Monkey Paw 16th & F Double Dry Hopped Pale Ale

Monkey Paw 16th & F Double Dry Hopped Pale Ale
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.27/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.92   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Hazy. Bitter. Unrefined. Sometimes a beer comes along that just defies what you think a style should encompass. We took a pale ale and hopped it like an IPA. Then we dry hopped the hell out of it. What came out is a pale ale that is hoppy, grassy, nicely bitter, and all in all a great pale ale that was left rough around the edges. We really wanted to make a beer that could be left in its natural state to show off how beer really looks and tastes. We call it 16th and F Double Dry Hopped Pale Ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
JorisPPattyn (7877) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - MAY 9, 2012
Draught. Advertised as "Extra Pale Ale 40 IBU" Small yellowish head over pale amber beer. Parsley, herbal, lightly toasted malts. Bitterish, bit dull, but not unpleasant flavour. Finishes more bitter. Bit of dry-out; well-carbonated, medium bodied. Decent pale ale. Served at San Diegosí usual temperatures - even when itís raining outside.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lagunitasfan (1313) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 17, 2012
On tap at Urge in Poway as part of a Monkey Paw night. 9 brews on tap from them. Wow. This was a pleasant surprise. Hazy amber with stringy lace. Nose hoppy and pale yeast. Taste has great funkiness. This one should be pineapple express. Tart pineapple and mango goodness. Smooth hoppy to sharp back. Very nice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
iowaherkeye (2690) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - JAN 16, 2012
Phone rate, tap at Hamiltonís. Clear golden amber with a one finger white head, fading to an uneven head of thick big bubbles and then a thin fine bubbled film--reminds me a bit of the head from an Irish car bomb. Lots of ripe fruity notes, tropical and also citrus rind hops. The fruity hops had me thinking this was going to be quite sweet, but thereís little malt presence. Dry, bitterness peaked at a 7-8 and lingered many minutes. Since this was served ice cold, I did the flavor first. Aroma was much the same. Despite smelling pretty hoppy (and bitter), I donít really get much dry hopping that I do in other dry hopped beers. Light to medium body with very low carbonation--only enough to eventually rouse a 1/4" head, which stuck around a minute. These guys sure like their bittering hops--too much so for me. That and the overripe fruit, me no likey.