medium sized white foamy head. Aroma is grainy, grassy, corny and sweet. A light bodied pale lager. Malts are mild, cereal and grainy. Hops are slightly bitter and a touch spicy. Lively carbonation. Somewhat metallic tasting and that flavor, sad to say, is the major flavor component to that beer. Sort of like beer flavored water; buy not in a good way. It has no off tastes because it has almost no flavor at all. Mouthfeel is thin. Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Beerdedone (2978) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2006
UPDATED: APR 27, 2006 Bottle sampled with Stegosaurus. Pours yellow with a white head. Aroma of corn, sweet malts, and citrus, Flavor is bitter and macro-like, thin, watery.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
SkyinBrian (430) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 19, 2006
Can. I cant tell if this is above or below on corona on modelo’s line. since this was out of a can, it tasted much better to me than the corona, and was actulaly less offensive than many domestic lagers, but definatly not worth the premium price it garners as an "import"

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
Kiapepito (110) - Port Angeles, Washington, USA - APR 17, 2006
was finally able to change it up with my dad, and his usually corona drink for easter, but still stuck with the mexican beers.. hahaha... it’s a yellowish color with a white head to it, it taste okay, nothing to fancy

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
pivo (2640) - GERMANY - APR 14, 2006
Foul nose, gold color. Thin, watery body. Oxidized tastes. No bitter. Soapy feel. Quite bad.