overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Burnley, England

RATINGS: 267   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.19   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Pasteurised bottle 500ml.
A full malty flavoured beer with a strong fruity hop aftertaste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
SpringsLicker (3237) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 22, 2004
I wasn't impressed with this beer at all. It looked good, but fell short on aroma and flavor. Just not much going on here or it didn't survive the trip across the pond. A tad thin. Nothing else to write about this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
pivo (2626) - GERMANY - JAN 18, 2004
Bready nose, hazy orange color, frothy head. Thin fruty malt body of apricots with some orange at the end. Very little bitter or hop character, though there is a scratchy dryness very late in the finish. Thin, crisp mouthfeel.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
YogiBeera (2540) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 10, 2004
Wired brew. Orange color, flat carbonation, little layer of a head. Orange nose, but very weak. Orange and grape but sweet taste. Thick- kind of odd, as it has the thickness of an orange juice wihich is thick cause it is somehow rotten :-)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - JAN 6, 2004
I was sipping this beer as I looked it up to do a review. I was *not* impressed and I saw that it had pretty good scores so I looked at what other had written to see what they saw that I didn't. This beer is definately not meant to be had cold. Let it warm up first. I'm still not impressed but it's better than it was. Pours an amber with a decengt head but no lacing. Smelled *really* bad when cold and only improved a little as it warmed. It's almost skunky smelling but not quite. It reminds me of one of my first homebrew attempts; the only reason I drank all of those was because I made 'em. Tastes, well, okay, but it has some serious "band-aid" stuff going on. It's buttery and malty. Mouthfeel is simply average if not watery. Drinkability isn't that great, IMO. It's possible that I just grabbed a bad bottle, but I'm really not impressed with this at all.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
raymow (985) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 27, 2003
Slightly hazy dark amber color with a hop and malt aroma. Not bad - but I expected a little more character to it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - DEC 16, 2003
Orange with off white head that fades quickly. Grassy/musty/hops aroma. Mildly musty malt, faintly sweet, with sour notes. I'm not sure it it was intentionally this way, or if the bottle I had just hadn't held up well; I suspect the latter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ericnixon (741) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 15, 2003
Light malty aroma with a cloudy, dark-orange color. I take a sip and it's so light that it just slides by with the faintest notion that i just drank some beer. Some definate malty characteristics with a touch of the hops (not the "distinct hop aftertaste" they promise. different, but good.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 15, 2003
Another beer that didn't travel well over the Atlantic (or maybe English beers aren't as great as everyone claims). Orange with thin white head. Wet hay aroma, stale taste with an earthy punch when you swallow. Eh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - DEC 12, 2003
Liked it much more than it's cousin, Dry finish and a smooth malt undertone. A definate repeat buy

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 16, 2003
The pour a slightly hazy orange-amber color, the head monumental in size, the color a winsome light tan, and semi-creamy in texture, a fine sealing sheet of lace to seal of the glass. Sweet malt is the dominate aroma, very crisp and fresh to the senses, start is sweet with lots of malt, top is fair to middling in feel. Finish has a slight tartness, crisp in its acidity with the hops delicate in their spiciness, very dry aftertaste, and a drinkable brew.