overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Burnley, England

RATINGS: 271   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Pasteurised bottle 500ml.
A full malty flavoured beer with a strong fruity hop aftertaste.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - APR 8, 2004
Poured orange with a small head and a musky sour aroma. Taste isn't much better except it does have a bit of malty sweetness to it. Finish is clean but way too light.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - MAR 24, 2004
Pours extremely over my expectations. Dark burnt raw sienna colors with a huge rocky head. Nice aroma that reminds me of a candle flavor that I cannot put my finger on, but you can definitely find the honey wafting in there somewhere. Lots of caramel and toffee, with some light fruits, that never really make there presence known. A bit unbalanced, but overall pretty tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hershiser2 (1425) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Paid $2.99 for a 500ml bottle. Nice burnt-orange color, very luscious small fluffy head. Great lacing. Nice sweet scent that I can't quite place. Wow... nice, creamy, smooth taste.... did I mention creamy? How about creamy? This is damn good. I have never seen this beer before, but if I see it again, I'm gonna buy it right away. Damn good beer!!! I wish I would have gotten more than just one. additional notes: I noticed that many people say to drink this at room temperature- what i found best was to let this beer chill about 20 minutes in the fridge, and then drinking- so slightly cooler than room temperature was my favorite, but not cold!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
leaparsons (8837) - Leicester, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - JAN 23, 2004
Light gold with a loose white head of foam. Aromas are thin sweet malts and er, thats it. Flavours are sweet caramel and are OK. Pivo has it dead right about the scratchy dryness - a good description. This beer is pretty dull.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
SpringsLicker (3251) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 22, 2004
I wasn't impressed with this beer at all. It looked good, but fell short on aroma and flavor. Just not much going on here or it didn't survive the trip across the pond. A tad thin. Nothing else to write about this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
pivo (2632) - GERMANY - JAN 18, 2004
Bready nose, hazy orange color, frothy head. Thin fruty malt body of apricots with some orange at the end. Very little bitter or hop character, though there is a scratchy dryness very late in the finish. Thin, crisp mouthfeel.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
YogiBeera (2545) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 10, 2004
Wired brew. Orange color, flat carbonation, little layer of a head. Orange nose, but very weak. Orange and grape but sweet taste. Thick- kind of odd, as it has the thickness of an orange juice wihich is thick cause it is somehow rotten :-)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - JAN 6, 2004
I was sipping this beer as I looked it up to do a review. I was *not* impressed and I saw that it had pretty good scores so I looked at what other had written to see what they saw that I didn't. This beer is definately not meant to be had cold. Let it warm up first. I'm still not impressed but it's better than it was. Pours an amber with a decengt head but no lacing. Smelled *really* bad when cold and only improved a little as it warmed. It's almost skunky smelling but not quite. It reminds me of one of my first homebrew attempts; the only reason I drank all of those was because I made 'em. Tastes, well, okay, but it has some serious "band-aid" stuff going on. It's buttery and malty. Mouthfeel is simply average if not watery. Drinkability isn't that great, IMO. It's possible that I just grabbed a bad bottle, but I'm really not impressed with this at all.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
raymow (1040) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 27, 2003
Slightly hazy dark amber color with a hop and malt aroma. Not bad - but I expected a little more character to it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - DEC 16, 2003
Orange with off white head that fades quickly. Grassy/musty/hops aroma. Mildly musty malt, faintly sweet, with sour notes. I'm not sure it it was intentionally this way, or if the bottle I had just hadn't held up well; I suspect the latter.