Molson OV
     click to upload
overall
Brewed by Molson Breweries (MolsonCoors)
Style: Pale Lager
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 91   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.27   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A mainstream lager with a moderate hop character and a slightly sweet, fruity refreshing aroma and taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
campat (7) - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA - MAR 17, 2005 does not count
It pours a good head that doesn’t last for awhile. It tastes like an aged lager but it is inoffencive. Would buy if had an OV light.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
iambeer (255) - Ontario, CANADA - MAR 3, 2005
A smooth acompaniment to a Bali dish, quite good. To agree with leedsfan, it seemed to be more popular in the ol’days. Not bad still.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
leedsfan (15) - CANADA - JAN 19, 2005
I finally got around to trying this beer - not nearly as bad as I’d been led to believe. It does go down easy, but has nothing really to recommend it - quite forgettable really. Has really fallen off the radar, I can see why.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
Gorbalev (2924) - Ontario, CANADA - DEC 31, 2004
Yep, I knew I would get in a macro or two during the holidays back home in rural Eastern Ontario. Best bottle available at the local Legion on Pool night. Yellow pour, but slightly darker than its Molbatts cousins. Not really any aroma to speak off, other than expected grassy characteristics. Thin mouthfeel but there was some malty-sweetness in here that surprised me. Rough macro finish - hop character????? No. At least it was bought for me and it wasn’t that awful, especially compared to what was there.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
LiamPatrick16 (124) - Montgomery, New York, USA - AUG 28, 2004
skunky aroma only what you can expect from molson. suprisingly smooth but tasted very watered down. lacing on glass. not much to talk about.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
dirkules (629) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 26, 2004
Probably the first beer I tried when I was a child... stored in my father’s cellar in the old stubby bottles... dusty and a bitter, flat, overaged mess by the time I got around to it (probably about a decade after it was purchased) but a recent venture brought it back to life. Not as bad as I remembered, but probably not as good as carling.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 9/20
Crockett (1008) - Southampton,Ontario, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 24, 2004
Draft pour. Clear and light gold with a tiny sudsy soap head. Aroma is mildly hop, grassy floral and grainy Crisp and clean, not much flavour. Lots of carbonation. Light toast and malt. Dull dry finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
pootzboy (1590) - Hawgville, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 14, 2004
This beer has been misclassified, but you’d have a hard time finding anyone who cares. This is the O’Keefe brand lager known as Old Vienna that molson bought out in the seventies. It still bears the blue lable and OKeefe knight. Molson has kept the OKeefe Old Vienna (O.V.) formula pretty well untouched. OV is a Canadianized mega-brewer version of the sweeter /maltiervienna lagers...some say the attempt was to make a marzen. It is sweeter than most Canandian mega brews. I was introduced this beer was when my high school buddy used to snich a few of his dad’s beers. I never really liked this beer then so I have had no desire to buy it regularly since. I had one recently at a pub down town and I realized it isn’t as bad as I remembered but is still pretty undistictive aside from the cloying finish. Pours a darker straw color, small white head that dissipates quickly, medium carbonation, smells of cooked grain sweetness and adjunct aroma (corn syrup?). Starts crisp then sits with a me light malty body then finishes thinly with a mildly cloying after taste. Totally forgetable Not a really memorable beer but it has been a staple in Canadian beer stores for 50 years so It must have a following among beer drinkers.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 7, 2004
Clear yellow. Low-medium carbonation. White head. Faint fruit & malt aroma w/ ever-so-slight hint of fresh cut grass. Light feel. Sweet malt & fruit flavour w/ a touch of grassy hops. Clean but bland.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sarge (10) - Ontario, CANADA - APR 26, 2004
When I was a teenager, my buddies and I tried all the 'standard' beers (Blue, Canadian, Export, etc) only because that is what everybody else was drinking. But over time we always ended up going against the grain and settling back with an OV. Why? Because it's smooth, refreshing, and goes down easy. It has the stigma of an "old man beer" but that is unfounded - its for beer lovers who like it clean and cold and easy going. It is one of the very few beers that I have had in which I was burping up the taste 2 days later. The only drawback is when Molsons bought it from Carling - I don't think they followed the traditional recipe by the letter.